I need a new saw...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: I need a new saw...

I need a new saw...

I bought my Sthil 028 in 1987. I've dropped trees on it, cut through Ice, ran over it with a tractor, seized it up, rebuilt it, cut hundreds of cords of wood with it. Well it still cuts good but I'm getting older and I just lost all of my ash trees here. Some are pretty damned big. So I've decided I need a new saw. Something big enough to do the work for me on these ash trees. I paid almost $400 for the 028 back in 1987, So I'm thinking $6-700 is reasonable considering inflation. Hell $800 is reasonable. But... I need to sell some junk off on Ebay to cover it.

So, anyone using something the love? It's got to take a 20"+ bar with ease, and I may spring for the magnesium case, (I intend to keep using it into my LATE 70's or 80's)

Tom

I'm a fan of Stihl, but my cousin, he cuts trees for a living, turned me on to a Husqvarna. I like it. I'd buy either without hesitation. I give the nod to Stihl if you want American made.
    blind/stitch likes this.
    ~ Brian

Life's too short to be in a hurry... Ride a T-Dub Hidden Content

2013 TW200
    2004 VTX 1300
    Hidden Content The Spirit of the Lizrd Rolls Forever.

I love my o26 Stihl, their saws are really tough to beat...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I picked up a ms270 a few years ago and really like it but the only other two I have used were aan old 025 and an old farm boss 041 I think.

i stihl have my old 028 in the shop but i replaced it with the newer 250 model of stihl.great little saws. iv'e cut pine trees with 30 in. butts ,firewood .cut 200 40ft power poles for domtar one year .light enough for limbing but able to knock down big stuff if your not in a big hurry .it's also easer on the back.the price range hasn't gone up much for stihl ,istill see ads for around 4to 5 hundred for their 250-270 range saws.

Keep your old saw and hire a Mexican to clean up the dead tries.

rbm
    I have an MS390 with a 20" bar that I'm very fond of. If I had to buy one today, I'd probably go with the 360 PRO to save some weight and add a little power.

I use a fairly old Stihl 034 w 18" bar. I stopped heating with wood 2 years ago. If I had to replace it, I would get the next size up.

| STIHL USA Mobile
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

I’ve cut all my own firewood for the last 30 years. I also log my own property, saw my own lumber on a Woodmizer LT40 sawmill, dry the lumber in my solar wood kiln, and build furniture.

I’ve gone through a few Stihls, mostly “Rancher” or “Homeowner” saws over the years. Currently I have a Stihl MS441 for felling and cutting up larger diameter trees, and a smaller (50cc class), faster, lighter Husqvarna pro-quality 346XP saw with a 20” bar. I love that saw and would recommend to anyone serious about chainsawing to take a look at Husqvarna’s Pro class of saws.

And don’t forget to always wear a good pair of Kevlar Chainsawing chaps.
    Tom Bettiker and fasteer like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links