Rode a KTM 300 EXC
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Rode a KTM 300 EXC

Rode a KTM 300 EXC

Due to the unfortunate injury of a fellow rider on a group ride this past weekend, the solution to getting all of the bikes out of the desert after 2-upping the injured rider back to civilization involved me riding the trail boss' KTM 300 out.

If you're curious, the trail boss piloted the injured rider's KLR 650 on the way out with the injured soul on pillion while I followed them up on my TW. We left the injured rider and my TW at a gas station and I got to know the trail boss a little better by riding pillion back in. If you've never ridden pillion over rough dirt, you're not missing any fun!

I thought for sure I was gonna get stuck on the 650 pig for the ride out, but instead I was treated to a few miles of desert riding on a machine the likes of which I'll probably never own.

Deep sand, ruts, bumps, who cares? On an unfamiliar bike I found myself cruising the trail at 10-15 mph faster than I was riding on the TW without even feeling like I was pushing it.

My first thought after parking the bike was "Oh!, that's why people like these things!"

I haven't put my TW up for sale or anything, but I definitely see the appeal. If I was interested in riding fast offroad I probably would have traded in my TW a long time ago, if anything seeing a more experienced rider than myself break a collarbone makes me happy that most of my trail getoffs have been at 20mph or less.

Still, for doing what they're made to do, those peppy little KTMs are really something!
    Fred, old white truck and admiral like this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Very tempting addition or alternative to the TW. Thanks for the teaser about KTM 300 EXC. Sorry about your test ride circumstances though, hurt buddy is muy malo.

That sounds like fun. Thanks for sharing the experience.

I will console myself by thinking of the extra maintenance and hospital bills that would come with an EXC.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

cant say i dont love my klx250s..its no ktm300 but it is def much faster off road then the tw.i owned it first and actually bought the tw for my wife...its still hers but i love the thing!
    If ya wanna live life in your own terms..ya gotta be willing to crash and burn!

MMI Orlando,FLA graduate 2/2000
    1987 TW200 - Pirelli MT21 front tire,'08 disc brake conversion, ..Maxxis Ceros rear tire, Honda VTR1000 rear shock,Fat pegs,Answer bars,...all stock otherwise
    2006 KLX250s - details on this one are for a different forum,..we'll focus on the TW...lol...basic bolt on upgrades,nothing to write home about.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    Still, for doing what they're made to do, those peppy little KTMs are really something!
    Yep. Yep.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Hope the downed rider is ok. At least you all were there to help out.

Been hoping to ride couple of my son's bikes out on the trail one of these days. One has a KX250F Kawasaki which I've ridden in the driveway, and the other a KTM 450 xyzabc something or other. Problem is besides the weather, they always doing maintenance on them and I never get the chance! Guess that's another good reason to keep the TW eh! ...but I would like to know how this bikes ride compared to the TW.
    elime likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Have three friends with KTM300's. They love'em and they have their place. I had a KTM250 at one time. KX250. Husky400 4T. Now have a KLX300 and WR426. Today I'll be riding the TW200. No fuss, no muss, no surprises. No tensed muscles. Just relaxing all the way. Maybe I'll take my helmet cam.

BTW, this is Trailscout. I liked the Trail Warrior thing so much I've decided to experiment with it as a new moniker.
    craig1178 likes this.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's the only way out.
    Hidden Content

I have a KTM 200 xc-w and it's the most fun woods bike I have ever rode. Still has a decent low end but can handle like a 125 at just 209 lbs and you don't need to wring the hell out of them to make power. When setup right with the correct suspension/sag they float over bumps, whoops, sand, logs and are really user friendly, and are single track dynamos! I was even lucky enough to get mine plated here in Maine too by being a little creative at the town office... but I would much rather take the TW down the road and through town, which I'm sure my neighbors would also agree.
    200xcw.jpg

Also DonBenito, If you haven't seen this video about the 300EXC it's worth a watch. I think I posted it here once before.
    old white truck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post

................they always doing maintenance on them..............

Are you sure it is not love ?
    admiral likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Are you sure it is not love ?
    Admiral: Want to go for a ride next Monday
    Son #2: I would, but I think there is something wrong with my clutch
    Admiral: Wasn't they way on our last ride
    Son #2: It might also need an oil change
    Admiral: Boy, you have to change the oil on that alot
    Son #2: Do you have any room in your shop for me to work on it....
    Admiral: Huh!

Admiral: Want to go for a ride next Monday
    Son #3: I would, but I think there is something wrong with the engine
    Admiral: Wasn't they way on our last ride
    Son #3: I think the top end needs to be re-built
    Admiral: Boy, you have to work on that bike alot
    Son #3: Do you have any room in your shop for me to work on it....
    Admiral: Huh!

My thought is:

1. These bikes need a ton of attention (which your comment may be on to something)

or

2. They're hinting they want me to work on there bikes!

You be the judge - Love of bikes or lets take advantage of the old man

P.S. I already am working on Son #1's and Son #3's street bikes.

P.S.S. In order to get a ride on one of there dirt bikes, I suppose I'd atleast have to help them work on it...right?
    elime likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links