Anybody know anything about mobile CB radio installs?
Close

Anybody know anything about mobile CB radio installs?

Company gave me a new truck and the factory installed antenna system sucks--can't get out more than 1/2 mile or so on a good day. Had a Firestick on my old truck and it worked great. Bought a bracket and mounted Road Pro center coil, and it fries the radio within 1 second of being keyed. Replace the fuse, and it blows as soon as the radio is turned on, so whatever is frying creates a direct short without having to key the mic. Checked the antenna, mount, and coax for continuity or lack thereof and all is as it should be--center pin at radio to antenna tip has 0 resistance, center pin at radio to ground has infinite resistance. Question is, can the SWR be that far off as to immediately fry a radio?

After reading enough of your posts, I recognize that you are pretty thorough. I'll mention a few things I know to see if they can help. I worked on radio's when I was an Electronics Technician in the Navy.

Does the fuse only blow if the antenna is connected?
    Even if the antenna had a dead short, this will not normally fry the fuse with the radio in receive mode.

At this point, I'd open up the radio, and see if possibly something has come loose, or worn through to the case that can be causing the short.

I'd say also try disconnecting the Mic and Antenna, and turn the radio on and see if the fuse blows. If not, switch the radio off, and connect the antenna again. Turn it on. If the fuse doesn't blow [and from your description of the resistance readings I don't think this is a problem with the Road Pro at this point] then it is something with the microphone. Maybe the radio is in both transmit and receive mode due to a short, or perhaps a loose wire in the Mic plug shorting to ground.

Right now, I almost suspect something with the Mic more than the antenna.
    Again, even if the SWR is far off, unless the Mic is keyed, the fuses should not fry.

Good luck.
    ~ Brian

Life's too short to be in a hurry... Ride a T-Dub Hidden Content

2013 TW200
    2004 VTX 1300
    Hidden Content The Spirit of the Lizrd Rolls Forever.

3 radios blown. The radios received until the mic was keyed, then the fuse blew. Replacement fuses then blew as soon as power was supplied--the radios shorted inside when initially keyed on the new antenna and stayed that way. Back to the original factory antennas, and the new radio using the same mic as the others is working fine, just no transmit range as before. I'll have to live with it until I can get home to a SWR meter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    You have a bad antenna, a shorted coax cable, or both, has to be one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Question is, can the SWR be that far off as to immediately fry a radio?
    Yes it can.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's the only way out.
    Hidden Content

3 radios blown up? Ouch. It's getting harder and harder to find good radio repairman... Good luck and I hope the blown radios weren't Galaxys....

All new components. I figure the cheap antenna is the culprit so I bought a better one. Two, actually, and a cophase harness, and additional mount. Not going to install it until I get home and have the correct tools for the job.

Sponosred Links