Something a Little Different
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By M C Toyer
  • 1 Post By qwerty

Thread: Something a Little Different

Something a Little Different

I debated whether this should go in the "Adventure Riding" forum, but since these are not TWs . .

Recon Motorbike Patrol 1969 crop.jpg

I looked that up and saw all your posts on the other forum but didn't read them all. Were you assigned to that unit? I see that they were 175cc bikes and they looked like Honda Dreams if these bikes are actually imported original bikes as they are represented to be.

chris_camp_38.jpg

Motorcycles have played a significant role in wars with some very unusual configurations. I've spent a few late nights looking at pics and reading about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post
    I looked that up and saw all your posts on the other forum but didn't read them all. Were you assigned to that unit? I see that they were 175cc bikes and they looked like Honda Dreams if these bikes are actually imported original bikes as they are represented to be.
    I served in the battalion through most of 1970, and the bikes had just been phased out. The photo shoot was actually for a magazine article, thus staged. In practice they were used mainly for road reconnaissance, often ahead of the daily foot mine sweeps. The riders carried sidearms with rifles or shotguns slung over the shoulder, neither of which offered a tactical advantage in an ambush. After this experiment they returned to the tried and true heavily armed jeeps but with little protection except for sandbags on the floor, but the jeeps were more likely to trigger the large mines meant to disable the lead vehicles in a convoy.

I personally never rode a bike nor even in a jeep. I was a foot soldier and survived by stealth and staying away from any road, trail or path. The bikes and most other vehicles were useless in the bush, paddies and swamps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Recon! Oorah!!

Were you in that unit too qwerty ?.

No. I worked with Marine Recon and particular units of other branches on the scout bike program riding XL250s during the mid 1970s. We got in to a few situations were civilians shouldn't have been, so some of us had the opportunity to partake of some training usually reserved for recruits. My dad was special forces and was determined his sons would be, so he started our training young. I had no problem mentally or physically with Parris Island. Coronado and Benning were challenging. Nothing but respect for the men and women who do it for a living.

Last edited by qwerty; 02-25-2014 at 07:23 PM.
    MCC1776 likes this.

Sponosred Links