What is the oldest thing you have owned and for how long?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: What is the oldest thing you have owned and for how long?

What is the oldest thing you have owned and for how long?

On the weekend my son and I were talking about what to do with the Grandkids this summer at the summer place. My son told me he wants to take them out in the rowboat which my Dad bought in 1956. It was purchased from Simpsons and later about 1957 we added a 7.5 hp Elgin engine. The engine got water into the cylinders and is seized but there is a 3.0 hp Eska from about 1980. So the boat from 1956 is still in use - but I am pretty cautious about the life jackets from the same era.
    I also still have the 48 base piano accordion that my folks bought for me in 1951. So at 62 years old - it was manufactured in 1948 it is the oldest thing I own that has been mine since I was 7 years old.
    How about you - any old treasures - useless or useful still in your treasure box?

Ithaca model 49 single shot saddle gun. Owned since 1967. It's still useful. I would have been 7 when I got it.
    Polarpilot and Hoot Gibson like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Bought my 1929 Ford Model A Roadster in 1965. Restored it. Still have it.

Model A 1965-1.jpgnew-1.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    I have a set of Craftsman tools that my father encouraged me to buy when I was 15 years old. It had a set of open end wrenches, and set of box end wrenches, and a set of 1/2" drives sockets with ratchet, extension and breaker bar. Still have it all including the metal box. That was 59 years ago. It was 28 dollars on sale.
    Mel
    fishguy and rurlndum like this.

I dug this out of a dirt floor in one of the buildings on our farm when I was 8 or 9. That would have been around 1949-50. I have no idea how old it is. My great-great grandfather homesteaded the place. Notice the steering wheel on the right side. Construction is cast iron.

IMGA0535.JPG
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's the only way out.
    Hidden Content

I have a number of relatively old things- some that have been in my life forever. To pick one of my favorite toys: when I was 6 my Dad bought a 1948 Willys CJ2A flatfender jeep. A wooden top that may possibly have been built for a WWII military jeep in Germany was (loosely) fitted on it. Can you say "rattletrap"? A total fav as we grew up, my bro and I would ride sitting on the hood while Dad drove WA logging roads. It was different then, no gates, no fences, and no one in the back country. It was actually RARE to find another four wheel drive!!! We got stuck fairly often, had old-jeep breakdowns fairly often, pulled cars out of ditches many times. We loved it and the adventures it took us on. I took my drivers license test in it, the large-ish inspector having some difficulty clambering in the little vehicle. It had no turn signals nor brake lights, so I did hand signals out the window!! The most ambitious trip the family took was a semi-expedition far into Canada with 2 canoes strapped to a huge home made rack. By then it had a winch. In the early 70's it was pretty far gone, still running, and I determined to rebuild the old kicker. A frame-up restoration ensued.

I still have it. Been around so long it's been 5 colors. Endless stories. I was a kind of bookish kid and had to learn to weld, wrench, rivet...insisted that I do everything myself, learning to rebuild transmissions and axles, gas torch work... Some excellent teachers surfaced out of the woodwork. Eventually it got a V-6 and a completely custom transmission; 20 forward speeds and 6 reverses including the PTO/electric winch. The jeep has been hi-lead across rivers and hung from trees, lowered & raised over vertical cliffs. It has rolled twice with relatively little damage and no injuries. There's a crane for the winch that has built houses, lifted huge objects, changed many engines. A vice is mounted on the front bumper, handy for sharpening chain saws, doing a field weld repair, or splicing winch cable. After a bad mud run, there's a washing system running though the undercarriage- hook up a garden hose and drink a beer while it washes itself. Longest trip was a 3 month stroll around the Southwestern States in 1980, long before there were dark tire prints on the friction rocks.

The jeep's main job now is servicing a hobby mining claim way back in the N. Cascades. It's a 5 hour trip with the jeep, crawling up an old mining track that has turned into a boulder strewn creek. TW does the same trip somewhat quicker & lots cheaper, but cannot haul an eighth as much as you can pile on that jeep. So the Willys gets used for the major moves. Have never gotten any other automobile clear in; quads have a hard time.

R.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 02-25-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    B-dub, Hoot Gibson, Fred and 3 others like this.
    2004 T-dub, 15/50-68 dual sprocket, modded carb, kickstart, weldment footpegs, EK o-ring chain, Shinko 241 front tire, Duro PG rear, Ride-on seal/balance f&r, Pro Taper bars w/ PG grips, folding mirrors, XT350 tank, f&r Cycleracks, Saddlemens gel seat insert, VisionX LED driving lights, TCI pan/guards, 230cc six speed engine/trans, Jimbo Shield (smoke); ongoing monkeyshinin'

Wow Mel. That would have been a significant purchase for a young man. That $28.00 in 1955 would be $243.00 in today's money. Looks like your got your money out of that purchase. Times change though. I have always bought Craftsman tools. Many times I would take in a broken tool and get handed a new one, no questions asked. Last time I broke a ratchet wrench I took it in...and they handed me a little bag of crap and told me to fix it myself. Sigh....
    Hoot Gibson and rurlndum like this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Smith and Wesson 01.jpg

Not the oldest things I own{but among my favorites}, my dad who passed away in 1972 and his mom, my grandmother, were both avid collectors....this Smith and Wesson .38 police special has a manufacturing code date in 1903...sold to the Van Wert County{Ohio} Sheriff named Fred Hott....it was used to dispatch a Ohio and Northeast Indiana Outlaw named Marvin Kuhns....I also have Kuhn's Iver Johnson which was on him when he met his match near Scott, Ohio, on the Van Wert/Paulding County Line....Kuhn was from Wolf Lake, Indiana, but left a trail of blood and robbery across Ohio and Indiana when Hott and his Posse' gunned him down in June of 1907.

Top...Fred Hott's S&W .38 Bottom...Marvin Kuhn's .38 Iver Johnson and a photo of Marvin Kuhn laid out on the County Sheriff Office Death Bed

Iver Johnson 1.jpg MarvinKuhns.jpg
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 02-25-2014 at 07:06 PM.
    rurlndum likes this.

Good golly. Marvin Kuhns was killed by a posse of 200 men armed with rifles and shotguns. Talk about poor odds. That was a good story Hoot.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Sorry, but this is interesting. They must have glued his nose back on according to this report it was shot clean off. The Bryan Times - Google News Archive Search
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links