Towing an AG200 on a Rav 4
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Towing an AG200 on a Rav 4

Towing an AG200 on a Rav 4

Hello Folks,

Been too long (freakin' winter). Well, Spring is nearly upon us, and it's time to get out there. So, I want to carry a Yamaha AG200 on a Toyota Rav. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciatred. I like this pic sent from a member in Alaska for his Yoda/TW adventures.https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...1a&oe=53134A1BP1010010 (2).JPG

From my quick bit of research the tongue weight limit on a Rav 4 is 150lbs, so a bike on a hitch carrier is gonna be way over. A small motorcycle trailer is bound to be safer. Personally, I'm no fan of hitch carriers or trailers. That's what I love about dualsport.
    Mongol Pete and rurlndum like this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Personally I think DonBenito is right. Your machine really isn't designed for the hitch weight of a TW. A trailer is a decent option, I fully understand the need to trailer on occasion. The folks over on this site might be able to help you with some further ideas. Tongue weight question - Toyota RAV4 Forums : RAV4World.com

Cool place to live. I plan on exploring there one day. It's fairly high on my list. I almost headed that way four years ago but got invited on a climbing expedition and took the offer instead.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. The AG tank is small, so I think carrying it into the wild with an SUV is smarter. Also, sometimes it's nice to have the family waiting at the campsite ;-)

Nova Scotia trip 046.JPG

Pete not a very good pic but this is a trailer I built for my trip to Nova Scotia Canada (rode the Cabot Trail on my TW) I went to a scrap yard and bought a 8" wide piece of channel along with some leftover steel from other projects and a 2000 lb trailer axle, tires lights etc. I decided to build it with no suspension and just run 20 psi in the tires because the load was so light anyways. Finished it the day before my trip and did not know what to expect. Its easy to pull behind my 4 cyl Camry and I was amazed how well it worked on my 5000 KM trip. Just another option.
    Mongol Pete and Pass Man like this.

Here's my 4'x 6' Tractor Supply Cargo trailer. I believe it was $600. I have a 2000 lb. tow rating on my CX5. I've even pulled this with my DR650 and the TW together over some pretty rough dirt roads. My DR is close to 400 lbs wet. and the TW 300 lb. gives me 600 more lbs. after trailer weight to use if needed for gas or water etc. I really like the ease of loading bikes as the trailer is low.
    Last edited by Pass Man; 04-30-2014 at 06:37 PM.
    Mongol Pete and Fred like this.
    My '87 TDub was born amidst the fervor of Miami Vice! And it looks like Don Johnson's wardrobe!Hidden Content Hidden Content

I've trailered the bikes over 1000 miles on freeways and dirt. My next planned trip will take the trailer over 9000 ft on a very steep mountain pass with 20 percent grades. I'm a bit worried that the CX5 with only 155 HP will be a bit underpowered but there's only one way to find out.
    My '87 TDub was born amidst the fervor of Miami Vice! And it looks like Don Johnson's wardrobe!Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Pass Man View Post
    Here's my 4'x 6' Tractor Supply Cargo trailer. I believe it was $600. I have a 2000 lb. tow rating on my CX5. I've even pulled this with my DR650 and the TW together over some pretty rough dirt roads. My DR is close to 400 lbs wet. and the TW 300 lb. gives me 600 more lbs. after trailer weight to use if needed for gas or water etc. I really like the ease of loading bikes as the trailer is low.
    I have the 5' x 8' trailer by the same maker......... Works "GREAT" Took a trip last summer to the G. canyon and back. 4,500 miles.. OMM.
    Pass Man likes this.

We have a rav4 5 speed with hitch receiver. A light single bike trailer would be good match. And like you say nice to be with the family at the end of long day exploring on AG.

Happy Trails
    Mongol Pete likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I love getting 35 MPG when traveling, therefore I bought the Mazda with a six speed manual. When towing to Southern Cal. I pulled 2 bikes and got 30 MPG. I was driving at 60 mph. On the way home it was 70 and my MPGs dropped to 26 but I'll take it. My Chevy Sierra would be getting 16.

Old Mad Max, I totally am impressed with these little trailers too! One should check the wheel bearings when purchased to make sure they are properly greased and tightened. Or just drive it 10 minutes and feel the hubs for excessive heat.
    Last edited by Pass Man; 05-01-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links