long winter makes me do strange things
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By plumbstraight

Thread: long winter makes me do strange things

long winter makes me do strange things

Tired of getting soaked when out to play. Haven't had this rig out all winter, figured I would see how this works. doors, back and sides might come later. May cause fogging up so just stopped at this. I have made since this a toolbox that covers the front from the windshield down. I am not one to go out and make a submarine with my rig. Just transportation for hunting and chores.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    r80rt and damasovi like this.

Looks like a dandy fix for rainy weather. Is the frame made from EMT?

I honestly hope you used Lexan rather than plexiglass for the windshield. I bought one of the first Polaris RZRs side by side UTVs when they first came on the market. Not only were the machines in short supply but the accessories were slow in hitting the market. I first made a windshield using plexiglass and it shattered into very dangerous shards on the first branch that hit it. After some research I learned that Lexan was the correct material and would bend, flex and even take a direct round from a hand gun but never break or shatter.

Love the cab you fabricated and agree that ATVs used in winter conditions are way more comfortable with some weather protection. I plow my driveway with mine in blizzard conditions and would love to have it fully enclosed with doors, wipers and heat but just having a shield gets my by pretty well.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the positive input. Yes, I did use lexan. I went in about an inch and a half and used zipties about every four inches all around except the bottom. I figured giving it a bit of room to flex would be better than trying to make it solid as I know it will want to bend a bit if slapped by a limb and just the movement of the quad. The frame is just rolled half inch solid rod. Where the frabric goes around the sides I took one inch x 1/8in flatbar, pulled the material over and around and drilled holes and sandwitched it with a piece of lath to hold the fabric in place. The frabric is thin but tough. It is used for sides on covered trailers for semi's. I suppose I have about 80 dollars into it not counting my time.

Looks good. LEXAN is also used in / on / around combat vehicles and in some refrigerator fruit / veggie bins.

So, Polaris makes a good atv ?.

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Looks good. LEXAN is also used in / on / around combat vehicles and in some refrigerator fruit / veggie bins.

So, Polaris makes a good atv ?.
    I suppose this is directed toward me. I won't answer that directly but I will tell you I have owned 2 Polaris Sportsman 500s and still have my 2008 Polaris RZR Razor and this all happened while I was the general manager of a very large Honda, Kawasaki and KTM dealership that sold five ATVs for every bike we sold. I just like the dependability of Polaris.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I took a quick ride the other weekend, up the mountain to Hurricane hills in the Olympic NP. Got 5 miles up the mountain and just about froze to death. Soaking wet with snow and slush. So I take the truck out to look for new trails . Cant wait for sunny weather.

Mattw, Love hurricane ridge. Only been up there twice as I am south of the mountains. The top is on a honda rincon. I am not going to go into what breed of machine is best. As for the rincon, it has been a good one for me. I don't use it hard though. Pulled a moose out in alaska through some tough going. Had a tandem trailer behind. Haven't used it for just cruising the trails. Now that I am retired I expect to do some riding around the country. Other states are more liberal about quads. The roof will be nice in the summer sun.

I have had some experience pulling belt drive units back to reality. Only reason I went with the honda.
    Last edited by plumbstraight; 03-05-2014 at 11:15 PM.

Sponosred Links