GoPro vs. IOn air pro cameras
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: GoPro vs. IOn air pro cameras

GoPro vs. IOn air pro cameras

Looking for feedback on what action camera to get. Basic 1st generation cameras from all manufacturers are very affordable but wifii features handy on 2nd and 3rd generation models is very attractive although at price premium. Image quality goes up incrementally with each generation.
    GoPro Hero line certainly is industry standard with alot of support, mounts, editing options. Always shooting through housings though,native imagery a little washed out so desired light balance can be tweeked in post-production editing, teletubby look etc are negatives to a casual operator. Don't want to spend alot of time editing and don't plan to make pro grade 4k videos, just 1080p. Do like slightly supperior image stabilization.
    iOn Air pro cameras seem to give warmer better looking videos before editing, easier to shoot and share w/o hours sitting in front of computer. Don't have as many mounts available it seems, like a vibration dampening chest mount.
    I wish videos posted had info on camera, settings, editing etc since some videos look and sound significantly better.
    Sony action camera, Drift and others also attractive but all have limitations.
    Those with cameras what would you recommend, what would you do differently now that you have experience?

Fred, I got no business weighing in on this, I need help to buy a cell phone. But, my resident electronic gear enthusiast recommends that you at least check out and research the Mobius. Mobius ActionCam So I am passing that along. I know this because I too am looking for one.
    Fred likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Fred, I have not used either of the camera's you've mentioned, but obviously the GoPro is a good camera. What I can mention is the Contour and Tachyon camera's. In the video below, I used both of these camera's on the ride. The Contour is the one you can see my helmet/visor, and the Tachyon you see my headlight cowling.

The Contour was barrowed from a friend and I don't have it anymore, but I've really like it. It was easy to use, good stabilization, rechargeable battery off usb port on the computer, and the video quality is pretty good. Only real issued for some, but not for me, was it only had a helmet mount used with goggles.

The Tachyon is not very good. My wife got it for me so I'll use it until it dies. It does have some stabilization, but not nearly as good as the Contour. Did come with a universal screw on mount & helmet mount. I don't like the video's I've done while mounted on the helmet. Too jerky, so I've fashioned a tank mount (via B-dub). I ditched both the universal mount and use dual lock heavy duty velcro to mount it on my tank mount. Though this is adaquate, I learned I needed to tether the camera via a lanyard to the handlebars. The dual lock is good, but under the bouncy rides I go on, it fell off on the trail once. Another negative is the camera is very sensitive to light changes. In the video below, I'm not using my homemade filter. On new video's I've done with this camera I used a piece of old green sunglasses lens (thin lens), cut it out and glued it to the camera lens. This helps alot, but again not as good as the contour. One last negative. The Tachyon uses AAA batteries and it is highly recommended to use Lithium batteries. And this has turned out to be true. Standard Alkaline AAA batteries just don't last very long at all!

Last edited by admiral; 03-07-2014 at 10:15 AM.
    Fred, elime and R100RT like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This is a subject of study for myself also. Have used a friend's Go Pro 2 a bit...good quality with limitations as others described. The field of view is so wide that aim doesn't matter much: the subject you want will be somewhere in the frame- hopefully. I don't personally care for the bulky square camera hanging off of everywhere you mount it. May very well end up with one, probably the 3. Industry standard= everybody has one.

This POV HD :: V.I.O. concept is much more appealing in many ways. Separate camera head that's quite small, a screen that will show you what you're getting, interchangeable camera heads. There are lots of 'buts' with the whole vio line-up. Older ones were called POV 1 and 1.5. There evidently are issues with the cable...the company doesn't seem to be very responsive to customer service. Be sure you read lots of personal reviews before deciding on it.

Anyone with first hand experience with this or other helmet cams, please pitch in your dos centavos.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 03-07-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    Fred likes this.
    2004 T-dub, 15/50-68 dual sprocket, modded carb, kickstart, weldment footpegs, EK o-ring chain, Shinko 241 front tire, Duro PG rear, Ride-on seal/balance f&r, Pro Taper bars w/ PG grips, folding mirrors, XT350 tank, f&r Cycleracks, Saddlemens gel seat insert, VisionX LED driving lights, TCI pan/guards, 230cc six speed engine/trans, Jimbo Shield (smoke); ongoing monkeyshinin'

I have the Liquid Image Impact goggle (NOT GOOGLE) cam. Impact

I liked the name Impact, it was reasonably priced (in case of a crash), and it makes fair videos. The down side is I look around a lot, especially on the asphalt as a matter of safety and being aware of traffic, so my videos are very shaky.

Maybe the more expensive ones have stabilization. If you have a choice get stabilization. You will be much happier in the long run.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

As long as we are on the subject, I also have a Swann camera that I haven't really tried out yet because I can't get a good mount without excessive vibration.

PC181253.JPG

The video it makes has horizontal lines across the picture. I can see the camera vibrating so I am sure that is the cause. Any suggestions from anyone?
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    As long as we are on the subject, I also have a Swann camera that I haven't really tried out yet because I can't get a good mount without excessive vibration.

PC181253.JPG

The video it makes has horizontal lines across the picture. I can see the camera vibrating so I am sure that is the cause. Any suggestions from anyone?
    Elime, I used B-dubs concept. A rubber 3" to 2" adapter, hose clamped to the non-stock (XT600) gas cap. A 2" pvc pipe (adjusted to height) with a small plastic disk jbwelded to the pvc pipe. Then dual lock as described above to secure the camera. (I didn't have the camera tethered yet in the photo). I then drilled a hole in the upper part of the rubber, through the pvc pipe and secured it with a bolt/nut. I also placed the pvc pipe down into the rubber adapter so that the pvc pipe rests on top of the gas cap. This helped reduce vibration some.

The camera still shakes quite a bit when I'm riding, but surprisingly, the shake does not show up very much in the video. Camera stabilization must help with that I'm guessing.

Bestis photo I've got of the setup.
    Fred and Pass Man like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thank you Gentlemen, have been web researching literally dozens of options and reviews w/ tech specs that leave me somewhat overwhelmed as to what I really want and need. One minute I want a $400 gopro 3+ , the next am considering sub $100 units to experiment with. Contours had good reviews years ago but company is no more. Used GoPro 2s abound so makes me think experienced users deemed it worthy to upgrade to 3 and then 3+.Admiral's video and sound quality for both cameras are very acceptable but not as excellent as some GoPro promotional videos ( perhaps due to extensive post editing and tweaking of light balance and other variables that are beyond newbie understanding).
    As an amateur thinking to experiment I would choose a iOn 2 or 3 if only I could find a "chesty " mount to minimize vibration. My opinion is based on older reviews stating much less pre-video settings and post video tweaking are required to generate acceptable viewing compared to GroPro2.
    I shall continue to web research until my brain hurts.I just wanted to share primarily tw rides that are pleasing to watch w/o having to master alot of videographer skills. However I am learning that third generation GoPros, iOns and Sony actioncams cam replace my other cameras while offering superior image quality, waterproofing, weight and wifii uploadability.
    Oh why did I buy replacement digital point and shoot camera last summer after water truck drove over old one on Tahoe's Rim Trail? I could have had a GoPro2 plus accessories for similar money and could be sharing videos and info today. Live and learn (hopefully).
    Thank you everyone. Your helpfull input has given me more research to do.

Admiral, love the picture of your family outing with your Better Half, Georgie and machinery. And I used to worry that I was loaded down with stuff! Never had the pic-a-nic basket though. What does the missis pack, fried chicken, dog food, ibuprofin?
    Your bike color and elaborate tank camera mount leave me in awe.

Elime, I saw on Amazon ca,era mounts a gell vibration dampening mount that I think was propriotory to GoPro but you folks have shown feasability of home modifications.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-07-2014 at 12:39 PM.

I have a gopro3 black and it's a great camera. The job adixxion is a great camera as well and has a lid display built into it. There will always be a new better camera around the corner but being one step behind isn't that bad. Being four steps behind will leave you wondering if it's time to upgrade. If you intend to use the camera alot then I suggest you pull your wallet out and kiss it goodbye. Buying a $100 camera will just leave you with a $100 bill sitting on a shelf when you inevitably buy the better camera you should have in the first place. If you don't intend to use it much then by all means go ahead and buy a cheap camera and play with it.

edit: The gopro cannot shoot video in the dark. It looks grainy and horrible. If you want to shoot in the dark look elsewhere.
    Last edited by PalmStateCrawler; 03-07-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    Fred likes this.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links