As Memory Serves.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: As Memory Serves.

As Memory Serves.

Being an old guy, and I am indeed an old guy. I get a kick out of people my age referring to themselves as middle age. Way I figure it, I have to live to 106 to be middle age. I'm an old guy. But the interesting thing about this old guy is I remember exactly how it was to be a kid. Exactly.

Those who have read me prattling on know that I and my nephew, the Weasel are going to take a trip to Big Bend. Very soon. And we have been getting ready. You might even say getting too ready, because we have used this trip as an excuse to spend a lot of time in the shop playing around.

Now the Weasel has a much younger brother, also my nephew of course. Shortstop. He is only 13 but as he points out, soon to be 14. We are all Boy Scouts. I've been one since age 11. We like to camp and do Scout stuff and we find ourselves together quite a bit.

Anyway, Weasel brought Shortstop over to the shop tonight. He had to hang out while Weasel and I went for a ride. The shop is a great place, and he was fine. But we were riding, and when you are 13, that's really were you want to be. And I know it. When we got back, the poor kid had to listen and watch as we loaded tools and did final prep. on the TW's. I know it was killing him, but he has school and he can't go. Besides, he doesn't have a bike.

It had to be painful. I know it had to be. And so Weasel and I got to thinking. We need to get this boy a TW. He is a big kid for his age. He has been around quads and bikes since he could walk. It's a necessary thing. He fits one just fine. Might be a bit much for him, but hey, we all crash and bump a bit and younkers bounce better anyway.

So, when we get back, we are going to find a way to locate and finance a TW for Shortstop. He needs one. Needs to be part of the team. I understand.

I fully imagine when it comes time for the Michigan Conservation Cycle Club Rites of Spring ride May 3, 2014 the Shortstop will be mounted on a TW...maybe not a great one, but a TW non the less.

Boys gotta be boys and Old men have to help them be boys. Besides, he's great company. A safe sane young man. A Boy Scout. And the kind of people I want to be around.

Keep your eyes open for me. Indiana, Michigan or Ohio. Not a high dollar TW, a serviceable TW. A starter bike. Something he can clean up, work on and learn on.

Borneo and Weasel would appreciate your scouting efforts.
    dette likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Good stuff Borneo. I envy that young man and his future experiences. I too remember how it was to be a kid. I remember being around thirteen and riding with my four years older brother and our three years older, than me, best friend. Our only cares were which fishing spot we were going to fish in the morning, and then where we were gonna go riding and then how hot we were gonna be before we had to go down to the swimming hole, otherwise known as "Catfish Paradise" and then where we were gonna take the 69 Land Cruiser today and how far we were gonna go on our pellet gun "hunt" and again another riding decision and once more where to go for our second fishing decision of the day...forgive my rambling but that's how it was one summer and to this day I remember it vividly and it was the best summer of my childhood. Shortstop is blessed to be thought of by you and his brother! I hope you guys find a great bike for him

...forgive my rambling
    It wasn't rambling. What you wrote exactly reflects the mood I was in when I made the post. Endless days riding as a kid, fishing in the farm ponds, going on adventures, contests with the old Benjamin Blue Streak. That's what was going through my head. And the adventures, and how it looked when older guys were going on them and you wanted too so bad. I was just having an empathetic moment I guess. Shortstop has lots of good times under his belt, and it's just time to help him into this whole new world of adventures that TW's bring. They are just so much fun to camp off of for instance, and he is lucky, Michigan (Indiana has to be last in the whole Country when it comes to this) has almost endless trails that can be ridden with an ORV sticker by youngsters under 16 if they pass the ORV safety course (applies to trail bikes too).
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Borneo,

If you feel like a road trip, I got a bike you may be interested in. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Tinman, I did PM you immediately. Got a response too. Strange thing though, when I opened it only my original message to you was there. I must have done something wrong but darned if I can figure out what.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Got it that time Tinman. Sent you my cell #. Thanks.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I remember being 15 1/2 and all my friends were 16 and had driver licenses, and some had cars. Now that was painful!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Noble stuff there Borneo, for too soon we outgrow the freedom of youth and put on the shackles of adult responsibilities. Those boys will build lasting memories and skills as they transition to young men wrenching and riding with Uncle Borneo. Helps extend your second childhood too I imagine.

"Uncle Borneo" That actually came from my Mother. As a kid I was wildly adventurous, and she always referred to me as "The Wild Man of Borneo"...must be some Canadian thing.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I envy those with close connections. Cherish them, for you won't know how badly you will miss them until they are gone, and then it's too late. *sniff*

Fred likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links