Good commuter bike
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Good commuter bike

Good commuter bike

So, my wedding is now bearing down, only 1 year away and I've since had to part with my Trans Am and I'm looking to sell my TW in May. Honestly, I'm having harder time selling the TW than I did with the T/A haha but anyway, my plan is to sell both and get a good commuter bike that will get good gas mileage to help save. Before you think I'm crazy though, I'm obviously not dumping all my money in to a bike haha, only about $4k-5k. My requirements are at least one disk brake, can handle Houston traffic and highways decently (go at least 80MPH, modern enough frame to be nimble and maneuverable, not too heavy). Fuel injection is a huge plus, being fast is a much bigger plus. So far I've been fixated on an SR400. Its not fast, but can go as fast as I need it to. But where it is slow, it looks amazing. So that's where I'm at with it. Reliability and fuel economy are most important. It needs to be somewhat fast. If it isn't fast, it needs to look very good. I know I sound picky, but I'd much rather spend my money on something I'm really satisfied with. I appreciate all the help in advance!
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

"Can handle Houston traffic"

From what I've seen of Houston traffic, there isn't a motorcycle made to keep you reasonably safe. I did notice an absence of motorcycles down there and I think I know why.

Good used V-Strom 650 with a Power Commander and dyno tune. 100+mph and 60+mpg, but not at the same time. $4-5K will get a nice one.

Truth of the matter is a beater Civic or such will be cheaper in the long run due to the relatively high cost of maintaining a motorcycle. Any motorcycle. Anything freeway capable will eat tires, and there go any fuel savings.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ninja 300. Cheap on gas, insurance, can do 110mph, quick too.

Honda 919. I'm on my 3rd one. Light, torquey, 100 horse, 45-50 mpg & 200+ miles to a tank.

What are you wanting for your TW?

I also have an old Hawk GT, that would make a great commuter that I would trade.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
    Honda 919. I'm on my 3rd one. Light, torquey, 100 horse, 45-50 mpg & 200+ miles to a tank.
    +1! I am a little biased though.... Still on my first one.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Good used V-Strom 650 with a Power Commander and dyno tune. 100+mph and 60+mpg, but not at the same time. $4-5K will get a nice one.
    That right there is pretty sound advice.
    I may be biased because I own a 650 V-Strom however it just might suit your requirements and then some. It isn't the prettiest bike on the road but in IMHO it gives excellent bang for the buck and then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The bike is pretty much bullet proof and makes a good commuter or tourer and will even get you off the pavement although not like the TW will. It is a tall and top heavy bike and does blow around in high winds somewhat especially when decked out for touring. A fork brace helps with that.
    If you really crave more power the 1000 V-Strom has 30 more horses. Top speed is about the same and it will get you there quicker than the 650 will but gas mileage is not as good and the engine is not as "refined" as the 650.
    Keep us posted and let us know what you end up with.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    "Can handle Houston traffic"

From what I've seen of Houston traffic, there isn't a motorcycle made to keep you reasonably safe. I did notice an absence of motorcycles down there and I think I know why.
    I was raised in Houston and have been acclimated to the "unique" driving styles of Houstonians. You know how they say you should ride like you're invisible? Well, in Houston you should assume the same when driving haha! But my commute is in the north East side of Houston and opposite the flow of traffic. So not bad at all, I just want to make sure I can keep up no matter where I am at.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post

Truth of the matter is a beater Civic or such will be cheaper in the long run due to the relatively high cost of maintaining a motorcycle. Any motorcycle. Anything freeway capable will eat tires, and there go any fuel savings.
    Insuring, parking, and getting a Civic to the point where I can enjoy it as much as a small bike would make it more expensive. Sorry, I should have said overall happiness with the vehicle is a priority too :P Trying to be picky as long as I can. I'm not a big fan of the V-Strom, just in appearance. I'm sure performance is exactly what I am looking for though.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post

What are you wanting for your TW?

I also have an old Hawk GT, that would make a great commuter that I would trade.
    Wow!!! I'm really really liking the Honda 919!!! Unfortunately I think fuel economy would need to be better for me to bite on it. I just am really wanting a four cylinder haha just I love the way the header looks on 4 cylinder bikes, love the noise, but I don't know if I need the power right now. I appreciate the offer! Please get in touch with me in May, that will be when I'm selling it. Trying to plan ahead haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Dubster View Post
    That right there is pretty sound advice.
    I may be biased because I own a 650 V-Strom however it just might suit your requirements and then some. It isn't the prettiest bike on the road but in IMHO it gives excellent bang for the buck and then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The bike is pretty much bullet proof and makes a good commuter or tourer and will even get you off the pavement although not like the TW will. It is a tall and top heavy bike and does blow around in high winds somewhat especially when decked out for touring. A fork brace helps with that.
    If you really crave more power the 1000 V-Strom has 30 more horses. Top speed is about the same and it will get you there quicker than the 650 will but gas mileage is not as good and the engine is not as "refined" as the 650.
    Keep us posted and let us know what you end up with.
    As said before, I just can't get sold on the looks. I can deal with ugly, but it has to be much faster to deal with it :P Sorry, I know I sound crazy picky, but I pick apart every major purchase! Ha! Still trying to get a little better fuel economy. For my goals, I don't think I need much more than a 500.

Thank you everyone for helping me get the ball rolling!!
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

Actually, is sounds like you are mis-representing what you want. Economics has nothing to do with your decision, does it? Yes, the Suzuki is ugly, but it simply works better for what you want than anything else on the planet.

If you don't like the V-strom, you can pick up a SOHC Honda 550 from the olden days, rebuild the carbs to resist ethanol, upgrade to electronic ignition, o-ring chain and a 5.10-16 rear tire, and do the service yourself at 3000 mile intervals for the cost of oil and a filter, and still be well within your budget. Angel and I rode a CB400F and a CB550 thus modified and treated to synthetic oil all over the southeast. Either will do what you want economically and from a performance perspective, with enough style that lack of size is not a concern. Lots of other 400-650cc classics out there that will work for you. Too bad we don't see new bikes like these on these shores--Europe is full of them.

I didn't like the looks of the v-strom at first but the more I researched I found the 650 to be attractive in various ways, especially the 2nd gen - I'd like to get one myself but I don't want to give up any of my current bikes.
    I'd take a look at a used Versys too - people who have them love them.

Good luck
    -Bill

Kawi ZRX1200
    Yamaha TW Two Hundirt

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links