New Smaller Cheaper Harley coming out soon
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: New Smaller Cheaper Harley coming out soon

Question New Smaller Cheaper Harley coming out soon

1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I'm glad to see smaller bikes coming back. Power density, material science and engineering are better than they used to be so you don't need to get into the viscous circle of: more power = more weight = sturdier parts = more weight etc. IMHO lighter bikes are a lot more fun to ride. Maybe more people are discovering it's fun to ride, instead of out "egoing" each other.

I hope it's not just a sign of declining affluence.

The 500cc-750cc worldwide market is a tough one to compete in but if the Street turns out to be a reliable, reasonably priced bike it might stand a chance. Harley has the network and brand loyalty but a lot of their demographic is getting older and sales to that group is getting smaller as some retire from riding and some move to the other notable brands. If Harley is going to hold market share they know they have to focus on younger riders with less disposable income. I'd like to see them do well this time. They've had a terrible history introducing new models in the past such as the Sprint, Bobcat, Topper and such. They were just too far away from what "Harley" meant to it's customers.

I just hope they're ready to butt head to head with the experienced companies they're competing with. I don't know if they have to reinvent their brand identification but they do need to evolve it to compete, in my opinion.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana View Post
    I hope it's not just a sign of declining affluence.
    It is.

The number of people selling their big HDs because of "back problems" is directly correlated to the decline of their salaries/pensions/home values.

A sore back is easier to acknowledge than:

• I can't afford the payments,
    • I can't afford the truck to haul it to Daytona or Sturgis, or the motel, if I ever got there.
    • in fact I can't even afford the gas to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TWisty View Post
    It is.

The number of people selling their big HDs because of "back problems" is directly correlated to the decline of their salaries/pensions/home values.

A sore back is easier to acknowledge than:

• I can't afford the payments,
    • I can't afford the truck to haul it to Daytona or Sturgis, or the motel, if I ever got there.
    • in fact I can't even afford the gas to get there.
    You might be right about that. On CL, you see so so many Harleys. I often wonder when the time comes to sell mine if I will get anything near what it's worth.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

New Smaller Cheaper Harley coming out soon

The street 500 is a nice bike, they aren't out yet for purchase, but the riders edge course has them for training.. My GF and I took the BRC 2 weekends ago, we were the 4th class to be on them for training... It's a basic bike with FI and Liquid cooling... And for first and 2nd gear it felt great in the parking lot we were training on 👍 the 500 had plenty of power. My GF is undecided if she wants one of those, an 883 iron, or a TW of her own... I think if they offer the street in voodoo purple flake she will be getting one of those

If it was available now I may have been tempted to buy it instead of the TW... But I've got my Tdub, don't plan on getting rid of it, but I'd like to own a street glide for longer / highway / weekend rides

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crashking; 04-07-2014 at 06:39 PM.
    Fred likes this.

I like that the street retains Harley Davidson look and sound. It might do very well overseas where the look might be desirable but not the purchase and operating costs of traditional HDs.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post

I think H~D is starting to realize that they are about to get their asses kicked by Victory on quality and price....and thinking people aren't buying what they are selling....just MO...but, the game has changed!
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I like that the street retains Harley Davidson look and sound. It might do very well overseas where the look might be desirable but not the purchase and operating costs of traditional HDs.
    They are gonna need some pipes for the sound, the ones we were riding were quiet... Could be something just for training however... They were outfitted with anti roll over bars as well

Hoot Gibson, Fred and evan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashking View Post
    They are gonna need some pipes for the sound, the ones we were riding were quiet... Could be something just for training however... They were outfitted with anti roll over bars as well

Looks awfully familiar to me.

Buell_Blast.jpg

The fact is that HD's brand is built on big, heavy, noisy American Iron. That's what most Harley fans love them for. As can be seen by the interest expressed here and in the comments below the linked article, there are definitely some potential customers but it's my guess that most people who want a Harley don't want a 500cc bike and most people who really do want a smaller displacement bike don't want a Harley.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links