Virago 535 Power Loss while driving
Close

Virago 535 Power Loss while driving

Quick question for those with duo carburetor bikes. My Virago 535 has this strange problem where it will be cruising and all of a sudden it will bog down then stop. Now it doesn't shut off when it does this but it will not take any throttle commands.
    The tricky part is that if I grab the clutch in and rev the throttle a few times I roars back to life. Now it can do this the whole time I am driving it. It seems to me the slights throttle movement while moving at a set speed causes this more then not.
    Could this be a generator issue? Cause if memory serves me correctly I had a guy work on the carbs to clean them out. So I am guessing its not them but the way it loses all power till a hit the clutch then rev it seems to me like its missing some power to keep going. Then the clutch seems to re-set it then throttle clears it and brings it to life (be in a short time but still brings it back) Any ideas?

I don't think it is an ignition issue, clean the carbs thougherly and the fuel supply lines for a good flow. A carburetor is a fuel metering device and all jets and passageways have to be absoutly clean. When you get your bike running, use it, don't let is sit around. My TW doesn't sit around at all.

Quote Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
    I don't think it is an ignition issue, clean the carbs thougherly and the fuel supply lines for a good flow. A carburetor is a fuel metering device and all jets and passageways have to be absolutely clean. When you get your bike running, use it, don't let is sit around. My TW doesn't sit around at all.
    This has been the issue since I purchased it from one of the local Mason from my lodge. He kept it amazing. I ran it all the time when I did use it. Now not sure if its part of the issue but in November I attempted to start it up and instead of hearing the fuel pump click to life...I heard nothing. So my fuel pump for sure is gonzo. Could of the fuel pump of been the issue? Could of it been on its last leg for several years then just finally took the dirt nap? Cause like I said I had to rev it up with the clutch/throttle in to roar it to life. Could that combo of allowed for the fuel pump to rest long enough to be OK again or maybe for the carbs to vacuum up more gas pressure to allow to proceed again? That actually has me think that could of been it. Essentially starving itself. Cause it never killed itself off but it sure as hell wasn't going anywhere. Anyone with an idea?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I had a similar issue with my SV650, recently. My carbs were clean, but I had gotten a little water in the gas. In my case, revving the bike with the clutch in was easy (so little power required), but it would not move on its own. Draining my float bowls fixed mine.

Your issue does sound like it could be fuel pump related. Can you drive around the neighborhood (25 MPH) without it doing this? If so, the fuel pump could be giving out (or just have a partially plugged line). You should be able to find out the fuel pump flow rate on line, and then a watch and a good measuring cup will tell you if the pump is okay.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by mmclaughlin View Post
    I had a similar issue with my SV650, recently. My carbs were clean, but I had gotten a little water in the gas. In my case, revving the bike with the clutch in was easy (so little power required), but it would not move on its own. Draining my float bowls fixed mine.

Your issue does sound like it could be fuel pump related. Can you drive around the neighborhood (25 MPH) without it doing this? If so, the fuel pump could be giving out (or just have a partially plugged line). You should be able to find out the fuel pump flow rate on line, and then a watch and a good measuring cup will tell you if the pump is okay.

Matthew
    It seemed like it didn't matter how fast I was going. On the highway...I think allowed me a long sprint of time but I think it was about even overall. Yeah I would just be driving at a set pace or speed/slow up and it would do it. Now like I mentioned before I think that I had the carbs rebuilt cause when I first got it the little cruiser would do like 60mph and then hit a wall then eventually it would do its bullcrap. Then I had them cleaned and I got to a Top speed of 85mph ripping me almost off the pegs (cruisers foot pegs suck for speed)without no issues...except it would bog out again. Cause I originally took it to them cause of the issue. Said they fixed it but good chance they didn't ride it very far.

Is your fuel tank venting properly?

What about a marginal battery ? I've had simalar simptoms on a quad one time. The battery would crank the motor to start but voltage would drop when cruzing, giveing me a weak/ intermittent spark condition.
    just thinking ....
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gregor View Post
    What about a marginal battery ? I've had simalar simptoms on a quad one time. The battery would crank the motor to start but voltage would drop when cruzing, giveing me a weak/ intermittent spark condition.
    just thinking ....
    Yeah the battery was brand new every time i used it (stupid cross over terminals are hard to find). I probably put 3 different brands in it and all the same. The only thing else I could of imagined was stator electric generator was bad. Bought one but never put it in.
    Siliverwing, the tank is a two piece deal with a main tank under the seat and the reserve on top where the main tank is normally at. It does have good ventilation.
    Which leads me to think maybe its the generator and the fuel pump was the reasons.

Sponosred Links