Royal Enfield Tech Question (Brake light)
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Royal Enfield Tech Question (Brake light)

Royal Enfield Tech Question (Brake light)

Proved impossible to register over at the Enfield forum so I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone can help.

Problem: Brake light is on all the time.

What I know:

Bulb is fine.
    If I disconnect the rear brake pedal switch the brake light still stays on.
    If I remove the front brake lever and DEPRESS the switch "tit" the brake light goes out and the tail light is on as it is supposed to be.
    If I depress the front lever switch "tit" so the brake light goes out and depress the rear brake pedal the brake light comes on as it should.

What the heck is going on? Any help appreciated.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I did find this link. Rear Brake Light on All-time

Anybody understand what the last poster is saying? He seems to say the switch is working correctly when the light goes out when the switch is depressed. Something about cable tension, but I don't get it.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

rbm
    Does the front switch have three connections? What actuates the front switch?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There appear to be two wires coming from the front switch. I can't tell what really activates it. I removed the front brake lever pivot bolt (the usual setup) and just lifted it away. In the housing is a little push switch. If I take a small screwdriver and push it in, the brake light goes out and the tail remains on as it should. I feel just like the guy in the post I linked...it seems backwards. Like pushing in the switch should turn the brake light on. But it doesn't. It stays on, and when I depress this little switch it goes out. It seemed like the guy in the forum posts I linked said that was the way it was supposed to work, but I am confused. He says something about cable tension keeping the switch depressed, which I take to mean when the brake lever is pulled this would some how take pressure off it. Very confusing.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I haven't tried to take the switch out yet, but looking down into the lever housing, the terminal end of this (what is pictured in the link below) is pretty much what I can see...the little "tit" thing (my apologies for using that word, but I can't think of a better in my frustration) http://autospares24x7.com/store/medi...RE-G00233A.JPG
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Seems like the front brake switch is a "normally closed" switch, opened when the lever is actuated. Is this so?
    Greg

Seems like the front brake switch is a "normally closed" switch, opened when the lever is actuated. Is this so?
    That's kind of what I gather from what I have read Gregor. If I depress the switch with a screwdriver it opens/turns off brake light. However, actuating the lever when it is in place does nothing at all. Which leads me to believe the switch isn't making whatever kind of contact it is supposed to with the lever.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

rbm
    Perhaps the "tit" is worn down or there is a depression on the lever or the lever never gets to full rest position and the switch never gets fully actuated when the lever is at rest.

I have the feeling it is one of those two, worn down or not seated correctly. I will investigate further. I was initially stumped by depressing the switch to turn brake light off. When I looked at the shape and mechanics of the brake lever, I just couldn't (and still can't sitting here) figure out how that would work. I'm on it. Thanks for the help, I will report back. I may even try the tightening cable thing suggested in the linked post too, front brake "feels" right to me, but hey, it's an Enfield, primitive as heck, field repairable with beer cans, moss, coat hangers and duct tape.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I think it works the same as our TW switches. Recently I changed bars and added risers to my bike and it was a little bit of a stretch. My brake switch pulled out slightly and then I had the rear brake on all the time. It has to be plugged in well for the plunger to depress or the light will stay on. I ordered a new switch (about 10 bucks) but it didn't want to stay in very well either. I ended up using the old switch and saving the new one for later use if needed. I plugged it in, held it in all the way and put a tiny screw in from the top of the housing to get it to stay. So far so good, it's fixed. If it's not in all the way, the brake light will come on. The plunger has to be depressed for the brake light to work right, then when you pull the brake lever, the plunger is allowed to come out and the brake light goes on.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links