650 V-Strom...Opinions?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 650 V-Strom...Opinions?

650 V-Strom...Opinions?

Hi all. I'm looking at a 2004 V-Strom 650 for sale near me and am wondering if any of you can provide some input / personal experience.
    The bike is a 2004 with 21,xxx miles. The condition is excellent and no immediate maintence costs needed. Extras include aluminum panniers, givi top case, engine guards and LED fogs.

Cost is $3500

Does this sound like a reasonable price? Are these capable bikes? Would I miss my TW?
    God willin' and the creek don't rise.

650 V-Strom...Opinions?

I bought min last summer and love it. That price is not terrible especially with the goodies. Mine came similarly clad but with soft panniers (and a cheapo top box that I removed. Same mileage give or take a few thousand and it's an 06 and I gave 2700 in Houston Texas area. If you like it you can always beat on the price a little if it makes you feel better but I wouldn't say that is out of line price wise

Coming off a drz 400 the experience was awesome on street, the bike is more than capable for it's intended purpose of street distance touring with the occasional dirt fire road thrown in. It will definitely not replace the TW IN THE OFF-ROAD tractor type riding category. I've put around3k miles on mine so far with many more planned and I have no complaints. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hellwig; 05-11-2014 at 08:31 AM.
    87 TW200 the little beast lives and breathes- FIRE!
    00 TTR125
    03 DRZ400E
    06 TTR125
    06 DL650

They are solid motorcycles. I have had 2. I found them a bit boring but that is completely subjective. They have a lot going for them.
    50short likes this.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yan
    Quote Originally Posted by 50short View Post
    The condition is excellent and no immediate maintence costs needed.
    Has the PO done valve adjustments? From what I've heard it's pretty involved (such as draining coolant and taking off the radiator)

Would I miss my TW?
    Probably, especially if you use it for trail riding.

sent from a mobile device so don't take typos and bad grammer personally

Alright. 'Nuff said. I'm keeping the TW. I always have a tendency to get "flighty" in the Spring time and make hasty decisions. I'm also a little skeptical of the composite engine components. I'm old-school and like alloy and iron. The TW is such an anvil and so simple. Too cool to get rid of I'm afraid. Sometimes I feel the on-road touring limitations and want something a bit bigger. Then I read one of Lizrdbrth's posts and jump right back onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The vstroms are great bikes. I have an older sv650 which is where the vstrom motors came from. Mine has 30,000 miles on it and the valves are still in within spec. As long as the motor has oil you cant kill them. I know a guy who has two of them and one had 180,000 miles on it the last time I talked to him and his other had 85,000. They definitely dont handle like an sv but for what they are they do pretty good. But they arent really adventure bikes like a bmw. They are ok for gravel but not much more. Will they go off road yes but with the mag wheels and crummy suspension there better suited to pavement and gravel. They dont compare to say a bmw adventure bike if your looking to offroad but neither doess the price.
    50short likes this.

The versatility of a TW, especially with a "kicker" is hard to compete with , regardless of the others CC's . JMO
    50short likes this.

The only solution is MBS. Strom torque loves suspension upgrades--become surprisingly agile on mountain 2-lanes.

Honestly! I had to Google: V-Strom 650. I didn't know what it was. Turns out: I don't care.

I come here for TW200 stuff. Just sayin', bro.

I thought the "off-topic and other bikes" section was for, well....you know...other bikes?? Just sayin'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links