Anyone own a BMW touring bike?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Anyone own a BMW touring bike?

Anyone own a BMW touring bike?

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges but I'm just curious, I guess it goes without saying that the ride is more comfortable then a TW but I'm wondering about the engine noise. Is the BMW significantly quieter? I guess I've gotten the bug. Lately I've been thinking about touring long distance.

Another thing, it sure seems like the size of the motor on most touring bikes is overkill. Seems like an 800cc motor would be plenty. BMW lists one 800cc bike in their touring lineup. The F 800 GT Anyone here have an opinion on that model?

Any of the other major motorcycle manufacturers produce a good quality smaller bike designed for loaded long distance touring?

Please excuse the novice questions.

Bob

The 800GT is a popular bike. It is pretty light for a touring bike but it does work. It is enough power as well. You can opt for the traction control and electronic adjustable rear shock and it is a nice package. We sell a fair number of them. I am finding guys are moving into smaller bikes like this and moving away from the bigger but more capable FJR and Concours. The new BMW R1200RT is very nice but will set you back 20k+

Another option is getting a used R1200RT. They are good relievable bikes and well proven.

Another possible option this year is the Ninja 1000. They now have a nice touring bag set and the bike is pretty small. You get more power with this bike and less efficiency.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Really? BMW? Wrong forum. I think.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Rode an R1100GS for a long time. I love BMW bikes, they truly are wonderful machines. Yes, they are quiet and comfy on the road but with the quiet power and comfort comes size, weight, compexity, expense and lesser fuel economy. I'd go with shaft drive everytime for distance touring if given the option. The boxer twin is a time-tested and proven power plant. The older ABS was problematic and the butterfly bushings in the throttle body would wear and cause an erratic idle.

I'd say the 800 would suffice for distance touring but it won't run as seamlessly and smooth as the boxer guaranteed. Id try riding both of them before deciding on one. Good luck!
    billmags likes this.
    God willin' and the creek don't rise.

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
    really? Bmw? Wrong forum. I think.
    "off-topic and other bikes"
    IzakGt, jb882, 50short and 3 others like this.

"Another option is getting a used R1200RT. They are good relievable bikes and well proven."

That raises another question. Typically how many miles can you put on one of those bikes before they start needing work requiring major expense? Reason I ask is I've seen a number of used BMW touring bikes with 35,000 + miles on them.

Nice looking bike. The riding position looks rather comfy. I'm personally chomping at the bit for a f800gs I love the looks of those enduro style bikes. I have never had one but I *hear* they are reliable even at that mileage so I've been told every time I duck in to the local BMW bike shop, but what sales person wouldn't tell ya that.. My family members are into Harley's and I'm blown away by the maintenance cost. I don't know what BMW is like but it wouldn't be surprise if it's about the same.

Sold mine with 70,000.
    God willin' and the creek don't rise.

The bigger engines on a touring bike are not at all overkill. If you are going for a long days ride to eat up miles the last thing you want is a smaller motor that is going to buzz at higher RPM all day on a lightweight bike that will get blown all over the place on the freeway and constantly belt you with wind. It will make you tire out really fast, that's why most distance tourers are 1000cc or bigger and the bikes are big and heavy with large fairings. It is also nice to have the extra power so your not rowing at the transmission all day.

My Ducati is considered an "adventure tourer" and while comfortable on long rides its not an ideal touring bike. The light weight makes it get chucked around on the freeway a good bit and while it has a ton of power its not the low rpm torque that most of the better touring bikes have. My Multistrada is more of a sportbike on stilts that is comfy to ride and in a pinch can eat up some miles although the fuel range sucks at under 200 miles per tank on the freeway. I'm good for ~400-500 miles a day on the Duc and i'm flat out whipped, i compare that to my old 1100 shaft driven Honda that i could easily do an iron butt on because it was soooo much smoother and didn't get thrown around on the freeway. Personally if I was going to some distance touring i would be looking at a BMW R1600, Kawasaki 1400 concours, Yamaha FJR 1300. Something along those lines, big and heavy with shaft drive with great wind protection and a big fuel tank. If i wanted another "adventure" for touring on the BMW 1200GS would be my choice. Since i don't "tour" really at this point my Duc is the perfect bike for me, sport bike fast and handling with the ability to ride if a couple hundred miles in a day to go play in the mountains and back.
    IzakGt and williamemack like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Gear, Parts & Accessories for Adventure Motorcycle Touring - Touratech-USA
    got one and it can be yours. R1100 GS red ,ABS, 25,000 factory luggage , 2 side and 1 top cases . crash bars . modulating head and brake lights , fog lights . QUIET . . Second owner . real main seal replaced under warranty . did not leak but it was free I was told and clutch was greased with new BMW spline lube . I always wanted one in high school . had a Honda then, Ducati Monza . Went off to be a Dirt bike racer . Boke a bunch of stuff , Mainly Bones . .Bought it before I retired as a group of us were going to take a trip to Alaska. But as time will take its tole on the best laid plans , the others flaked out or died before it happened . Been Putt Putted most of its life. NEEDS to get off the porch and run with the big dogs. All they have here in Arkansas Are Hog riders . Not my cup of tea. Wife won't ride with me since I crashed her up back in 1965 when in high school . . pushing 70 now and small boring it. Beemer is just too much . And the bastards at Morten Salt are putting a lot MORE salt in the forty pound bags then they used too. I am a thinking that the hay bales are getting to be about 150 pounds also. I ran it up to I believe 130 last year just to heat up the pipes The 400 pound TW at 50 is more like what I can handle these days .Was in California 12 years back ,too bad your so far away.
    The older I get the FASTER I was
    Norm in Arkansas
    rurlndum likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links