Torn between two type of bikes....I'd appreciate some opinions!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Torn between two type of bikes....I'd appreciate some opinions!

Torn between two type of bikes....I'd appreciate some opinions!

Right now I have a CRF230L and a CB900 - I'll probably keep the CRF because it's an awesome DS bike being only 260 pounds - but I'm thinking about trading the CB900. I love the bike, it has 55k miles (36k of which are mine) and it has never let me down...but the one thing I don't like is the weight. It's a handful trying to get it turned around in tight spots, and if you're pointing down any sort of incline you're screwed. Ain't no way to back the thing up.

I'm looking for a lighter bike that can be thrown around a bit more and can be maneuvered around manually without a problem.

Right now I'm torn between getting a CBR600RR, and getting a super-moto type bike. I really like the DRZ400sm - Lightweight, and 30HP can be plenty of fun for what it is. Light off-road duty for exploring the rougher rocky mountain roads is a plus too - but not totally necessary because I could just use the CRF. I like the CBR600RR because it should have unparalleled handing on the fun mountain roads; but while it is about 90 pounds lighter than my CB900 it's much heavier than the DRZ.

With on-road performance being the main priority, which bike would have the best handling and overall provide the most fun? I'm aware of the drastic differences in power, but the 30 HP is more than enough for my needs. I like the DRZ's weight, and I like the CBR's overall performance and of course engine longevity...but seeing as I have rode neither (And probably won't be able to) I can't decide which one to get.

Anyone with experience on both types of bikes have any feedback?
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

rbm
    Good luck in your search! FWIW, 90 lbs. isn't going to make that much of a difference when trying to back up an incline. I'm a little biased since I have a 919 myself but I think you'll miss having a larger motorcycle for road duty if you go with the DRZ, I know I would...

What about the new Yamaha FZ-07 with 700 cc and 397 lb wet weight?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Good luck in your search! FWIW, 90 lbs. isn't going to make that much of a difference when trying to back up an incline. I'm a little biased since I have a 919 myself but I think you'll miss having a larger motorcycle for road duty if you go with the DRZ, I know I would...
    Probably not a huge difference for overall maneuverability, but if it feels significantly lighter and more agile on the twists I'd love to own a 600. I'm just trying to figure out if a super moto would be even more agile and more fun due to the light weight, or if the 600 would be superior due to the fact that it is a race replica. Hard to say without riding both.

I'll definitely miss the badass low-end power of the 900. Damn thing will climb a mountain in 6th gear with the engine running at around 4k! Other than that though, I can live with not having 100 HP. It's fun, but 30 HP on a 300 pound bike is damned fun too. I won't be able to charge up a mountain at 100 mph, but honestly I need to cut that crap out anyway before I or someone else gets hurt. But man.... The engine just sounds so badass going from 5-7k climbing a steep grade it's easy to get carried away.

Quote Originally Posted by docjekyll2002 View Post
    What about the new Yamaha FZ-07 with 700 cc and 397 lb wet weight?
    Looks to be a pretty cool bike; a 700cc standard under 400 pounds is pretty hard to come by. I'm not too fond of the styling of modern standards though...funky headlights and whatnot. Oldschool plain round headlight looks better in my opinion. Something to consider though, perhaps.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

Also, the only thing that concerns me with the DRZ is that suzi engines got nothin' on big red when it comes to overall smoothness, balance and longevity. If I can't get at least 50k miles out of the engine I can't really afford to buy one. I test rode a DR650 that I was thinking about buying a while back and the damn thing ran like crap compared to the 230L. Ran rough, sounded like crap and vibrated like crazy compared to the silky smooth 230L. Hell, the 230L is almost as smooth as the inline 4 in my 900.

It really sucks that big red doesn't make any good super moto bikes. They had the 230M a while back, but it only has around 13-15HP like my 230L. I'll be damned if they don't take their new CBR300R engine and make an ass kicking 300cc super moto bike with it. I'd be all over it! Or better yet, just take their old CB450 inline twin and turn it into a super moto. Damn thing would go 200k miles! If only I had the mechanical know-how to fabricate my own custom SM.....
    Last edited by Dark Sol; 07-25-2014 at 04:54 PM.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

Check out the Suzuki SV 650.

rbm
    I think the DR4 is pretty bulletproof from what I know about them but IMHO it would get old after the initial excitement wore off. I would love a SM but I know I would regret getting rid of my 919 in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sol View Post
    but honestly I need to cut that crap out anyway before I or someone else gets hurt.
    Good thinking. And that is why I no longer have my Valkyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    I think the DR4 is pretty bulletproof from what I know about them but IMHO it would get old after the initial excitement wore off. I would love a SM but I know I would regret getting rid of my 919 in the long run.
    I definitely hear you. The good news though is that you can get a 919 with under 10k miles for around 3-4k, even the older 03-08 CBR's and DRZ's will fetch at least that much if I decide I want my good 'ol CB back. If I had some cash to my name I'd never even consider parting with the 900. heck, just give me all four. CB, CRF, DRZ, and CBR!

Quote Originally Posted by rurlndum View Post
    Good thinking. And that is why I no longer have my Valkyrie.
    So even the cruisers tempt you to be wreckless huh? Too bad you had to get rid of such an awesome bike. Them damn HD V-twins got nothin' on a Valk. The V-twin will rattle apart in less than 50,000 miles; while the perfectly balanced inline 6 will go on for a million miles. (At least!)
    rurlndum likes this.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

well if you really want my opinion, you should get another TW200 and have another 15k of fun. I'm simply pointing out the obvious.
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links