Any suggestions on a larger Dual-Sport bikes?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Any suggestions on a larger Dual-Sport bikes?

Any suggestions on a larger Dual-Sport bikes?

I am flirting with buying another on/off road bike. I am interested in something that will be more comfortable (at 60 mph) on road, but can still ride on Forest Service roads, gravel roads, etc. I still want something fairly easy to manage off-road with about 70% off-road. I have narrowed it down to three bikes (in order of my current preference):

Husqvarna 650 Terra
    BMW 650 GS Sertao (love the looks of this bike but not sure how capable it really is off-road)
    KTM 690 Enduro R

I appreciate any input or experience on these or any other 500-700cc dual sport bikes.

Thanks again

Explorer

Beta makes some very good dirt oriented dual sport bikes. The Husky and BMW are more Adventure than Dual Sport. It all depends on your intended riding goals and destinations. If you really want good dual sport experiences you might want to avoid all the Adventure Tour bikes.
    Maybe to keep weight down I would consider Beta 520RS or KTM 500EXC, both around 260 lbs stock, six speed, about 50 hp and $10,000 for good dual sport candidates.
    The 690 is a bit over 300lbs.
    The 400+ lb Adventure tourers are cheaper and would make better commuters though.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-08-2014 at 04:36 PM.

I recently sold an Aprilia RXV 4.5. That was 268 lbs or so and 50-55 HP in a V-twin. The V really helped smooth it out. If you can find one used, the prices are pretty reasonable and the build quality and component quality are both very high. They don't like to start in cold weather, though. I used 0w-60 oil in the winter and that helped, but the battery is small. Down to freezing or high 20's I could start all right, but colder than that was no go. A bigger/better battery would have done it.

A lot of the parts that someone might want aftermarket parts for are compatible with Honda bikes, so Parts for Hondas drop in (foot pegs, clutch, heads, and I have no idea what else).

Matthew

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

KTM has a 390 which is made in India, coming late this year to US. While a "naked bike" and produced by the KTM partnership with it's 47% Indian owners, I think this might just be a really viable dual sport with minor mods. I like the 690, but the price is a bit more than I want for just my purposes today and nicely oriented. You could ride it a lot of places however. The 390 weighs only about 50 lbs. more(fully loaded w/fuel) than the TW.
    Last edited by dogonit; 09-08-2014 at 05:02 PM.

How about a 900 Triple Scrambler?

87bags likes this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Quote Originally Posted by SHAG View Post
    How about a 900 Triple Scrambler?

In laws are visiting and I could not get up and go to the dinner table after seeing this. Google image search for Rosie O'donnell and all is well again

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by dogonit View Post
    KTM has a 390 which is made in India, coming late this year to US. While a "naked bike" and produced by the KTM partnership with it's 47% Indian owners, I think this might just be a really viable dual sport with minor mods. I like the 690, but the price is a bit more than I want for just my purposes today and nicely oriented. You could ride it a lot of places however. The 390 weighs only about 50 lbs. more(fully loaded w/fuel) than the TW.
    I would love to own a KLM. If only God would have given me longer legs. 390 would be more then enough on the Black Top IMO
    Of course I'm 5'7" 185 lbs. bigger stronger men bigger stronger bikes
    Last edited by TopPredator; 09-08-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dogonit View Post
    Interesting, I will have to dig into the 390. I was not aware of that, so thanks.

I agree with you about the price of the KTM 690 ($10,000+). But I like the 6th gear, 306lbs, 9.8 inches of front & rear travel, and air cooled engine (I plan to ride this in N. AZ, where it can hot). I have not ridden one but think the seat height (36 inches) might be an issue for me. I am a novice rider and like to be able to stabilize myself (and the bike) in loose rock with my feet. I've tried my buddy's Yamaha WR450 and it was a struggle. Maybe I am spoiled with the TUU?

DRZ400 is an awesome kickass bike. Pretty much a motocross bike with lights. Good on highway too... It's light.
    Animal likes this.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

70% off road? KTM 500 EXC, if it's in budget. My second choice wouldn't be close.

If it was 80% on road riding I would be willing to debate and might agree with any of the above.
    "What's 'dude'? Is that like 'dude ranch'?"

"Dude means nice guy. Dude means a regular sort of person."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links