I might of ruined my engine
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By 1RobAusdemore

Thread: I might of ruined my engine

I might of ruined my engine

I recently picked up a TT-R225 and took it for a good ride yesterday. I cleaned the air filter and changed the oil. The bike ran great all day besides being very cold blooded. On my last ride I went up a steep long second gear hill and was revving it up but not to the moon, I was driving it like I drive my TW off road It did not sound like I was over revving it. Any ways on the down hill section soon after that I noticed it popping really bad all of a sudden. It died when I got To the bottom of the hill. I got it started and made it back to the truck. It won't idle unless the choke is on, and I have to keep revving it or it will die. I'm going to clean the bike good then check the valves and clean and inspect the carb. I did give it a compression check, I couldn't fit a wrench into the spark plug area but I got the tester needlenose tight and it was about 105. I checked my TW and it was just under 120. Now I am scared I did something expensive to fix. If it's not the carb which I hope it is, I had a DR200 that was running like that and when I took the carb apart a jet had fallen out somehow. What other things would make it run like that suddenly? Any ideas or comments are appreciated. Thank you

I just read up a little on compression testing. I did not open the throttle and the TT-R was cold and I had ridden my TW about an hour before and the engine was still warm to the touch. I don't know if that would change anything.

The first thing I do when my bikes starts running poorly is switch the gas tank reserve. Seriously, it sounds like a fuel / carb problem. Probably dirt. Check your fuel filter.
    gamorg02 likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Did you check for leaks in the intake and exhaust, boot's, gaskets, etc? Spray a little wd40 around while running?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    It is always hard to diagnose from an internet post... sounds like a lean condition started on or after the climb. probably shook some crud loose in the tank. Popping and running only on choke or at high rpm's sounds like a fuel circuit is restricted or an air leak on the intake side.

Thanks for the replies. I just got home I'm going to wash it good. I washed it after the ride Sunday but after taking the tank off there is probably ten year old dirt caked on the frame and top of the engine. I will update later any comments, tips, advice is always appreciated.
    1 Bad dog likes this.

Finally got to the bike the valves were a bit loose and the carb didn't look too bad but I cleaned the pilot thoroughly. There is a brass plug over the air idle screw I think it is called. Anyhow I drilled it out and it was like 4 turns out and I set it at 1 1/2 turns out. Does any body know what settings work best on this bike? Also does a washer shimmed under the needle help on these like the TW's?
    Took it for a test drive it still took a while to warm up but it seemed to be running better than I remember!
    Thanks folks for the advice.

Sponosred Links