Home Made Luggage System "Hillbilly Ingenuity" requested photos
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By flank
  • 1 Post By 87bags
  • 1 Post By OurDee

Thread: Home Made Luggage System "Hillbilly Ingenuity" requested photos

Home Made Luggage System "Hillbilly Ingenuity" requested photos

Here are the photos requested on my Northern Tool chainsaw case luggage on my KLR. I have been ridding with them for three years and no issues. The bike has been dropped twice and these boxes took it and saved the bike. No damage at all and I do not have crash/engine guards....Yet!

The top expandable bag came with the bike and is an OEM Kawasaki KLR bag. I can carry a bus load of stuff with this set up and attach more things like dry bags and such. The boxes are durable, very light weight, and can be made water tight with little effort and expense (a small amount of silicone on the seems and some foam weather stripping).

I may use one as a top case on my rear Cycle Racks which should be here anytime for the TW.??? Each box measures 20" long (front to back of bike) x 11" wide (out from bike) x 13" deep. They stick out about the same width of the wide factory KLR handle bars. Both tops and sides open for full access. On the sides that open out you can attach a small cable to your preference to control how far it opens. I have not done so as of yet because It stays in place unless you pull it out and everything is easily gotten with a little digging typical of most top loaders. These boxes are like a cross between a top loader and side like Pelican cases. MUCH CHEAPER TOO!

I have $140.00 in the whole system including stainless hardware, locks (locking hasp style keyed alike from Lowe's or Home Depot), steel for the frame, paint, and two boxes. It took me a few hours to mock up, cut steel, and fab or weld everything together. The frame was the hardest part. You could mount these boxes to any other frame like Happy Trails and others with a little simple thought and work.

Not trying to push the KLR here but using it as an example of TW storage and luggage possibilities. I will gladly help or answer any and all questions or concerns. FIRE AWAY!

NEWS FLASH! Just heard a honk outside of the garage which is open and went out and the mail lady just dropped my rear Cycle Racks for the T'Dub. AWESOME! I thought it shipped Tuesday but I received a message from Don yesterday while on my TW 213 mile ride and he said he shipped it the 17th Wed. He is great to deal with and I am looking forward to put it on.

Will be posting more with photos of yesterdays ride and possibly the rack. I need to get the new battery discharging issue handled first. Stator?? I posted what happened and requesting help in tech.

PHOTOS Sorry forgot to attach when Cycle Rack showed

Here are the photos and description is on previous post. My rack showed up while I was in the middle of it and forgot attaching these: I will respond to both posts so if you have any questions leave on either.

Looks like these uploaded half cocked too. Pisses me off! They are upright when I load and somehow they spin when they land here. What I am doing is emailing them to myself and downloading into a file on my computer then going there to get them attached here. they show up correctly everywhere else but dicked up here. Any computer guys out there that can tell me how I am messing up?

Anyway, you can see them if you cock your heads a bit or turn your laptops
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pics are in the other post

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Link to other thread

just gonna put this here for anyone that gets lost.
    87bags likes this.

Link to write up

there we go. the circle is now complete.

Thanks, Flank!
    flank likes this.
    Ride Safe.......You're the BUMPER!Hidden Content

2003 Yamaha TW200
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
    2005 BMW K1200S
    2009 Honda 420 Rancher 4x4
    Hill Billy Bags

br1.JPG
    br2.JPG
    br3.JPG
    br4.JPG
    Too old to bend my neck.
    87bags likes this.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Thanks OurDee!
    They are correct when I do them and when they show up here they are all jacked up. Do not know what is going on???
    Ride Safe.......You're the BUMPER!Hidden Content

2003 Yamaha TW200
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
    2005 BMW K1200S
    2009 Honda 420 Rancher 4x4
    Hill Billy Bags

Sponosred Links