Suddenly no spark
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Suddenly no spark

Suddenly no spark

My TW is running great but I recently purchased a TTR225, it wouldn't idle and popped a lot so I cleaned the carb, and adjusted the valves. After I cleaned the carburetor I tried to start the bike but the battery was dead. I used the battery off my Z 1000 Kawasaki, the TT-R225 started right up. After a few seconds I noticed a plastic or rubber burning smell. I shut the bike down and waited till the next day to put on the correct battery on. I rode it around a bit and it ran great. This weekend I took it for a couple hour ride and it was flawless. We took a road home and I opened it up and tested it's top speed. When I got back to the cabin the bike just started cutting out and died. It wouldn't even pop off a bit. It is not getting a spark at all. I tried a new plug and nothing.
    Where do I begin? I have never tested electrical stuff on a bike before.
    Would the different battery fry something on the smaller yamaha?
    Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. Thank you, Rob

So when you noticed that burning smell, did you investigate it?

I shut it off and tried to locate where it was coming from but couldn't and I tried to feel some of the electrical components for heat but didn't notice anything.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Since you smelled a burning smell I would visually inspect all major electrical components. I would start with the cheapest and easiest things first. Check the coil under the tank for any discoloration from heat. (The coil is attached to your spark plug wire) These are usually around $25. Check your cdi for similar heat damage or melting. The other main component that controls spark is your stator inside the side case of your engine, which you can't visually inspect without removing the case. A service manual may tell you how to test components using a multimeter. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

I picked up a multi meter today but need to research how to use it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by 1RobAusdemore View Post
    This is a pretty good tutorial that gets right to the point. Heed what he says about how to connect the leads for different types measurements, and how measuring current is done.

Quote Originally Posted by 1RobAusdemore View Post
    This is a pretty good tutorial that gets right to the point. Heed what he says about how to connect the leads for different types measurements, and how measuring current is done. I would only add that it is smart to always start with the high range when measuring current. 400 milli amps is not very much and with some meters you blow the fuse if you exceed that by very much. If you get no reading, or a very small reading, then switch to the low range.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thank you.

Don't see a battery, in and of itself, causing any kind of overheat condition, provided the battery was good to begin with. Battery will only provide what is drawn from it.

Now I did have a burning smell on Dubella, realized the 'relay' our whatever it is, just above the exhaust pipe, next to the carb was hanging down touching the hot pipe.

So make sure there is nothing touching any where along the exhaust.
    docjekyll2002 likes this.

So I just watched that video and there are a couple flaws in it. 1. An analog multimeter does still have a place in troubleshooting, so don't blow it off completely and it's still easily utilized. I still have one and have been in the avionics field for 25 years. 2. When measuring current, you don't necessarily 'cut the wire', dear God, you just need to put the meter in line with the circuit being tested. That could mean removing a pin from a connector instead of cutting wires. 3. If you ever have to measure current, which in most cases you shouldn't have to, be sure everything is connected, BEFORE turning it on. Then turn everything off before removing the meter. Avoid current measurements if you can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links