Suddenly no spark.
Close
    
    
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Senior Member 1RobAusdemore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Twin cities
    Posts
    182

    Suddenly no spark.

    I recently bought a 2004 ttr225 it ran decent once warm. I changed the oil and oil filter, cleaned the air filter. And took it for a good ride. It would pop on decel or down hills a bit and didn't always idle great. So I cleaned the carb and adjusted the valves. I went to start it up and the battery was dead. So I unhooked it and put it on a trickle charger. In the mean time I took my battery off my Z1000 and used it to start the bike, it started right up but after a few seconds of running I noticed a burning smell rubber or plastic if that makes sense. I shut the bike off and tried to locate the burning smell but could not figure anything out. I hooked the normal battery up after it was charged but could not get the screws to tighten at the terminals tight because they were stripped. I tried to start it anyways and the positive terminal just sparked a few times. So I got new screws and tightened it correctly and it started right up and ran great. I took it to the cabin rode it all day. On the way back from the trails I took the road a few miles and opened it up for a top speed run. When I got back to the cabin the bike was idling and started cutting out and died. I started it back up and drove back to the garage 100 ft. And it died and would not fire up again. It doesn't seem to get any spark at all. I put on a new plug, but no spark. I bought a multimeter and am going to try and learn how to use it.
    I need any advice, or tips on where I should start diagnosing the problem. If anyone has had a simular situation tell me how you fixed your problem. All comments are appreciated. Thanks Rob

  2. #2
    Senior Member GaryL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Forestburgh, NY
    Posts
    8,047
    Diagnosing from here is difficult. The burning rubber/plastic smell is suspect! What you describe makes me tend to think you have a bad ground or intermittent short somewhere. I would start checking wires at the battery and then in to the electrical side panel and then up behind the headlight. Lastly, if the TTR is like a TW I would look at the wires from the engine side cover that go up to the battery. I don't know the TTR but TWs have wires that get pinched when some change the front sprockets. You are searching for melted wires or chaffing where a wire might be touching bare metal. Check all the grounds. If the TTR is like a TW it will have a ground under the tank where the coil is attached.

    A bike that runs good sometimes and at other times starts popping and sputtering makes me think electrical rather than carburetor. I would be checking every wire and every connection from one end to the other. Your battery drained and went dead for some reason and when you put a fully charged battery on line you smelled burning. Find the culprit!

    GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

  3. #3
    Senior Member 1RobAusdemore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Twin cities
    Posts
    182
    The battery went dead because I left the ignition on when I was cleaning the carb which took care of the popping and bad idle. There is no headlight but I assume it still drains the battery since it has a key ignition switch. The battery is fine and still holds a charge. I was wondering if hooking a battery from a bigger street bike still 12volt could harm the electrics or cause a burning smell?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member GaryL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Forestburgh, NY
    Posts
    8,047
    12 Volts is 12 volts and it does not matter what size battery it comes from. You could run it on a full size car battery and it would make no difference as long as there is no short. The larger/stronger battery might only have a good deal more juice that could produce the burning smell. You have a short somewhere!!!!!!!

    GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

  6. #5
    Senior Member 1RobAusdemore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Twin cities
    Posts
    182
    Thank you. I'm going to start looking.

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Suddenly no spark
    By 1RobAusdemore in forum Other Bikes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-01-2014, 10:06 AM
  2. Suddenly started popping
    By 1RobAusdemore in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2014, 11:21 PM
  3. Died suddenly, wont fire
    By kdick91 in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-25-2013, 12:47 PM
  4. If your tow strap suddenly goes missing.......
    By lizrdbrth in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 09:49 PM

Search tags for this page

sudden no spark in bike

Click on a term to search for related topics.