Why No One Will Sell You The Bike You Want
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Why No One Will Sell You The Bike You Want

Why No One Will Sell You The Bike You Want

1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Oh they'll sell me the bike I want, I just can't afford a Brough Superior SS100.
    Mr.Paynter likes this.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Hi littletommy: The world of bikes has taken a bifurcated arrangement. In the USofA it had to be bigger, badder, and faster: which meant heavier, more likely to demolish your bones, but if I was young would still be infatuated with this. In the rest of the world where the most bikes are by far, they still look at a 500/600cc as a bigger bike. We need to get back to thinking in the 200/500cc(weight & power) or so category, for not only us "senior"? types but also because it makes sense in many ways including handling, at least until you have 500 or so hours riding(i.e. 10/15K miles, min.) I think the push for the bigger has not been that well thought out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The author was a little snarky, but also makes some good points.

I don't really agree with his suggestion that more laws such as graduated displacement licensing are the way forward if the end goal is to increase ridership. Look at what the increasingly complex web of laws regulating hunting has done to the participation rates there. Putting up legal barriers for people will only turn off potential new riders.

I did appreciate his nod to the new CB300F, I'm already making plans for when the first round of those hit the used market in a year or so.
    dogonit and r80rt like this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Yeah, Great article.
    Except when he bashed and stereotyped.

If you read the replies beneath the trash talk, he tells someone that Sportsters are trash. Um, they are not.
    So, just because he doesn't like Harleys, he feels he can use his podium to bash them?
    Makes me second guess anything written by him.

Yes. We all have our preferences. But to "dis" someone because of what they ride? Or what they choose to wear while riding?
    This boy is a true child.

There are many bikes in my stable.
    From a 66 Ducati Cadet all the way up to a '14 Ultra. (and I am hopefully getting my TW200 Monday! Freaky rainbow colored one though.)
    And I ride ALL of them. The CT90 gets to go for bagels and coffee in the morning in town. The 2010 Fatboy is used to do service calls in Manhattan. The 1965 Harley M50 is used at swap meets, etc.
    And I dress accordingly. In town, I'll usually wear the minimum of jeans, t-shirt, work boots, bucket. If I go to the city, it is Kevlar lined pants, leather jacket, modular helmet or DOT half helmet.

So according to the author, I'm a drunk crazed fool. I think not. Been riding for over 40 years. I've seen the people he mentions, but few and far between. He has just given motorcyclists more bad exposure.

Sorry to rant. This guy just got my dander up.
    dogonit and revelation like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Blackstone View Post
    Yeah, Great article.
    Except when he bashed and stereotyped.

If you read the replies beneath the trash talk, he tells someone that Sportsters are trash. Um, they are not.
    So, just because he doesn't like Harleys, he feels he can use his podium to bash them?
    Makes me second guess anything written by him.

Yes. We all have our preferences. But to "dis" someone because of what they ride? Or what they choose to wear while riding?
    This boy is a true child.

There are many bikes in my stable.
    From a 66 Ducati Cadet all the way up to a '14 Ultra. (and I am hopefully getting my TW200 Monday! Freaky rainbow colored one though.)
    And I ride ALL of them. The CT90 gets to go for bagels and coffee in the morning in town. The 2010 Fatboy is used to do service calls in Manhattan. The 1965 Harley M50 is used at swap meets, etc.
    And I dress accordingly. In town, I'll usually wear the minimum of jeans, t-shirt, work boots, bucket. If I go to the city, it is Kevlar lined pants, leather jacket, modular helmet or DOT half helmet.

So according to the author, I'm a drunk crazed fool. I think not. Been riding for over 40 years. I've seen the people he mentions, but few and far between. He has just given motorcyclists more bad exposure.

Sorry to rant. This guy just got my dander up.
    Hi Smitty Blackstone: Never fear. You can and should rant on this site when you don't agree. That's the whole deal.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

There's a lot of truth in that article. I have to question it's authority a bit though. There are some bold claims made about sales with no reference as to where those figures came from... Other than that it was a nice read. Particularly sad but true, and so hilarious:
    "Your average American sportbike rider. Sick belt, brah" (Damon Lavrinc - Lane Splitter). And OMG does the picture above this line totally say a thousand words lol! Love it!
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

I still want to know why someone can't make a nice 400-500CC off-road bike that a short legged person can ride.
    r80rt and Smitty Blackstone like this.

"sensible personal transportation, an honest good time or someone saving all of us time on our commutes by taking active measures to bust congestion"

Hey, it's me!

He definitely did rant, bash and stereotype, but there were some points which made me think.
    Our South African market is similar in the quest for BHP from most riders, but we are lucky enough to be starting to get smaller, more fun bikes. I love small bikes, which places me firmly in the miority, and that is why I love the Tdub, and why I am lusting after a KTM Duke 390, and even a little Honda Grom (called the MSX125 here)

That quote above is what caught me though, I love riding, and honestly consider it a part of my life which is non-negotiable, and I do it for those reasons, of fun, really effective transportation in using the minimum required energy and fuel to transport me when I am on my own, and because it's traffic-hassle free.
    I try and convey that, along with an honest opinion on the negatives of motorcycling, which are there, but not over-bearing in my opinion, but it really does seem that most riders I meet are all about the perception they receive from others when on bikes, and feel the need to dress and act a certain way depending on their rides and riding pursuits, which always seem clicky, which is a pity.

Wafflewafflewaffle.

Long story short, that is one of the reasons that make me love my dub and this collection of people from all over because it seems to me at least that Tdub guys genberally have less ego.
    r80rt likes this.
    Finally picked up a Tdub...

I like small bikes too, but I like all bikes I suppose. I don't care if it's a 36cc two stroke moped with a wicker sidecar or a Triumph Rocket 3, I wanna ride it.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links