Classics
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Classics

Classics

Earlier I asked about other folks that appreciate small displacement bikes from the 60's and 70's. I sold all my heavy bikes and want to put together a couple of vintage Jap bikes from that era. Tough to figure what a good price is on many. People think some of their stuff is made of gold. Plus I'm not sure where to start. Is a 125cc too small to enjoy riding? How about a 175? I know I'd like to find a decent 350. And a 750 would be a good find and nice to ride.

I don't want to restore them to trailer/display only status. I want them to look nice and ride nice. I want to ride them not just sit in the garage and stare at them. Any advice from those who have owned some?

I always stuck with cb360's and CL/CB350's. I had a CL175 too. Personally, I wouldn't go less that a 250cc but would try to hover around the 350cc range. Why? You can hit highway speeds. Working on them to me, is much easier. One or two carb issues instead of 4. Lighter bikes too. I have my 79 KZ650 for sale mainly because I want to do another CB350/360 build. I built them to ride them. Not to show them.
    2015 Yamaha Bolt
    Coming Soon...TW200

All depends on what kinda riding your looking to do with it. Slow trail riding, easy to tote around, camping, etc. The old Honda CT 70, 90, or 110 get's my vote. Something a tad bigger, Honda SL series are nice too. 350cc and bigger, there are a lot to choose from. Your going to get a ton of different answers. The old Honda CT's are still very popular, still easy to get parts for, and have been going up in value. Of course, this is my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in with good bikes to consider. Back in 1973, I had a CT 90 for almost a year before it was stollen. Loved it, and still want one today for my wife to learn to ride. You can find good runners from $750 up to $4,000 or so. I missed out on 2 nice ones in the passed month for under $900. Just bad timing.
    I agree with above post if using on highway.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A friend of a friend just gave me a basket case CB-750 and 500 Four that where left out in the weeds that caught fire! If I can get one or both of them running I'll have learned something.

I always liked the Honda 305 Scrambler and the Super Hawk. Back then I was into dirt, two stroke was king because they made better power. At least that's what I thought. Had a Hodaka Ace 100 in the early seventies, great little bike. My brother had a Yamaha 250 twin two stroke,,,yds3 if I recall correctly. RD series was very fast for street.

Tom in Wichita

We used to have a pair of 1972 Suzuki TS185J's (his -n- hers, blue and red and only a few numbers apart). Loved those bikes.

Very fun with about 18hp with around 220 lbs.... Would go anywhere.

Last edited by 4x4Given; 10-23-2014 at 02:45 PM.
    littletommy likes this.
    Tina + Dutch Hidden Content
    2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
    2013 TW200 and XV250 Yamaha's (both are for sale)
    2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Given View Post
    We used to have a pair of 1972 Suzuki TS185J's (his -n- hers, blue and red and only a few numbers apart). Loved those bikes.

Very fun with about 18hp with around 220 lbs.... Would go anywhere.

Hey I have a TS250 in my pole barn that needs a lot of love.

750s back then weighed as much as liter+ bikes today.

Hard to beat the XL250 and XL350 for dualsporting. Both will do 80+ on the highway. CB400Four is an awesome machine for street--smooth, durable, stable, decent brakes, and handles half decent.

Your TW looks awesome. That tank and burly front tire look good!!
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

The CB350 and the CL360's are both great choices. I think the wisdom of staying at around 350+ might be a good thought. I have my 2013 TW for putzing around town and carrying in my express van when towing the trailer so it's my travel bike as well. I'll be riding on the street exclusively so the 350's, 400's, 550's might just be the ticket.

I had about five CT90's and one CT110 a few years back. Fun to restore and ride. Great trail bikes. Not in a motocross way but popular among hunters and fisher persons. But that's not my mission. I'll be looking for a 350 or 360 CL or CB to redo and ride I guess. That 185 Suzuki is intriguing though. Jeez I get so ADHD when it comes to bikes. I'm all over the place. I want to own them all. Thanks for the input boys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links