adventure ride
Close

Thread: adventure ride

adventure ride

If you look at a map of the very southern part of albania, there is a town called vloire on a big bay. I stayed at a beach hotel for a couple days and headed south. this is not the main road thru the country, I would have needed to go back north towards durres to pick up what ammounts to the main road. in general, there is really only one road going thru. the days ride from there into greece was perhaps one of the most amazing / intense motorcycles rides I haveever done. very dramaic country, I am grinding up a very steep switchbacky road that likely had roman legions on it at an earlier time in 1st and 2nd gear. the K75ndid fine. made it to a pass 1500 meters higher eventually going through a variety of villages strung along the coast. lots of up and down. I buy fuel about every 50 miles, seem to mostly use a litre every 10-12 miles. all cash as there is very little internetnconnectivity in albania.

I get to seranda, quite a big place, and fuel up head out following the somewhat vague garmin euro road track. note: the gps may very well say this is euro route so and so, they may even agree with the maps I had. what probably happens is some bureaucrat in brussels wants to make his area look good with labeled roads. anyway I go up what seems to be the correct road heading up out of town, the road completely disintegrates into a TW appropriate alley to the next house. I turn around and wander around town for a while. eventually after talking with a bunch that came out 2 youngsters spoke enough english to get me back on my original road.. Qutote the young man "The road turns to shit, that is how you know it is the right one"

To say the beemer was not the correct bike for the next 10 or somiles is putting it mildly. you could have driven grandmas cadillac over the road, with some exhaust repair afterwards. this road had quaried stone bridges, probably had roman legions on it with a faded chip seal as the only improvement since then. anyway I made it to Ioannia greece. yesterday I got on the via eggnatia ordos and rolled it into thessaloniki and dropped the bike off at the beemer dealer for a full service and a new front tire. I expect tohead to turkey in the next day or so

The K75 is a really amazing bike, it just motors on through. my choice frrom thessaloniki is to take a ferry to Izmir turkey which has some appeal, or to get back on the via egnatiaq up to the galipoli penn which also has some appeal. I am headed to the north coast of turkkey avoiding any big cities I can riding towards Georgia. winter has already happened in valbona in norther albania where I initially wanted to go to but realized the beemer was a bad idea for that trip (one of the reasons I wanted tobring over my TW). play it by eaar, riding in the winter in alaska on my TW with ice screws in the tires is a very differrent deal riding a heavy stret bike like the beemer. rw

What an adventure! Can you eventually post some photos for us?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I made a mistake in gadgets brought along, I brought a samsung TAB3. while it is possible to take pictures with the tablet, it is somewhat difficult to do so. I have not figured out how to expoert pictures from my nikon camera to the tablet so far. I regret not bringing a small netbook or something like it. the only thing that makes the tablet work at all is the aux keyboard via a bluetooth hookup.

When I was in albania, I had no internet cconectivity at all, none of the hotels I stayed in hd wifi. here in Volos Greece the connection is very good. today is a national holliday celebrating running off the Italians and germans towards the end of WW2. probably ride tomorrow if it is not pouring rain, headed to Crete ultimately. since I blew off riding across turkey because of snow most everywhee I wanted to go, the push is off for making distance every day. rw

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by canyonlock View Post
    I made a mistake in gadgets brought along, I brought a samsung TAB3. while it is possible to take pictures with the tablet, it is somewhat difficult to do so. I have not figured out how to expoert pictures from my nikon camera to the tablet so far. I regret not bringing a small netbook or something like it. the only thing that makes the tablet work at all is the aux keyboard via a bluetooth hookup.

When I was in albania, I had no internet cconectivity at all, none of the hotels I stayed in hd wifi. here in Volos Greece the connection is very good. today is a national holliday celebrating running off the Italians and germans towards the end of WW2. probably ride tomorrow if it is not pouring rain, headed to Crete ultimately. since I blew off riding across turkey because of snow most everywhee I wanted to go, the push is off for making distance every day. rw
    While it may be a bit late for your last adventure here is my advice. I have the Galaxy tab 3 8" model and I use it to check pictures on my game cameras all the time. I just purchase micro sd cards that come in full size sd adapters "sold everywhere" so not difficult to find. My camera takes the full size sd card so i can take pictures then remove the card "the micro from the adapter" and slide it into the tablet. From this point you can do whatever you choose with the pictures ie. download them onto the tablet or even post them online directly from the card.

Another option that I have not tried but should work even better is WiFi enabled sd cards. These you can reportedly leave in your camera and connect to using your tablet via WiFi. No internet required.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Spent a couple days at Delphi, quite the amazing place. Zeus himself selected the spot, his son Apollo built the first temple, or so the story goes. the site is way up on a mountain side, apparently much of the large stone blocks were carried in from somewhere else, a remarkable feat in its' self. the ultimate in prestege project for a long time.

I seem to be falling over on the beemer every few days, generally in front of an audience. It appears my right leg has shrunk, or something. fortunately it has great crash bars and no harm to the bike so far. the outside edges of the crash bars are getting a bit of patina......

The audence comes overr and helps pick the bike up, it is my duty to provide a story for them in recompense for helping pick the bike up........

I am in vartholomio, not by intent really, just wandered off the main road looking at the local agriculture and ended up here in the alfa hotel. rw

You are living my friend!!!!! If you don't keep a journal you will regret it. Can't wait for pics.

Sponosred Links