TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Grom vs. Zuma

14K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  JunkyardDog 
#1 ·
Guess it's not a fair comparison. Grom is a 4spd and the Zuma is automatic. Had a Zuma and liked it up to about 50 mph. After that the short wheelbase made for an exciting ride. Mine topped out at 63 mph downhill with the wind at my back and only half my weight on it. Still for a camping bike easy to load and run to the store in I wonder which is better.

#2 ·
Personally I'd say you already have the perfect "camping bike", but I'm thinking in terms of loading the bike and riding it to go camping, and I don't think that is what you mean. So, let's see. You said you liked the automatics and weren't thrilled with shifting. Seems an easy choice between those two. It would seem that most of your issues with the TW would roll over to the Grom.

#3 · (Edited)
i have a TW and a Grom. TW is mostly stock but my Grom has some mild mods. on the street, my grom will out perform and out run the TW. the Grom, although taken off-road by many, it's really a dual sport or even designed for going off road.

i guess it all depends on what you plan on using the motorcycle for when camping.

edit: got carried away comparing the TW and the GRom and forgot about the Zuma. i have friends that have zumas and they are great scooters. you can modify them to get some serious speed out of them too.

the automatic scooter aspect of it might make for a better camping ride....it's just less work lol the grom is also really small with not really any storage space. even with the luggage rack its very limited

#4 ·
I'm lusting after a Grom, so I'd be all over that if it were my money, but for the purposes you've mentioned, a Zuma seems the best bet.

I've only ridden my friends BWS 100 (what they call Zuma's here in South Africa) a handful of times but they do the job.
He actually rode his from Pretoria to Cape Town on his, with gear which is pretty crazy, it's almost 1000miles, and he did a few almost 100mile distances on dirt roads too.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Scooter

#5 ·
I agree with others that "from your stated observations regarding the TW", the Zuma may be a better choice than the Grom. You have had one, and seem more comfortable with how it works.

However, the Grom is a blast. Flat road, driving gently, 30 to 35 mph; 157 MPG. Same road 45 mph 114 MPG. Won't hold 55 on any incline, so I limit it to 50mph flat roads and know it may be 40 to 45 (or less) on any hills.

Ordered the small factory rack and put Givi mount on it. Then loaned bike to company that makes many accessories for dirt and dual-sport bikes to make after-market rack. Owner or employee was looking at my bike at dealership one day and I guess he figuered there'd be a market for it. For grocery getting; throwing a back-pack into my 55 liter top case and I can carry quite a bit.

Still, if you hold on to your TW, you may grow to love it; and if after riding it in the spring and still want to sell it, you'll have more people looking to buy (good weather). -J-

#6 · (Edited)
I personally would go with a Grom over a Zuma.

Old: I wonder what a 14 tooth front sprocket would do for your Grom. It seems like that might be enough to allow it to hold 55 up a hill? By the way that's some awesome fuel economy!

#7 ·
Actually tried both 1 larger and 1 smaller than stock. Neither helped. There were people claiming 65 and 70 on the freeways - but...best I got, some wind at back, very slight downhill, tucked was 62. Very smooth and stable though, especially considering how small it is.
Seemed most people trying after-market things were not gaining anything. The big hope was for FI-mapping - but was not out yet at that time. Have not followed recently. As to fuel mileage, have to realize that people won't ride it gentle and hit the low factory shift points, but nice to know it's possible. Went to test TW mileage today with 65 tooth rear, but started to sprinkle and didn't feel like getting out 30 miles and get poured on all the way back.

#8 ·
Interesting. Looking at a dyno chart and gearing commander, it looks like going to a 16 tooth, you'd gain about a whopping 0.5 torque at 55 mph in fourth, while keeping the same horsepower; and if you went to a 14 tooth, you'd actually lose about 0.25 horsepower and lose 0.5 torque, so I guess I was wrong about the 14 tooth. Anyway, it's a 125 lol, if all else fails and you absolutely had to have more power, there's always the 143 big bore kit lol. That would do the trick! :cool:

#9 ·
Good point "Old". I'm gonna keep her till spring when I have my new knee and can ride it properly giving her a fair eval. Especially since she's a 2013 with 1525 on it and I picked it up for $2500, from a dealer no less.

There is a slightly used Zuma in Port Washington, Wisc. 800 miles on it. for $1900. Maybe I should raid a piggy bank and grab it in case the TW doesn't work out. (thinking out loud in print).

#10 · (Edited)
Hey, If you can have em both to take together to test on different terrain at the same time; that would be the perfect evaluation setting. Pavement right from your doorstep one day, dirt or gravel road another. More difficult off-road sections will go to the TW; air down to 15/12 or 12/12 and if you are not yet comfortable shifting - when you hit rough or soft stuff, just stay slow and steady leaving it in 1st or 2nd while you go through and focus on where you're going and staying upright. -J-

#12 ·
No, no, no. I am accustomed to shifting. Been riding over thirty years including three Goldwings and four Harley's. Just saying that an auto shift can spoil you sometimes. Plus if you have any leg or foot issues it can be the difference between riding and not riding. Malcom Forbes, the renowned publisher and business mogul, rode his Harley till his death at 73. I want to surpass that. :)

#14 ·
I had a Zuma 125. Gutless as all getout. Actually it had enough power, but there was no way to get it to the ground with the CVT. Lowest possible gear ratio was WAY to high to climb even moderate hills. It bogged down to under 20 mph and lugged the engine badly. I just recently sold it, and bought a SYM HD200. MUCH better. At 6' 240, I simply do not fit on the Grom. It feels like a pocket bike. My local dealer has brand new leftover 2013 DR200s on sale for the same price as a new Grom. If I weren't about to buy a TW200, I'd be seriously interested. Pretty much the same as my XT225, with 25cc less. I doubt I could tell the difference. Both bikes have a nearly 400 pound weight capacity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.