2015 Honda pcx 150.
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By frog13
  • 2 Post By Leisure Time Larry

Thread: 2015 Honda pcx 150.

2015 Honda pcx 150.

Picked up one of these scooters on the 5th , nice machine . The owners manual specs the engine and final drive / tranny fluid as Honda HP4M 10w 30 . Problem is , Honda dealers around here do not carry the 10w 30 only the 10w40. Same JASO spec.of MB , just different final weight number . This 10w 40 MB should be ok for this unit....Ya think?. I joined the PCX forum. The riders there say the MB (molly) isn't really important , but , the Honda engineers spec'd it , so I'd think it is beneficial .
    docjekyll2002 likes this.

I'd like to know your impressions after you have had tie to evaluate the PCX.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Problem is , Honda dealers around here do not carry the 10w 30 only the 10w40. Same JASO spec.of MB , just different final weight number . This 10w 40 MB should be ok for this unit....Ya think?. I joined the PCX forum. The riders there say the MB (molly) isn't really important , but , the Honda engineers spec'd it , so I'd think it is beneficial .
    Times, they are a changin'. Modern engineering and manufacturing to tighter tolerances call for different lubrication recommendations from the manufacturers than the "old standards". There is a little too much "that'll do" attitude around for my liking. It happens a lot on forums, but I especially despise it when it comes to dealers. Yeah, 10W-40 has been a very common oil weight for bikes, but my 2013 Honda CB500 also calls for 10W-30, so I get where you are coming from. Dealers don't stock it, and they will tell you what they do stock will be fine. Or worse yet, you take your machine in for service to see on the invoice that they put in 10W-40 when your manual clearly calls for 10W-30, and they say it's no big deal, when really it is because all they use is from the big drum back there, and because doing what is right would be an inconvenience for them.

Really? The 40 wt. properties will act exactly the same at higher temperatures as the 30 wt. in that brand new machine? Hmm, what about the 10W-50? At what point does it start to matter oh-all-knowing-dealer-guy? Maybe we should call the oil companies and let them know that they are wasting their time and money by making these distinctions and formulations. They should just put "OIL" on all of the bottles and let's be done with it! Fyi, this is a new problem with cars too. A lot of new cars are coming with a 5W-20 recommendation, but your local X-Lube place probably doesn't have a drum of that.

Anyway, buy a couple changes worth online like I do, and then tell the dealer that you bought it cheaper online because they're pigheaded. And, don't let others make you feel like an ass because you want what the manufacturer wants you to put in it.

Check out this video where ericthecarguy speaks with representatives at Valvoline. The whole thing is a good watch, but @ 6:12-12:16 they speak to this issue of viscosity. Or, if you are super short on time, start at 9:36.

kj7687 and frog13 like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Only 150 Miles so far on the pcx , but it runs quite well for not being broke in. MPG is fantastic so far , again ,not broke in yet....it will improve on its current 94 mpg , running between 40 & 50 mph , per the riders on the pcx forum .
    THE big issue with the pcx forum , is that there are a lot of folks who are in the camp of , " any synthetic oil will do fine". I do not agree with this mentality.
    The pcx is incredibly smooth and quiet. I'll post more as time goes on and if the approaching Ohio winter permits .

Please do. I need a new scoot. Selling the 650 Burgman. Need something at 250 or less. The 125 Zuma is cute and fun but scary even at 50 with such a short wheelbase. The PCX has larger wheels, I believe, and seems longer. Probably more stable. Nice cargo hold under the seat too.

I contacted Honda corporate in Torrence Cali. Regarding the lack of final drive lubrication info in the owners manual . Result , a free service manual !.
    Also , strangely , the engine and the final drive use the same fluid...HP4M 10W 30 MB (moly spec'd oil) .
    I called again to confirm the 10w 30 MB oil for both units , you can use the 10w 40 version for the engine , BUT , the rep was adamant 10w 30 to be used in the final drive . I'm new to scooters , but Honda spec'd a moly (M oil for a reason. The service Dept. At my local Honda , said to use either Honda's 80w 90 weight gear oil OR Honda's HP4....which is garden variety 4 stroke oil. The rep about crapped his self when I advised him of their recommendations . Go figure .

Sponosred Links