TW 125 - Just a few questions.
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: TW 125 - Just a few questions.

TW 125 - Just a few questions.

Hello chaps,

I currently own a 2002 TW 125 (UK) and I love it!
    I have seen a fair few comments around with people asking if they can get there 125 TW to go faster, If I am honest I don't care for speed at all.

As I'm sure anyone from the UK who's reading this is aware you can easily get on the road on a 125cc bike for little cost!
    The bike cost me £700 (Roughly $1000) and had done around 18k miles, Yes I am aware this is a lot however I was in a rush and needed wheels immediately.

The most I have had out her is 40mph, this being due to most the speed limits around here and I hardly need to travel further than 2miles at most daily. As mentioned earlier, I am no speed freak, I use to muck around on DT's, XL's and alike when I was a young lad however I only recently went legal.

I'm only a skinny runt and the bike is very, very forgiving. The huge rear tyre really does make the difference!
    However it's now winter and time for me to do a bit of maintenance.

I have bought a new heavy duty chain and new front and rear sprocket, also a new battery.
    I have today noticed I am in need of 6 new rear sprocket stubs, I am not sure where is the best place to get these?

The exhaust is a little worse for wear, and there are a few small holes, I am going to be puttying and taping them up followed by some exhaust bandage (I can't afford a new exhaust just yet so this must do.) Where the manifold connects to the engine one of the bolts has sheered clean and flat What are my choices for getting it out.

I don't want to spend a fortune of this bike as it's just to get me around till summer when I do my full motorbike licence (DAS to UK readers).

I know I said I am no speed demon however I would like a little more response from the lower gears, would changing from a 51 to a 47 rear sprocket be worth while, or will it not be worth it in the long run?

Forgive me if I sound new, I have only been riding a few months! Google failed me, So yeah any suggestions, advice etc would be great.

Thank you guys.

Completely forgot to mention, My bike was mad low on oil, I filled it up and followed a tutorial, however no oil came out from the phillips bolt:

The bike feels very sluggish and backfires lots!

Am I right in guessing the oil filter may need a clean/replacing

If no oil came out of the screw, STOP RUNNING THE ENGINE NOW.

You may have or are headed for worse problems.
    Last edited by littletommy; 01-20-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    philipkroberts likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It's currently sat in my garage, So what do you suggest littletommy? A complete oil change and clean/replacement filter?
    Cheers

Change oil, clean filter and screen, check level in oil window, start and try again for oil when you remove the screw.

Do this first, then we will go from there.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Ok pal, Thank you kindly. I will do a complete oil change, my topup seemed to of done nothing so a change seems the best thing.
    I will follow the tutorial on here, From what I have read the O-rings may be knackered, is there a preffered place people get these from?

Kind regards,

Not sure about O rings over there. Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle These folks have some.

The popping and backfiring is probably caused by the holes in your exhaust system. You really should go through the whole bike and check stuff, like valve adjustment, carb and plug inspection, etc. Check everything, then you know, and don't have to wonder if stuff is right.

O... And welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Not sure about O rings over there. Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle These folks have some.

The popping and backfiring is probably caused by the holes in your exhaust system. You really should go through the whole bike and check stuff, like valve adjustment, carb and plug inspection, etc. Check everything, then you know, and don't have to wonder if stuff is right.

O... And welcome to the forum!
    I know, however I am short of time currently and funding, The wiring needs a look over as the front indicator on the left is a tad fast.
    To be honest I just thought, shit, I need a way to get to my new job! I chose the TW for its meaty wheel and it has not disappointed.

This machine deserves a good look over however I simply won't have time for a month or so, also I don't dig riding in the winter, England is shit.
    I am getting a new plug tomorrow iridium and what not.
    I shall make a start with the oil change and filter clean/replacement and report back here.

Thanks for the welcome and the speedy response, Once again apologies if I seem like a noob, I can set up some shit hot hyper v virtualization on a VMware setup and anything tech related. When it comes to engines I the biggest noob going.

Thanks for your patience

No problem, keep us posted. Great little bikes all in all and pretty easy to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    No problem, keep us posted. Great little bikes all in all and pretty easy to work on.
    Compared to other bikes of a similar style and engine size I rode as a youngster, the bike feels like it handles lovely and hugs our horrible british roads!
    I owned a Honda XL for a good few years and she was a lovely bike and had amazing throttle response however the overall ride when on roads was horrific, Are there other bikes similar to the the TW with bigger engines (400cc+) I only ask as I need to think about what I want to buy this summer and would love recommendations

Are there any TW 125 Forums? I have searched high and low but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links