650-700cc bikes with standard ergos.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 650-700cc bikes with standard ergos.

650-700cc bikes with standard ergos.

Is there any reason besides popularity that V-Stroms cost so much more than others?

Probably because they are so popular. I always thought they were the ugliest bike out there and when I rode a couple older ones my opinion was that they were comfortable but extremely uninspiring. Last summer at the Suzuki demo rides I ended up taking one out because it was the only ride left...wow they changed the bike in 2012 and it is so much nicer than the earlier ones... very smooth engine with more top end power, better handling, slightly taller which is more comfort to me and a nicer instrument cluster with analog tach and gear indicator. If I was buying a bike to do lots of traveling it would be the Wee-Strom

I've ridden two. First was about stock with luggage. It was a yawn. The second had suspension, brake, and exhaust upgrades and a chip and dyno tune. I could very easily get arrested on that one. Still, they were both terribly expensive for what they were, darn near BMW territory. Used V-stroms with low miles outprice similar BMWs. It's insane.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If I had the money..... BMW for sure.. Some times us normal folks must compromise..... I wanted a Beammer but ended up with a "SWEEEEET" Trump and love it.. OMM.

From what ive seen on the used markets its hard the beat a vstrom 650 for the money. Ive seen alot of nice used ones with a bunch of farkles and decent miles well below 5g some even in the $3500-4000 dollar range. I think thats why they are so popular. I dont find them attractive looking at all except the newer ones but I dont really care to much about looks anymore. I ride a tw and a honda reflex 250 which is about the bottom of the barrel if a guy has man pride issues. Also the versys is a decent bike. For a midget like me a versys or bmw fit me better. The strom has a bit more reach to the bars. The vstrom isnt quite as peppy as the old sv650. On the cheap it seems like a vstrom, klr, nighthawk is hard to beat for the money or sometimes a reasonable deal can be found on a versys.
    Last edited by small's; 01-26-2015 at 07:24 PM.

The only V-stroms I've seen for below $5K have 30,000+ miles. The reach for the bars on a Strom means ditch the windshield and let the air hit you in the chest to take pressure off the hands and arms. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I picked up my '12 V-Strom 650 18 months ago for $4600 as a salvage title. You'd never know it had ever had any damage, so it was a heck of a deal. I LOVE that bike. It's super comfy, gets 55-65 mpg more often than not, and is way more capable off-road than you would think. I've put 11k miles on it since I bought it (it had 6k at that time).

Rob
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Do you guys get the Honda NC700?
    Not a fan of it, but I baby-sat a friends' whilst he was at sea for a few months, and was surprised at it's all-round capability.

Also really reasonably priced out here compared to it's competition.
    Finally picked up a Tdub...

I guess I need to put some seat time on a V-storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've ridden over 100 cycles from many brands but miss out on a storm. OMM.

A couple vstroms $4,000 or less.

2006 Suzuki V-strom 650

2006 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links