Sick of bike problems! Wish they would build them without all the mechanical issues!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sick of bike problems! Wish they would build them without all the mechanical issues!

Sick of bike problems! Wish they would build them without all the mechanical issues!

I don't know about you all but I'm sick of so many different motorcycles from all the manufacturers having all kinds of stupid mechanical issues. I mean come on, put a little more god damn money into R&D, charge an extra $1,500, and get it right the first time around.

I'm sick and tired of failing cam chain tensioners, clutches that start slipping on brand new bikes, oil and coolant leaks on low mile bikes, shitty valves with coatings that wear out in no time and cause major valve clearance issues, carbs jetted like shit from the factory (thank god for EFI...), things not being installed/bolted on securely from the factory (meaning at some random point they come loose and blow up the motor or trans), poorly cut third gears that wear out prematurely and blow up the trans, engine stalling due to cheap shoddy O2 sensors or crappy FI controllers etc, valve trains blowing up because the lock-nuts back out under continuous vibrations, and I can go on and on and on and freakin on. Unfortunately (for me) the majority of the motorcycling public places far more value on performance than durability, ease of maintenance, and trouble-free operation. Don't get me wrong. Performance is cool and all, and it damn well has it's place. In a race bike where engineers are always trying to push the margins to the thinnest imaginable to squeeze out that extra fraction of a horsepower to gain an edge, I can understand having all these annoying little technical issues. But vehicles that aren't marketed as high-performance racers shouldn't have all these problems. Sigh. This is the world I live in. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think anyone can ever REALLY change the world. It is what it is. Yea I know, I need to quit bitching like a spoiled brat and go fix my broken bike. Then figure out how to make more money so it won't be such a big deal. Good night. <END OF RANT>
    Last edited by kj7687; 01-26-2015 at 03:12 AM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Feel better now?
    kj7687 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

K.J:
    I bought an 08 KLR-650. Between the Dohickey,wire harness and crappy subframe bolts along with the decompressor lever issue I feel your pain. That said I've learned alot about fixing stuff on my own and am now
    pretty happy with it.
    kj7687 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

kj, take a look at the second generation Nighthawk 750s. Honda listened to buyers, and gave in to practicality: hydraulic lifters, easy oil filter and drain plug access, o-ring chain, even a dipstick to make oil checks easy. Zillions have 100,000+ miles on nothing but oil and filters, an occasional sprocket set and chain, and tires and tubes, plus replacement of worn out hand grips and seat covers. Worn out, mind you! If just riding is all you need, the last generation Nighthawks are a great choice. Just a basic motorcycle with enough power to get out of traffic, decent brakes and handling, and fairly standard ergos on a naked bike.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    kj, take a look at the second generation Nighthawk 750s. Honda listened to buyers, and gave in to practicality: hydraulic lifters, easy oil filter and drain plug access, o-ring chain, even a dipstick to make oil checks easy. Zillions have 100,000+ miles on nothing but oil and filters, an occasional sprocket set and chain, and tires and tubes, plus replacement of worn out hand grips and seat covers. Worn out, mind you! If just riding is all you need, the last generation Nighthawks are a great choice. Just a basic motorcycle with enough power to get out of traffic, decent brakes and handling, and fairly standard ergos on a naked bike.
    The only problem I've had is getting the oil filter between the exhaust pipes. Wear a thick pair of gloves so you don't burn your hands!

If you think bikes are crappy you should read about sleds... According to my sled site all sleds are junk.
    My wife had a 1982 650 yammie that ran fantastic... It started to let her down last fall. "electrical" So our son-in-law wanted it because my wife upgraded to a yammie V-star...I'm hoping it's a good bike, other wise I'll be ranting.....OMM.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I feel your pain KJ. You hit the nail on the head. Make it reliable, I really don't care how fast it goes.

But I get it with multiple bikes, some so old and/or rare that parts have to be made if they can't be found.

Some days I wish I had only my TW.

Even the new Harley has been back to the dealer twice. The last time from October to the first week in January.

Problem solved!Motorcycle-Horse.jpg

To be fair, my KLX certainly wasn't supposed to be a "just ride" type of bike. It was built to be a totally kick ass street legal dirt bike that would be just adequate on the street and reliable enough to go 25-30k miles without problems. Absolutely nailed it on one of those criteria, missed the mark by a country mile on the other... I do like that Nighthawk 750. A classmate from last semester had one (I think it was some other similar chassis but with the N750 motor dropped into it). I think it was early or mid 90's. Nice bikes for sure. Come to think of it, I saw it at a Taco Bell during break. And now I see it parked at school again this semester. Every time I walk by, I think it's a sweet lookin' little ride, and how I wouldn't mind owning it, lol. I know there ARE exceptions out there to that rule that every machine has at least one common problem, but from what I've seen, they are quite rare. Even the most durable usually have one or two little things that need to be addressed to get 50k+ miles out of them. I just wish there were more options to pick from for bikes that don't really have any issues and will do the long haul. If there were, I wouldn't mind the less reliable ones; they can still fill niche markets (i.e. street legal, hardcore extreme enduro bike = KTM EXC). The big irony with my KLX is that I avoided a few other bikes based on assumptions that they'd have problems that I didn't want to deal with... Maybe if I'd bought one of those I'd be out riding instead of complaining about how it's broken...or maybe it would be MORE broken. Who knows lol. But like Xracer said, you live and you learn.
    Last edited by kj7687; 01-26-2015 at 08:43 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    Problem solved!Motorcycle-Horse.jpg
    Lol those horse-bike pictures are raging all over the internet these days. Best one I remember is one with some RMZ plastics strapped onto it's sides and such and a rope drooped around it's neck and attached to some MX bars - complete with full Motocross-geared rider. Giddeyup hossie, yee haw *que the hoof beat recording and Dukes of Hazard music*
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links