For you Jap super bike lovers!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: For you Jap super bike lovers!

For you Jap super bike lovers!

This is the exact bike I had back in 1972 while in the USN. I paid $1,422 for it back then.

This one is very well preserved and brings back some good and bad memories. Fast bike for sure but only good in a straight line.

1972 Kawasaki H2 750 triple all original

GaryL
    Hoot Gibson, Hekkler and kj7687 like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

She's a real beauty!
    Finally picked up a Tdub...

My 2nd and 3rd Bikes were the fastest I ever owned...

The Original "Super Bike" the Kawasaki 900...mine was a 1975...there must have been at least 30 of us in Celina alone that owned one of these...we had a Kawasaki Dealer opened by a local guy and his sons in the early 1970s...and just about everybody, unless they were a Harley Slave, had a Kaw....sold it when I was moving to Northern Wisconsin in late 1977....

Kaw 900.jpg

The 3rd Bike may have been even faster...the 1978 Yamaha 650 which would top out at the speedometer max of 150mph...after my 3rd child was born, I figured out I better get something a bit
    slower, the Suz 550.....funny, in a painful way, the two major wrecks that caused injury to me, were on my Kawasaki 250 dual sport and the 550....in this case Speed Didn't Kill, but those slower bikes sure caused me a lot of pain:

Yamaha 650.jpg
    kj7687 likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TW2013 View Post
    Gary, those were thee bike back then, but surprisingly, the Kawi 500cc triple was even quicker than their 750cc triple. And you are right...once again....those bikes were good for a straight line run, so don't even think about high speed corners.

We had one of each...the 500cc and the 750cc..that ran with our group of riders back in the early '70s...while I was riding a '74 Norton 850 Commando. The Norton was not as "quick", but it had a higher top speed, and it could handle the high speed corners and curves.

Mike
    My best friend has the 500 triple and you are half right. Faster in the 1/8th mile but the 750 won every time in the quarter. A weak frame and poor front end design made these bikes a death trap on fast corners. I installed a steering damper that did help a lot and probably kept me alive a few times.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I loved those bikes. So So fast. I've gone almost 140 on a 500 with 2 people. Took a little time and a good bit of freeway for it to get there. I Knew if I hit a little pebble or good bump in the road that....it would be a horrible crash. Glad I'm still around considering all the stupid things I did when I was young.

*another time...
    San Diego to Salinas just under 5 hours.
    Last edited by littletommy; 02-03-2015 at 10:22 AM.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

"If I'm lying, I'm Dyin'

I purchased it used from an old high school classmate of mine, a real live motorhead, when I moved back to Ohio in 1981...unless the Speedometer was wrong{it wasn't} that bike would go the limit...he promised me it would...and on at least 2 occasions, I went the US 127 straight away between Montezuma and Greenville, and buried it....no video but it was at least as fast on the straight line as the Kaw 900....

Hidden Content

March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary

I can only say what "Dave" as in Dave Henderson, told me when he sold it to me....he passed away a couple of years ago, so I can't ask him...but that was well over 30 years ago...but my memory is pretty clear on what I remember about those "maxed out" runs...not sure what he did to the 650 to make it run as fast as I remember{rode that damn thing to work almost everyday one winter, even in the frigid mornings}...but it was MPH, not km/h.

The 900 on the other hand, didn't need any help, that damn thing was a stock as it gets, and I purchased it with 12 miles on it from the dealer....and after riding that 250 on/off road{as the dual sports were called back then}, the 900 was a whole new ballgame...scared the sheet out of me a couple of times....but at 25 years old we all thought we were bullet proof.

Regardless, looking forward to the dinner and having a drink together....just 6 1/2 weeks to go....
    TWilight likes this.

Hidden Content

Misc Pics0001 (21).jpgMisc Pics0001 (22).jpgMisc Pics0001 (62).jpg
    Here was my 78 GS before and after the paint job, I only ever got it to 115 mph. It felt like it had more but I never pushed it. Call me a scardy cat but 115 on anything will make one pucker a little bit. I raced many a kawi triple back in the day and could never beat a matched cc (750). I raced my dad a few times on his 77' Honda 750 k model and would beat the rat snot out of his bike. Knowing my dad, he wouldn't "let" me win just because he was my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hekkler View Post
    Misc Pics0001 (21).jpgMisc Pics0001 (22).jpgMisc Pics0001 (62).jpg
    Here was my 78 GS before and after the paint job, I only ever got it to 115 mph. It felt like it had more but I never pushed it. Call me a scardy cat but 115 on anything will make one pucker a little bit. I raced many a kawi triple back in the day and could never beat a matched cc (750). I raced my dad a few times on his 77' Honda 750 k model and would beat the rat snot out of his bike. Knowing my dad, he wouldn't "let" me win just because he was my dad.
    I had one of those GS Suzuki's way back. I had it up to 115 also, but it started a high speed wobble and I had to back down. Never took it that far again. It didn't like it, and I didn't want to get killed.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Well, the 1972 H2 I posted the add of sure is a nice and very well preserved specimen. I guess the rel question is even in near perfect condition, what are these old school rice burners really going for these days? I think he is way over the top X2 at least asking $15K for it and to be very honest I would not even want another H2. My next bike was an 850 Norton Commando and I would try to buy another if I found a good project.

GaryL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links