Kids bike?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Kids bike?

Kids bike?

Let's hear some experience/ opinions.
    My boy is five and every since I selfishly brought home " Victor "(my TW), he's been really into motorcycles. I never intended on putting him on a motorcycle but now w/ Victor around I find myself feeling guilty not taking the boy along. I bought him a DOT helmet so his mom would let him ride around the neighborhood. Now I'm searching the classifieds for a cheap 50 cc.
    Is he too young? If so when is the right age?
    What's a good bike?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428981401.988859.jpgMama, the boy and Victor
    Last edited by one4fishing; 04-13-2015 at 09:17 PM.
    SickPuppy76 likes this.

Great looking family there sir. Personally, I would get him a small 50cc quad or similar. Go over some safety rules with him backwards and forwards. Start off slow and let him follow you around or vice versa. I ride my grandson on the back of mine and he'll be 7 in July. He was thrilled beyond anything to go shopping for his first helmet and gloves. I don't think there is any "right age". I think you'll know when he is ready as far as aptitude and ability to take on a two wheeler all by himself.
    plumbstraight and Xracer like this.

Thanks Hekkler hadn't considered a four wheeler.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I had my son on a pw50 at age 4. He could ride a bicycle without training wheels and had ridden with me many times.
    The pw50 has a throttle screw that limits its speed. As they get more skill you can allow more speed.
    Azxj91 and plumbstraight like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I picked up a Yamaha 50cc quad for my grandson a few weeks ago. He just turned 6 last month. First time out he was a little intimidated. HAd a few problems with the carb. (previous owner used a drill bit to clean the jets) Anyway I got tired of dealing with it and just bought a new carb $80.00 and now the thing runs great. And the next time he got on he was much more confident and is pushing it to it's throttle limit I have set. I gave his dad a choice of a 50cc bike with the training wheels until he was ready to remove them or the quad. He chose the quad as we have several trails here on the property to ride it on. Just remember to make it fun, he or she will progress at their own pace.
    dette, plumbstraight and admiral like this.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

I vote for the younger the better....at their own pace. My dad started us very young, I was riding on his tank when I was too little to be on the back (probably frowned on these days) then he would run along side of us letting the clutch out on his Garelli 75cc running beside us the entire time until we were able to balance. He really got his exercise because he had to run along to pull that clutch back in to get us stopped even after we were able to balance. We also learned to balance without sitting, on a little Pranafa Playboy scooter on which we could stand or sit. My brother was only 2 when he started riding that scooter, he had to stand because he was too short to reach the seat. I don't know about other families but we rode almost everyday and somehow, none of us ever took an interest in doing competition, we all just liked riding for fun. I forgot to mention, my mom and dad rode this little scooter too and when my older cousins came to visit while on leave from the Navy, they had a blast riding that little thing too.

Pranafa Playboy1.jpgPranaf.jpg

Pretty much anything you get can be rigged with a tether kill switch. That way if anything starts to happen you can shut it down quick.

You never did mention his age
    -tcepilot Hidden Content
    --- Psalm 23 Verses 4-5 ----

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil,
    for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed
    my head with oil; My cup overflows. (New American Standard Bible)

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    I had my son on a pw50 at age 4. He could ride a bicycle without training wheels and had ridden with me many times.
    The pw50 has a throttle screw that limits its speed. As they get more skill you can allow more speed.
    I started fairly young myself and have had nephews that started young as well. The most important thing is to not put him in a situation that can be frustrating (i.e., falling a lot or getting hurt) which could put a damper on his enthusiasm. My nephews had a few tumbles and quickly lost interest. The PW50 is a good choice as it has that motorcycle look but functions similar to a minibike and is very low to the ground (making falls less dramatic). The throttle control will help prevent it from getting into a 'run away' situation if he has trouble backing off the gas if it takes off on him.

No such thing as too young for motorcycling IMO. As soon as it's possible for them to sit on one with your assistance is a good time to start So pretty much when they're born...haha.

IMO the Honda CRF50 is by far the best choice for young riders. So much that I would argue it's pretty much the only choice. I wish my dad had bought me a dirt bike when I was five!
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links