Need input from you life long MC guy's please.
Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Need input from you life long MC guy's please.

Need input from you life long MC guy's please.

Ok so I have been looking for a road bike that would still feel at home on some of the seasonal roads. I know nothing of this bike and would very much appreciate any advice you are willing to give. Please include based on your experience what a FAIR price/offer might be. Asking price seems really high unless this bike is legendary or something.

https://elmira.craigslist.org/mcy/5003889161.html

Thank you
    Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

That bike is an Icon. Probably doesn't do anything great by modern standards. But in it's day it was either a Honda or a BMW. The rarity and condition can justify a high price. But, is it what you really want?
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Rare bike, never see them. Looks excellently taken care of. Probably worth it easily, just because it's so rare. Don't know about availability of parts though? Have you looked for a forum on them?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I just saw it tonight and as Borneo would say "it was speaking to me". I have no idea why but there is just something about it???? Awful high price though.

No I have not done any research yet. Figured since I trust you guy's I would ask here first.

Tom
    Fred and Smitty Blackstone like this.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Tom,

I would be very surprised if this bike lasts very long on craigslist.

This is probably the nicest example of a Transalp that I have ever seen for sale. And with less than 10,000 miles! They were only sold in the US for a couple of years.

If that bike were posted near me, I would jump on it!

If you were able to get it for the asking price, or even less, you would have no problem getting your money back out of it and could probably make money on it.

That's my opinion.

Brian

Last edited by TW-Brian; 04-30-2015 at 07:59 PM.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

The only input I have is a DR650 is a big TW200 with thin tires easy to work on has an oil cooler and tons of after market stuff and easy to lower and has not changed in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Tom,

I would be very surprised if this bike lasts very long on craigslist.

This is probably the nicest example of a Transalp that I have ever seen for sale. And with less than 10,000 miles! They were only sold in the US for a couple of years.

If that bike were posted near me, I would jump on it!

If you were able to get it for the asking price, or even less, you would have no problem getting your money back out of it and could probably make money on it.

That's my opinion.

Brian

Thank you for your reply!!! You are a wrench and ride guy, do you know how hard it would be to get parts? I am sorry for being ignorant about this but...........I am

Tom
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

It would talk to me too, just because it's so rare and cool. That was the first year they were imported into the U.S. They made many upgrades to the bike in the years following. You might be wise to pass on it, unless you collect bikes. How about one of these instead? You would look so good in it with your pink ruffled hickory shirt...just sayin. Plus the poodles are chick magnets.

Dryden-Tdub and jbfla like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I'm no lifelong MC guy, but my boss rides a Transalp to work a few days a week.

His is the same year, 1989. He told me he's had it for about 10 years and all he's had to do is change the oil. He also told me that he paid about $1200 for his, which seems a little more reasonable to me. There's a Transalp thread on ADVrider:Show us your TransAlp modifications! - ADVrider
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Hi Tom,

I don't know this for a fact, but I would guess that parts should be readily from Honda. While it was only sold in the US for a couple of years, it was sold in other parts of the world for quite some time.

Honda Transalp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brian

hmmmmmmm. . . . the ad says "Delivery possible"

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links