Tried to buy an XT225 tonight
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Tried to buy an XT225 tonight

Unhappy Tried to buy an XT225 tonight

I just want to vent, that's all.

I drove all the freakin' way up to Portland, in Memorial Day traffic, to look at a bike. A 2000 XT225 with 2600 miles on it. Asking price was $1600, which, at least based on book value, is quite high. High book is $900. 'Course I didn't expect to get it for that.

Got there, it was decently clean, but the front fender was thrashed and it had some rust on the handlebars. It also didn't run quite right. Maybe the carb was dirty, or maybe it was almost out of gas. But the seller wouldn't budge from his $1600 asking price. I had actually hoped to get it for $1200, but even offered him $1400 and he wouldn't take it. He claimed he'd had "eight to ten" calls on it so far and I was the first. Yeah sure he did. He said he'd let me know "tomorrow" on the $1400 offer; I said it was good tonight only because I wasn't driving all the way back up there.

Part of it is I really didn't like the guy. He was a bit too much of a hard-ass. It's personalities like that that make me unwilling to deal much with them. The whole, "I'm sure it's worth $X so there," is a big turn-off. Older dude (mid-late 50's), shorter even than me, stocky, kinda like an older Barney Rubble without the personality.

I almost wish I'd offered him $1500, but like I said, liking the seller has a lot to do with it. And I didn't.
    Dryden-Tdub and admiral like this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Dunno kno.

She says things happen for a reason.

Dude sold a xt600 out from under me. "Word".?!?

Twas how I reassessed and wound up with a TW.

It stinks. But you still have your pocketroll.

Yeah there will be others, I know. I just wanted to vent is all.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Funny coincidence. I contact a guy on CL who has a nice looking leather M/C jacket, zip out linings both mesh and thinsulate for 89 dollars. He says, he'll meet me to show, then the thing that pi&&ed me off, "Be sure to bring cash in hand, and firm on price." Yeah, I know, he doesn't know me from Adam, but JEEZ! I guess I need to realize I'm not dealing with someone from this awesome forum and "shut off" my "get offended" button.

Tom
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Wow. All the guys who were selling bikes on CL that i met are nice. Sorry about your guys' experiences.

Personalities do make some differences in buying and selling but from the sellers perspective he may not have liked you much either! Having bought and sold quite a few MCs over my years I suppose I could be considered a hardass. I know what I have in the bikes I sell and I also know what the bottom dollar price I am willing to sell them for. The key for me is that I don't need to sell any bike so I can make a car or truck payment so I will hold my place and send lowballers packing. I don't honestly care if the prospective buyer leaves thinking I was a hardass.

Many of us here are always looking for those great deals, me included. As long as the price is in line with the going rates for your area and the bike meets or exceeds your requirements then the price is up to the seller and buyer. I search for the Garage Queens with super low miles and in showroom condition and usually buy in the off season so I can get the deals and make a few bucks. Right now it is rare that I would buy but very sure the time to sell.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Bought our horse trailer from an asshole. Yes, I said asshole! One of the most rudest people I've ever met. If this horse trailer wasn't exactly what we needed, we would have walked. I try to see the good in people and I did in him. Good riddance!

Enjoying the trailer though!
    Hidebound likes this.

I feel your pain. However, just asking about his price flexibility ("Gee, I see high-book is $900.00. Why is your's worth $1600?") on the phone before the drive would have told you a lot. Jus'sayin'.

To me the listed book value is completely meaningless! I don't have a clue what the book value of a 2006 TW is but I have one in my garage that has 73 original miles and is in absolute showroom condition. I will sell it for the price I put on it or it will stay in my garage until I do. What means the most when buying a TW is condition and miles and I don't give a hoot what the book says. Let me know exactly what has changed between a 2014 and a 2006 TW beside the color combo? I also have a 2006 XT225 with 94 original miles in the same condition and they won't be sold to any low ballers.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Wow. This may be a poor way to introduce myself to this forum .
    But as I just got home with my most recent acquisition last night... The worlds ugliest 1987 TW 200 . ( I was looking for a project and sure found one)
    00P0P_almKNv5rBXv_600x450.jpg
    I struck the deal , long distance , and drove 100 miles to get the bike.... Kid was great.....
    I'v been in the MC business for 35 years... Have rarely found the bike I needed around the corner.
    In the case of the PO he had to travel 60 miles + or - ........
    I checked Craigslist Portland / and Seattle , out of 4 or 5 bikes ( XT 225's ) The one he went after was the lowest priced bike advertised.
    That should give you a clue of the market for sed bike... Blue book values are nothing more than a sales tool for dealers . They do not reflect market value....
    Nothing offends me more than a buyer trying to low ball me using the BLUE BOOK........
    Sounds to me like Barney research'd the market in Portland and set his price at the low end of the scale....
    If I was the PO and was hot to find a 225 before the riding season really kicks in to gear I'd call Barney and offer what he's asking .... JMHO
    GaryL likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links