VERY RARE BIKE Wankel Rotary Engined Suzuki
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: VERY RARE BIKE Wankel Rotary Engined Suzuki

VERY RARE BIKE Wankel Rotary Engined Suzuki

1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I remember those bikes. In the day they were nicknamed " Water Buffalo".
    Thank you Tommy for the link .
    littletommy likes this.

I thought those were the GT 750's. They also had that big radiator.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It was the GT750 that was nick name water buffalo. The wankle was an interesting idea.. They had a problem with seals etc. They were pushing about 100# of oil pressure.. (I think)OMM.
    littletommy likes this.

I thought it was interesting when I ran across the article. I had forgotten about those bikes way back then. Cool part of history though. I know we have collectors out there. (Hi Smitty) I posted it so someone could scoop it up if they wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    LT and OMM are right about the GT750 being nicknamed the Water Buffalo. That was Suzuki's two stroke triple.

The Suzuki Wankel engined bike was a rotary engine....and NOT called the Water Buffalo.
    Mike, was this bike super fast like the Kawasaki Mach 3's? ?

Over here we referred to the Suzy GT750 as the “Kettle” – the RE5 was unworthy of a name.

A novel idea, but despite the simplicity of the Wankel engine design, Suzuki somehow managed to complicated it. Top speed was only 104mph, “sub-par” for the 750cc bikes of the day – the Kettle pulled 110+, and the Kawasaki “Widowmaker”, the KH750, a blistering 126mph.

Often seen on Ebay.co.uk – prices range between £2,500 to £6,500 – these two remain unsold after several months …………

Suzuki RE5 RE 5 M Rotary Wankel 12,651 mls BARN FIND ride or restore. LAST ONE!! | eBay

SUZUKI RE5 1976, | eBay
    littletommy likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Over here we referred to the Suzy GT750 as the “Kettle” – the RE5 was unworthy of a name.

A novel idea, but despite the simplicity of the Wankel engine design, Suzuki somehow managed to complicated it. Top speed was only 104mph, “sub-par” for the 750cc bikes of the day – the Kettle pulled 110+, and the Kawasaki “Widowmaker”, the KH750, a blistering 126mph.

Often seen on Ebay.co.uk – prices range between £2,500 to £6,500 – these two remain unsold after several months …………

Suzuki RE5 RE 5 M Rotary Wankel 12,651 mls BARN FIND ride or restore. LAST ONE!! | eBay

SUZUKI RE5 1976, | eBay
    Thanks for the info Purple. I enjoyed reading the ads you posted. Back in the day, I had talked one of my friends, a new motorcycle rider into buying one of the new Kawasaki's. He got the 500cc little one. He was a little afraid of it though at first so I ended up riding us around on it sometimes. We were on a road trip coming back down through California north of San Francisco, now it may have been slightly downhill and with 2 riders, with some effort and several miles to loosen up the engine, we actually reached 136 MPH. I remember that trip well. I knew however that if we hit even a tiny tiny bad patch in the road or even hit a pebble, it was all over!! I don't ride like that any more, like TWilight does, probably every time he takes out his bikes!!! It was impressive that with 2 people, one of them being larger than large, that it could hit that speed, don't you think?
    TWilight likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    No...the Suzuki GT750...water buffalo...was no where near as fast as the kawi Mach 3......which was not as fast as the kawi Mach 1.

The GT750 was overweight, and bulky. Hence....water buffalo.

And, for IronButt history buffs, the Suzuki RE5 wankel has been ridden in more than one IronButt Rally (11,000 miles in 11 days), which also happens to be going on right this minute.

Mike, I was talking about the Wankel.

I am aware of the Iron Butt Rally. Not sure if you have done one or not, can't remember if you have mentioned it before, but relatively sure if you haven't, it's the only one you haven't...yet.
    TWilight likes this.

"'Ol Sparky" has done the Iron Butt - and got the paper work to prove it - though the attitude says more about the experience .....

However (another word for "nonetheless") ..............

The problem with the 500cc (and upwards) late 70’s early 80’s two-strokes was the frame design. They just couldn’t handle the power – it was like the swinging arm was made of rubber.

I had the Suzuki GT550K for years, but over 90mph it all got a bit “dodgy” – the Kawasaki’s were even more fierce, and the KH750’s reputation of “The Widow Maker” was well earned.

After that, with the arrival of the now notorious Kawasaki Z900, things started to get silly. You could stick it in third, open the throttle, and spin out the rear tire and do a wheelie at the same time – with the same frame technology - and this was over 35 years ago …………

The Suzuki RE5 however, was a bit more stable, and for all its lack of power (or perhaps because of it) handled slightly better.

Your experience on the Kwack 500 (136mph) was probably down to two factors – back then the speedos weren’t all that accurate, and you were going downhill – but 126mph downhill was more than possible at the time.

Thankfully, with the advent of the Z1000, things settled down a bit – never been the same since, until all this “Hyabusa” stuff started it all off again, but now, we have the frames that can handle it (even if the roads and riders can’t).

To drag this kicking and screaming back to the humble TW, although the TW has a box section swinging arm, look at what’s it’s attached to – despite the side by side fixing points, it all ends in a single tube to the headstock. Now consider the lateral forces applied by that wide rear tire – it has to go somewhere. Maybe OK on the trail, but on tarmac ……………….

The Japanese were starting to address some of the problems with frame design by the mid 80’s, but they still had a way to go when they designed the TW ……………..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links