Talk about nostalgia...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Talk about nostalgia...

Talk about nostalgia...

Vintage Yamaha GT 80

I came across this on craigslist a little while ago. This is the exact year/model/color as my 1st bike, which I got around age 11 or 12. I almost want to go buy it for sentimental reasons. My son is 9... I beat the crap out of that bike for years. It needed $300+ worth of work and I couldn't afford that so I sold it to my friend.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by SickPuppy76 View Post
    Vintage Yamaha GT 80

I came across this on craigslist a little while ago. This is the exact year/model/color as my 1st bike, which I got around age 11 or 12. I almost want to go buy it for sentimental reasons. My son is 9... I beat the crap out of that bike for years. It needed $300+ worth of work and I couldn't afford that so I sold it to my friend.
    Given the facts you state, I would go get it and restore it for him. It's nice and low mileage!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

That is sweet, grab it.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Given the facts you state, I would go get it and restore it for him. It's nice and low mileage!
    I wish I had the time for that kind of thing...
    littletommy likes this.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD

Nice thing is, the GT80, when new, was a dual sport and came with lights and turn signals. Looks like that was stripped off this one (same as mine).
    littletommy likes this.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2005 Buick Rainier AWD

I would agree with you Tommy, but knowing how I was with my first bike I would leave it as is. If he is anything like I was he is going to beat it like a circus monkey.
    SickPuppy76 and littletommy like this.

Would be fun to put the street running gear back on it and make it road legal. When I first got my GT80 it would go 65 with me on it. I ended up gearing it down for trail riding and it topped out around 55.
    littletommy likes this.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2005 Buick Rainier AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbanflood View Post
    I would agree with you Tommy, but knowing how I was with my first bike I would leave it as is. If he is anything like I was he is going to beat it like a circus monkey.
    Ha ha, I understand perfectly. It's just that if your son sees you putting blood, sweat and tears into something that so special and that is going to be his, he may just learn something and have a greater appreciation for it. The bond between dad and son and the lesson learned just by watching dad work so hard is easily worth the price of the bike and the time put into it.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Ha ha, I understand perfectly. It's just that if your son sees you putting blood, sweat and tears into something that so special and that is going to be his, he may just learn something and have a greater appreciation for it. The bond between dad and son and the lesson learned just by watching dad work so hard is easily worth the price of the bike and the time put into it.
    No doubt about that. I started riding with my Dad at 10 years old on his bike. He told me that I could get my own when I could pay for it. I was delivering news papers before school and mopping the floors at the grocery store after school. Soon after he took me to pickup my 1973 candy orange Kawasaki G5-100. It was used but in very good condition. To me it was the most beautiful thing that I had ever seen. Not long after I started stripping all of the lights off, headlight, tail light directionals and replaced them with a set of motocross number plates (#7 for my favorite motocross racer at the time, Jimmy Ellis.). I changed the sprockets to gear it better for the sand, the rear was ridiculously big, like a dinner plate. I took the trials tires off and put knobbies on. My Dad helped me with all of the work but I paid for everything. He thought that I was ruining the bike but helped me anyway. When we were done he could not believe how much better the bike was in the sand, and it looked awesome. With the new sprockets I learned to do very long wheelies but you can imagine what the bike went through in that learning process. I was doing longer and longer jumps and again the bike took quite a few tumbles. On more than a few occasions I would call my Dad at work to stop on the way home from work to get me parts for repairs. There are many great memories of us riding together but many more of us working on that bike.

I would suggest buying the bike as is. Take the lights and anything else that would break or bend easily off. Mark the wires well, store all of the parts in a box and let him ride the heck out of it. When he is a few years older and a good rider, you can do the restoration together. Then you will both truly appreciate the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbanflood View Post
    No doubt about that. I started riding with my Dad at 10 years old on his bike. He told me that I could get my own when I could pay for it. I was delivering news papers before school and mopping the floors at the grocery store after school. Soon after he took me to pickup my 1973 candy orange Kawasaki G5-100. It was used but in very good condition. To me it was the most beautiful thing that I had ever seen. Not long after I started stripping all of the lights off, headlight, tail light directionals and replaced them with a set of motocross number plates (#7 for my favorite motocross racer at the time, Jimmy Ellis.). I changed the sprockets to gear it better for the sand, the rear was ridiculously big, like a dinner plate. I took the trials tires off and put knobbies on. My Dad helped me with all of the work but I paid for everything. He thought that I was ruining the bike but helped me anyway. When we were done he could not believe how much better the bike was in the sand, and it looked awesome. With the new sprockets I learned to do very long wheelies but you can imagine what the bike went through in that learning process. I was doing longer and longer jumps and again the bike took quite a few tumbles. On more than a few occasions I would call my Dad at work to stop on the way home from work to get me parts for repairs. There are many great memories of us riding together but many more of us working on that bike.

I would suggest buying the bike as is. Take the lights and anything else that would break or bend easily off. Mark the wires well, store all of the parts in a box and let him ride the heck out of it. When he is a few years older and a good rider, you can do the restoration together. Then you will both truly appreciate the bike.
    I also had a G5, mine was yellow and I also stripped it down. Neat little motorcycle. Seemed odd at the time that the carb was under the right engine side cover (rotary valve induction) and if you tipped it over on that side, it would smoke like crazy from the tranny oil that made it into the intake. Lots of memories with that bike, my first "real" motorcycle.

Kawasaki-G5-100-03.jpg
    littletommy likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links