13 Great Starter Bike Options....well, almost.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 13 Great Starter Bike Options....well, almost.

13 Great Starter Bike Options....well, almost.

1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quite a few are good starters in their for sure, and you see them on CL all the time pretty cheap.
    littletommy likes this.

I really like the little Suzuki TU250X. I almost bought one before finding the TW200. Now I'm glad I waited for the TW.
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A Ducati Monster as a starter bike? 0.O;

And the KLR, while the power is low and easily manageable, should only be considered a starter bike for tall people who have been warned ahead of time what to expect.
    It wears its weight high and there's a lot of it. Also likes to fall over a lot until you get annoyed with having to find a ditch to put your kickstand in and cut the kickstand down to size.
    Those fairings are great honking sails that turn the lightest zephyr into a seemingly hurricane force breeze.
    KLR = Keep Loc-tite Ready. It will try and shake all its bolts loose if not threatened repeatedly with a wrench.
    Anything before the 2014 New Edition cones with suspension made out of re-purposed spaghetti noodles
    On the bright side a new owner will get a lot of quality time perfecting his or her oil changing technique. That big single changes oil into water in no time at all.
    The balancer idle lever and spring assembly (doohickey) is garbage right out of the crate. It requires almost immediate replacement unless the new owner likes doing engine swaps.
    Watch for Mama Kawi's 'light switch' throttle response at low speed. Now you see it, now you don't.

The list of things to do on this mechanic's special is almost endless and needs a 'special' person to actually like one. 'Specially patient and good with a wrench that is. I like mine, but then tinkering does run in the family. Honestly, not a real good beginner bike at all and tells me the writer of that article never had a KLR for any length of time - making the rest of the list suspect.
    littletommy and jeffrolives like this.
    '01 TW200, '03 Z1000, '09 KLR 650, '13 CRF250L

Quote Originally Posted by Hidebound View Post
    A Ducati Monster as a starter bike? 0.O;

And the KLR, while the power is low and easily manageable, should only be considered a starter bike for tall people who have been warned ahead of time what to expect.
    It wears its weight high and there's a lot of it. Also likes to fall over a lot until you get annoyed with having to find a ditch to put your kickstand in and cut the kickstand down to size.
    Those fairings are great honking sails that turn the lightest zephyr into a seemingly hurricane force breeze.
    KLR = Keep Loc-tite Ready. It will try and shake all its bolts loose if not threatened repeatedly with a wrench.
    Anything before the 2014 New Edition cones with suspension made out of re-purposed spaghetti noodles
    On the bright side a new owner will get a lot of quality time perfecting his or her oil changing technique. That big single changes oil into water in no time at all.
    The balancer idle lever and spring assembly (doohickey) is garbage right out of the crate. It requires almost immediate replacement unless the new owner likes doing engine swaps.
    Watch for Mama Kawi's 'light switch' throttle response at low speed. Now you see it, now you don't.

The list of things to do on this mechanic's special is almost endless and needs a 'special' person to actually like one. 'Specially patient and good with a wrench that is. I like mine, but then tinkering does run in the family. Honestly, not a real good beginner bike at all and tells me the writer of that article never had a KLR for any length of time - making the rest of the list suspect.

The article originally called all those bikes perfect for beginners. I added the "almost" to the title, because I didn't agree with it either. I knew the KLR would be a handful, but when I saw they listed the Ducati??? GeeWhiz... Thanks for the info on the KLR by the way....
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

I know for a fact my wife is loving her new V-star 250.... She is getting from 82/92..MPG.. We went on a 300 milers last week, to my surprise she headed out on the turnpike.. It held 70 (GPS) without any problems.. And it really takes the curves.. OMM.
    littletommy likes this.

I get so tired of articles like that, that ignore the DR650. It's a vastly better starter bike than the KLR due to significantly less weight and better reliability.
    littletommy and Hidebound like this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I get so tired of articles like that, that ignore the DR650. It's a vastly better starter bike than the KLR due to significantly less weight and better reliability.
    So true Rob!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    You nailed it Rob. Seems these article writers by and general have never owned or ridden a motorcycle and are going by the highly scientific 'what some guy in the pub told me' method of research.
    littletommy likes this.
    '01 TW200, '03 Z1000, '09 KLR 650, '13 CRF250L

Yep that and reading a few reviews on various websites.

Plus, there's also the Honda CRF250L that's certainly worth considering for the small-cc crowd... and what about the new line of 300cc bikes like the Ninja 300, CBR300, KTM Duke 390, etc, etc. These guys really don't have a freakin' clue.

And if you REALLY wanna "go there" with regards to first-timer bikes, you don't buy a new one. Buy a used bike for half the price or less, since odds are you'll want something else within a year anyway.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links