The Electrification of Transportation
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The Electrification of Transportation

The Electrification of Transportation

I was browsing my local Barnes & Nobel today in my typical library fashion, when I came across Electric Car Insider magazine — EV BUYERS GUIDE and had to buy it. It has an Electric Motorcycle Matrix (including Scooters and Mopeds) and an Electric Automobile Matrix (includes Plug-In Hybrids) - Specification Quick Reference for all.

I’ve never been that interested in all electric or even hybrid cars and bikes, but the idea of an electric powered vehicle that has its’ own gasoline, diesel or natural gas generator to charge itself has always intrigued me (think Jaguar C-X75 Twin Turbine Electric Supercar — way cool!). Range is the issue with these things for me, along with the crazy sticker price they put on them. It appears they build-in future operation expense savings and carry it forward into price. I’m not sure that is justified…

Anyway, what surprised me were the amount of new 2015 and 2016 motorcycle models out there and coming. Even Yamaha has two entries; the PED1 and PES1. KTM already has the FreeRide and Harley-Davidson the LiveWire (test rides only). BMW has the C Evolution scooter. Even Bultaco (didn’t know they were still around) is getting into the game with their Rapitan and Rapitan Sport.

Has anyone tried an electric motorcycle yet? What do you active riders think of the electrification of transportation?

I’d be more likely to consider something like the Swiss built STROMER - ST1 PLATINUM when it comes to an electric toy.

On the automotive side, the 2016 Audi R8 e-tron looks awesome and has a 280 mile stated range.
    TW200 "Little Brute" is gone - Waiting to see what 2016 brings (WR250R/CRF250 RALLY/KTM390/Africa Twin or E-bicycle?)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz1aTLBKIoQ

This bike set the record at pikes peak in 2013. [The current record was set last year in a ninja zx10.]
    Little Brute and DANo896 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by methamphetasaur View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz1aTLBKIoQ

This bike set the record at pikes peak in 2013. [The current record was set last year in a ninja zx10.]
    WOW! Fastest overall...
    TW200 "Little Brute" is gone - Waiting to see what 2016 brings (WR250R/CRF250 RALLY/KTM390/Africa Twin or E-bicycle?)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The ZERO Dual Sport is one of the bikes in this magazine that falls into the catagory a lot of readers here can relate to. Not bad looking, but expensive at $13,345-$17,840.

You can read more here:
    Zero DS Electric Motorcycle - Features || ZERO MOTORCYCLES

Hmmm... I see a sign up for a test ride on their site.
    Last edited by Little Brute; 07-18-2015 at 07:40 PM.

We bought an electric car called a Miles. It definitely wasn't ready for being on the roads. Our house is solar powered so I added enough panels to run the car. We donated the car to the engineering school at Rolla for their solar village when we realized it wasn't going to work for us. We have had 2 electric bicycles for around town riding and they have worked out good. I would say be careful about buying something unless it is proven, or you have an electrical engineering degree and can maintain it yourself.

Electric vehicles can be fun and recreational, not just utilitarian..This Osset trials bike is less than 4 grand with the upgrade battery at local distributor.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-20-2015 at 01:02 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I test drove the Zero DS. Interesting ride. Electric motors have essentially a flat torque curve, but I think they softened it just a bit from a stop. Felt soft off the line then full on from about 10 mph up. The lack of engine noise seems to make all other noise louder. You seem to hear every knobbie slap the ground, every squeak of suspension, odd. The flatness of the torque delivery goes against my internal combustion programing. Makes it feel more intense than it actually is I think. I think you would adapt fairly quickly. Just different at first. over all it was a pretty fun 20 minutes.
    All that said I think this direction is a mistake. Speaking from a chemistry background the density of energy from batteries is just not competitive with the energy stored in Hydrocarbon bonds. This makes for serious limitations in range even with the best batteries. Recharge time is also still an issue that has no practical solution yet.
    Lets look at this from a flipped over view. It is fully possible to use electricity to convert CO2 and H2O (what gas burns into) back into its hydrocarbon state. So consider this, we build a refinery that harvests CO2 from the atmosphere or as a byproduct of combustion, use solar power to convert them back into the gas we know and love, and we keep driving our TW200's same as always. (maybe better if they leave the ethanol out)
    So why aren't we doing this? Simple answer=Price. Oil is still fairly plentiful and cheap. But the technology is there. This makes me something of an optimist. I know people love there gloom and doom, but when gas gets up to a price that makes this viable. The gas companies will do it. Once in place this is a fully renewable system. As in forever.
    My brother has installed all of the panels on his roof and is in line for one of the tesla battery packs to go off the grid. He also just bought a Chevy Volt, but he is currently far away and I haven't had a chance to drive it yet. The Volt has a 40-50 mile range on just batteries before you are back to running on hydrocarbons. Seems a reasonable setup.
    Last edited by sponge; 07-20-2015 at 12:59 AM.
    DANo896, Little Brute and kj7687 like this.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

A few friends and I are seriously considering getting Mountain E-Bikes. I'm leaning towards a 29"er Hard-Tail like the new Haibike/Yamaha SDURO HardNine RX.

Yamaha has partnered with Hiabike for the Sduro line:
    Big News: New Haibike SDURO ePerformance line with Yamaha Motors | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

I can see myself moving into the E-Bike realm between a bicycle and motorcycle, that has serious off-road abilities. The Sduro line has a Skid-Plate and some Electronic Suspenion, plus push buttom seat post up/down. It sure looks like Yamaha's team made a grand effort to enter the E-Bike and E-Motorcycle market in a big way in the year ahead!
    badcat likes this.

these really interest me, and the spin-off in technology will affect motorcycles everywhere in time.
    i'd love to build an electric TW!

ken

It would be nice to be able to try one out. Just looking at the Zero DS I want one, but the price still needs to come down and the range to go up before it's feasible to really think about a purchase.

On a semi-related note: Preston Petty races on an electric bike. Woo!
    The Life Electric: Preston Petty
    Little Brute likes this.
    '01 TW200, '03 Z1000, '09 KLR 650, '13 CRF250L

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links