XT 250 questions?
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By old white truck
  • 1 Post By kj7687

Thread: XT 250 questions?

Question XT 250 questions?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm asking about the 2013 to 2015 model years. Also I might come back later to post more questions. There is quite a lot that I already know about this bike; there are some things that I still don't know.

1.) Will a set of HDB Ultimate hand guards on Pro Taper SE CR hi-bend handlebars fit on this bike without requiring any modifications or longer cables or anything? I'll call them, but still would like confirmation from someone who has done this or knows for sure. If all else fails, I'll have to get off my lazy ass and go measure stuff. To me that just seems a little sketchy when you're spending over $200, though. It seems that HDB ought to do that themselves and make a database of the measurements so they can sell model-specific handlebar/guards kits. Anyway, it's not my business. So if I want their product (awesome, by the way!), I have to do things their way I guess.

2.) What material is used in the cylinder of this bike? Nikasil plating? Iron sleeve/liner?

3.) Will there be any clearance type of issues with the swing arm or the chain binding or anything like that, if running a 14 tooth front sprocket? Stock is a 15 tooth. I'm guessing most likely not, but I like to be absolutely sure about things whenever possible. Related to this: if I'm not mistaken, the speedometer is driven by the front sprocket on this bike. Does anyone know how inaccurate it is on this model (is the percentage of inaccuracy the same for all 2013+ XT 250's, or will the amount of error be different depending on the specific actual bike?)? Also, changing this sprocket would then cause a change in speedometer accuracy. If I'm thinking about this right, then going to a larger front sprocket would tend to increase speedometer accuracy, while going smaller would decrease accuracy (assuming the speedometer shows a speed that is higher than that at which the vehicle is actually traveling). Correct? If so, how do I know by how much? Sigh. This is too much math for me. I know I'm hopelessly OCD. Sorry. I guess I could always test this bike versus my DR200, if I can get the stupid thing fixed. I was satisfied with cruising at indicated 60 mph on the DR, and IIRC it was pretty accurate based on speed trap readings, so I could compare that to readings on the XT. Then I could just go whatever readings get me the desired actual speeds. Failing that, I guess I could just buy a stupid GPS unit.

4.) I have noticed that the mounting system for the Cyclerack for this bike is a little different from all the others I have seen. Will those two tabs coming down vertically/parallel to each other hold up to the borderline abuse to which I subject my dual sports? I'm worried that they may bend or break under extreme use - as in slamming the bike down hard one one side or the other! Since I buy Cycleracks primarily for their functionality as armor...

https://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail...6/Default.aspx (click on the "Customer Pictures" tab on this page).

What about having a fabrication shop weld a cross brace running between the two tabs, just above the plastic there?

5.) What is the engine red line/max safe engine speed? I seem to remember reading 10,200 RPM or some such, somewhere. But I can't remember where and I can't seem to dig it up again.
    Last edited by kj7687; 08-02-2015 at 03:27 AM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

TWilight: ODD? Was that meant to be oppositional defiant disorder?? Or did you actually mean odd? Or did you mean to write OCD? Not sure I follow...

1.) Thank you!

2.) I have a ton of experience with bikes like this, and with several different sprocket combinations/gear ratios on them. For MY wants/needs I am absolutely certain that a 14 tooth would NOT mess up the bike. It will definitely improve the vehicle for MY intended usage. A 14 tooth front will provide more grunt/pickup for those steep/loose second gear hill climbs off road. Yes, I could go with a 15/51 setup instead (from 15/48 stock). The reasoning behind 14/48 was due to price (a little cheaper for the sprocket and no new chain required).

3.) Yes, I am 90 percent sure the XT uses a counter shaft speed sensor. Yes, I need to bump that up to 100 percent. But I am a hundred percent sure some motorcycles use that setup. No, this type of speedometer setup does not make sense, lol. It is a stupid system because changing sprockets will affect the accuracy of speed readings. Not sure why some of them do it that way...

4.) I will call what's his name, Don (?) at CycleRacks and ask him about this, too. Also I will ask if he will still replace the rack if I weld a cross brace in there and then it breaks after that. As for stopping the way I ride dual sports - NEVER!!! To me, a huge part of the fun of riding dirt bikes is conquering the most extreme terrain humanly possible ( a la Erzberg Rodeo, Red Bull Romaniacs, Sea to Sky, etc.). In my experience, these machines WILL stand up to this type of extreme use for thousands of miles IF they are properly armored up.

Thanks very much for the responses. On a related note, yes, I am also trying other forums with these questions, thanks.
    Last edited by kj7687; 08-01-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    TWilight likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Sponosred Links