Close

Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By phelonius
  • 2 Post By TWROG
  • 1 Post By phelonius
  • 2 Post By TWROG

Thread: change a tire

change a tire

Time for the yearly inspection to be legally registered. The inspector says change that tire or no sticker.
    Naturally it is the rear tire on a Honda 750 shaft drive Aero. This means it is a nasty job just to get the wheel off the machine.
    It takes an hour. It is a 170X80X15 tire, I,m not even going to try to break the bead myself. In Washington State the local motorcycle dealer was a friend who would let be use his equipment. Today all I have is my Harley tire irons and a good supply of profanity.
    I take the wheel to the auto garage, (the nearest MC shop is 50 miles away) and they are kind enough to press off the beads.
    I go home and begin the siege. Getting the first side off is merely strenuous but I succeed. Getting the second side off is showing me how weak I have become at age 71. I have nothing to hold the wheel so I have to hold it with one hand while levering with the other.
    If you have never tried this, don't. That's my advice. I takes three levers and one hand must hold the wheel down while manipulating the three tire irons. This means using an armpit and teeth
    (I only have 9 of those left) to finally work the tire off the rim.
    That's when I notice that the dunlop tire I bought says tubeless. This is an old fashioned spoked rim using a tube type.
    It's Friday late and the MC shop is 50 miles away. Forkit! I'm putting it on anyway. I slather the rim and bead with weiner schlider
    that's unscented KY jelly, do the same for the tire and begin the fight anew. T'snot at all easy. The wheel fights me all the way.
    The first side on, the tube goes in, then I inflate the tube with enough air to almost set the first bead. Then I fight the other side into place. I pressurize enough to partially set the beads to make sure the tube is not folded. Only then do I put in the valve core and inflate the tube until I hear the beads pop into place. I check pressure with three different gauges. The first one I didn't trust, the second one didn't work, and I finally found the good one. Less than twenty PSI. Good. I air it up to 31 PSI and put the valve cap on.
    I'm not going to put the wheel back on the bike until tomorrow when I will know if it is holding air. I can do this easily because it is raining outside again.
    When I go to wash up I realize that the job may not be complete. I have shed no blood nor broken any bones. This worries me.
    Without the obligatory blood sacrifice, I have no assurance that the tire will hold air. O well, tomorrow will tell.
    I'm going to shower and change and go for Kava.

Phelonius

Perfectly fine to use a tube in a tubeless tire. One thing on installing, You said you partially set the bead once one side was on. This will prevent you from letting the tire sit in the "well" of the rim giving you more reach to install the other side.

And the job isnt complete, you havent mounted the wheel yet, thats when youll start bleeding
    jtomelliott49 and TWilight like this.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

Partially setting ONE side bead does not inhibit getting the other into the well or grove, in fact it helps by preventing both beads trying to occupy that space while wrassling with the irons.
    You may note that I am 71 years old. I have been doing motorcycle tires a looong time. I have owned and rode more than 50 bikes. Only three were TWs.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Phelonius

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You do have 20 years on me I have learned that those that have been on this planet longer than I speak from having been there and done that. So, let me re-phrase what I said. Its been MY experience that when the back side tries to set in its bead I have a more difficult time trying to keep the front side in the "well". I have never tried to partially set the entire back side bead so next time Ill try that and see how that works.

Thanks
    grewen and TWilight like this.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

Do not have the valve core in place when you do it as you want it to immediatly deflate. Only inflate enough the the bead begins to go in place. Since the other bead is outside the rim,
    care must be that the tube does not over expand. When you begin to spoon the second side, push it down into the center grove while levering. As you work around, it will stay there.
    When the second bead is on, I again inflate to position the beads and let it completely deflate. This takes out any wrinkles in the tube. Only then do I put the valve core back in place
    and pressure enough to set both beads.
    Phelonius

Sponosred Links