Yamaha SR400 almost love
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Yamaha SR400 almost love

Yamaha SR400 almost love

Had to take the "cage" to the dealership today. Since MotoZoo (yamaha dealership) is nearby I decided to spend the waiting room time over there drooling.
    Tried on a pair of $600 Fox boots. Not impressed.
    Noted that they had TW-34 and TW-31 tires on the rack. Nice to know some dealers keep them in stock.
    The bike that really caught my eye, and that I really wanted to love, Was the "new" old SR400
    0926151006.jpg
    For an around town, and mild highway bike, it is hitting the right buttons.
    Fuel Injected, Air cooled, light weight, kick start, simple, single cylinder engine.
    Light weight.
    Long flat seat.
    Duel analog gauges.
    Top dead center sight glass.
    Not a pretentious, look at me, part on there.
    Problem was a closer look and I started to see a few design quirks that after a while started to really bug me.
    O2 sensor in the most obnoxious place possible
    0926151004a.jpg
    I understand that it is needed for the fuel injection system but couldn't they move it down to a slightly less obnoxious location.
    The floating, cram it in there, emissions thing.
    0926151004b.jpg0926151004.jpg
    This looks worse in person than it does in the pictures. The external oil line up to the head doesn't look to bad, but when I see this on a modern motorcycle the first thing I think is that an engineer screwed up. The internal passageways aren't doing their job so they stuck a fix on the outside.
    At just over $5k the price is attractive. Maybe the aftermarket will fix the glitches.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

Is it possible that the tube would help serve as an oil cooler of sorts? I am not a mechanic just curious.

Tom
    scotti158 likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

The original SR500 also had the external oil line to the head and it probably does cool the oil some. It also has the dry sump lube system, carries the engine oil in the front down tube of the frame, that also must help keep the oil cool. My XV1600 also has external lines to the head and dry sump system. I'm sure that "emissions thing" would end up somewhere else if possible, (like the garbage can) if I bought it.
    JustPassinThru likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Personally I thought it was one sexy machine. Then again, I ride a Scrambler frequently. I thought it seemed small when I was on it though.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I've got it in my head that in a year or so I'm going to be able to pick one up cheap and brand new. No e button is going to be a real setback for sales I think. Sure there are those of us that don't find that a problem at all, but I don't think we comprise the market anymore. Maybe that's wishful thinking....
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    I've got it in my head that in a year or so I'm going to be able to pick one up cheap and brand new. No e button is going to be a real setback for sales I think. Sure there are those of us that don't find that a problem at all, but I don't think we comprise the market anymore. Maybe that's wishful thinking....
    I love that bike and was sitting on one just two days ago. My problem with it is a local price tag of $5,899.00 which is ludicrous for what the machine is. That does not even include the obligatory 4 or $500 of add on charges. Need to be an honest $1000 cheaper for me to consider it.

Tom

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Agree, too much $. It felt small to me too, even the new CB1100 felt smaller than I remembered the old CB's felt.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Agree, too much $. It felt small to me too, even the new CB1100 felt smaller than I remembered the old CB's felt.
    I was fine with the size overall. Heck it felt sweet to me. I need the option of a windscreen and less money though. At the current price I would MUCH rather spend $500 more and get the Honda CB500X.

Tom
    littletommy likes this.

A common modification is to split that external oil line so that it provides positive lubrication to both the intake and exhaust valve train. There is likely no significant cooling from the external line - but there are several kits to do the split line. That is what i did with my 1978 SR500

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    I was fine with the size overall. Heck it felt sweet to me. I need the option of a windscreen and less money though. At the current price I would MUCH rather spend $500 more and get the Honda CB500X.

Tom
    Probably me too Tom.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links