Which Adventure Motorcycle is the Best Buy? - Is the Honda Africa Twin a Contender?
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Which Adventure Motorcycle is the Best Buy? - Is the Honda Africa Twin a Contender?

Which Adventure Motorcycle is the Best Buy? - Is the Honda Africa Twin a Contender?

1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I'm sure it'll be a nice bike, but it's HEAVY (520 lbs) and will have a fairly tall seat. My choice is still the Tiger 800 XCx (470 lbs) if you want to do lots of off-road. If only light off-road, the new V-Strom 1000 would be my pick.
    Motoad likes this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

As owner of a BMW Dakar, I'm partial to them. They are expensive, but only brand new. I bought mine, a 2003, in 2008 with 2,700 miles on it for $2,500. The housing bubble burst and a contractor had to sell his toys. I was in the right spot at the right time, but still, used bikes are the better deal. Lots of 'old guys' reverting to their second childhood who have the dough, find out they aren't 30-something any more. (Not that ANY TW200 owner falls into that category.)

First photo; Lost Coast
    Second photo; somewhere near Lassen National Park (I think...)

2 weeks at a time, no schedule, no timetable. Just ride and when late afternoon rolls around, find some water and set up a camp for the night.

Last edited by Ski Pro 3; 09-29-2015 at 09:10 PM.
    ZDR1 likes this.
    The bear slayer!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The Dakar is a nice bike. A friend here bought a wrecked one about a year or so ago and I was the one to rebuild it for him, so I got to know it quite intimately. His was a 2006. It was a LOT like my DR650 but with a smoother motor thanks to the EFI and about 70 lbs more weight... but really was a good bike. It's a shame he sold it cheap and I didn't have the money to buy it, because I would have.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

A friend of mine has the 650 Strom and rides/rode it daily; rain or shine, and he lives in Oregon! Ha! That bike has mad skills on fire roads and even trails.

The bear slayer!

The 650 Wee Strom is a pretty darn good all 'rounder, but I think the author might be right about the Super 10 in this comparison. Everyone has a different idea of what an adventure bike or adventure riding is, but the article seems to be focused on the big bore 90/10 street oriented ADV bikes. The Wee rightfully gets left out of that group because of what 85mph+ cruising speeds does to passing power and fuel economy on that bike.

The S10 is probably the least sexy bike on the list, but that's also what makes it a great tourer. Solid, tractable, reliable, without any pretense of being a rally racer.

The author goes on and on about cruise control, but the feature that really matters on big-mile tourers is a shaft drive. Shaft drive makes life so much easier, I honestly can't understand lumping chain drive and shaft drive bikes into the same category as the author has done in the article.

I can see the V-Strom 1000 being a good choice for the budget minded, or the KTM 1190 or 1290 being a good choice for the weekend warrior performance junkie, but for big touring I think the Super Tenere might actually be the under-appreciated one to beat.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

At the very least, the definition of an adventure motorcycle is one you can do repairs away from civilization, not just get away from civilization. Reading all those 'doo-dads', I'd have a hard time admitting those are true adventure rides. You classified them better with a description of 'big mile tourer'. Even the author of the article refers to them as touring and that the lack of cruise control on the Honda eliminates them from the Adventure class. I think he's confusing the two riding genres; touring and adventure.
    jbfla likes this.
    The bear slayer!

Damn things all look like "Crotch Rockets"....
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

I like em all. Like people are saying it truly depends on what you are going to use the bike for. I know from years of riding a big GS it really was a challenge in rough off road situations and I'm not really a small guy. I do love the look of the new AT though, it is very pleasing to my eye. I've seen some videos of what the pro riders can do with the new AT off road, but it will remain to be seen what a regular guy can accomplish. I'm hoping to get one in the spring so maybe I will just find out first hand. Everything is relative. A lot of folks consider the KLR to be a heavy bike, but I don't find it to be so personally.
    TWilight likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Just wish they would come up with a nice ADV based on the 450 CRF or WR and it not costing 15K.
    admiral and Borneo like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links