Zero 2016 Lineup includes two new models. One of them is and Adventure version!
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By VintageGW
  • 1 Post By JustPassinThru

Thread: Zero 2016 Lineup includes two new models. One of them is and Adventure version!

Zero 2016 Lineup includes two new models. One of them is an Adventure version!

However, before you get your checkbook out or credit card warmed up, be aware of the ever nasty sticker shock. Clearly, these bikes are not meant for over the road adventure travels. They do offer some unique features that are very appealing. I will ride one in the weeks to come and post my impressions.
    Motorcycle.com says:
    " Also introduced is an all-new Z-Force motor, the Z-Force IPM (Interior Permanent Magnet), Zero claims is more efficient, faster to cool and boasts a higher thermal capacity. What this means in the real world is the ability to ride it harder for longer and sustain higher top speeds. The following 2016 models will come equipped with the updated motor: Zero DSR, Zero SR, Zero FXS, Zero S ZF13.0 and Zero DS ZF13.0."

The Zero DSR and FX models are my personal favs. DSR has decent range, 179 miles, but the FX looks like a competent off-road machine with real suspension and brakes unlike earlier models.
    2016_zero-ds_product-page_dsr-image_15597.jpg 2016_zero-fx_product-page_overview-image_15597.jpg

Zero DS Electric Motorcycle - Specs || ZERO MOTORCYCLES

Zero FX Electric Motorcycle || ZERO MOTORCYCLES

They are in Orlando this weekend at the AIMExpo (October 16-18th) if you happen to be in the neighborhood.
    Last edited by VintageGW; 10-16-2015 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added graphics
    jtomelliott49 and Dryden-Tdub like this.

VintageGW's
    4 GL1000 Some of these are for sale....
    1 GL1800
    Gone to a good home - '04 TW200 - Mulita!

Quote Originally Posted by VintageGW View Post
    DSR has decent range, 179 miles
    2016_zero-ds_product-page_dsr-image_15597.jpg
    179 miles is not decent range for an adventure motorcycle.

It's low even if all you had to do was spend a couple of minutes filling up before you could get going again.

Electric bikes make a certain kind of sense for trials, drag racing, and even MX/enduro racing, but electric technology and infrastructure has a very very long way to go before it's a viable option for touring.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

The Yamaha dealer I bought my TW from, also has a Zero franchise. They were offering no-obligation test rides; and I asked the sales manager if he'd have a problem. Knowing I wouldn't be buying that day.

Sure, he said. It was a slow day there. I expected a toy...but that thing had as much snap as my CB1100. Before I left, the sales guy told me to leave it in ECON at first, since it really could toss a rider.

I don't doubt it. I had it over 70, in a very short distance. PLENTY of oomph.

The range is a real problem; but for an around-town scooter, it seems entirely practical. And when you take the mechanical maintenance that you do NOT have, out of the picture...it becomes almost cost-effective, too.
    VintageGW likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

484 miles east from the geographical center of the United States
    Very interesting.
    "Tolerance is not the same thing as acceptance, and acceptance is not the same thing as an endorsement"

"MAGA" - "WWG1-WGA"

Life Member VFW / Life Member NRA / 1991 TW200 (sold) / 2016 CSC RX3 / Ford 1000 compact utility tractor with a snowblower

Sponosred Links