Honda Introduces the 2016 VFR 1200X Adventure Tourer
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Honda Introduces the 2016 VFR 1200X Adventure Tourer

Honda Introduces the 2016 VFR 1200X Adventure Tourer

DonBenito and kj7687 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Well crap, there goes all of my money.

Does anybody want to buy a Tiger Explorer?
    littletommy likes this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Mel
    This thing looks like a rework of the old Magna V65 that I loved so much. It was an 1100cc and would tear your hands off of the handlebars. 1200cc's for dual sport. How do you keep from spinning the back tire??

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    This thing looks like a rework of the old Magna V65 that I loved so much. It was an 1100cc and would tear your hands off of the handlebars. 1200cc's for dual sport. How do you keep from spinning the back tire??
    I would have preferred a re-work of the VFR 800 as an adv-touring bike.

jb
    Mel, Peterb and Ebbanflood like this.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

I don't know, seems like Honda really is missing the mark with this one. I'm curious to see what the price point is, if its in the 16k ballpark like the vfr1200 is.... no thanks.

It appears its primary focus is going to be road but compared to other bikes in its class( 1200 Multistrada and BMW 1000XR come to mind quickly in the ADV touring class) its already seriously outgunned in both performance and features. It is low on power, really heavy(over 610#) has odd sized wheels for a road focused bike(std sportbike sizes would be better) and no active suspension, lean sensitive ABS, cruise control, adjustable engine maps, etc. Its based off the VFR1200 which by all accounts was a dud here in the states which is why they practically had to give them away.

I love V4 Honda motyorcycles but to me they have lost their way with them. They are too heavy, low on power and don't perform compared to their rivals. I test rode a VFR1200F before i bought my Multistrada and didn't like it from minute one. Nanny torque controls on first and second bothered me and i hate linked brakes. It was also really heavy and didn't handle real well, suspension was mush. In my eyes Honda needs to bring back bikes like the VF500/700/1000 bikes. If they want to make a standard bring back the V65 Sabre( i loved mine when i had it), shoot that bike in 1985 had more power than this 1200 does today and probably handles about the same.
    Last edited by jb882; 10-26-2015 at 02:58 PM.
    jbfla and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I don't think Honda missed the mark at all with the VFR1200X Crosstourer. I think they nailed exactly what they set out to build, which is a large ADV tourer that is focused on doing the things that 90%+ of large ADV tourer riders do with these bikes. It's primarily a highway tourer that can haul 2 people and a big luggage kit hundreds of miles a day comfortably, and you can ride it down a dirt road to a campsite or over a few unpaved passes while you're far from home on a trip without breaking fairings and stuff.

I don't think the VFR1200X is going up against the Ducati Multistrada, BMW 1000XR, or KTM 1290. Those bikes are all about performance, at the expense of touring comfort and reliability (i.e. maintenance intervals, shaft drive). That's not a knock on any of those awesome bikes, their focus is just somewhere else.

The VFR is probably closest in its balance to the Triumph Tiger Explorer, which also trends to the paved side of ADV riding. If the VFR was available here a year and a half ago, I would have bought one instead of my Tiger Explorer.

The VFR is more up against the BMW R1200GS, the Yamaha Super Tenere, the Triumph Tiger Explorer, and Sport-Touring bikes than anything else. In that field, it's a pretty exciting new option. It's a very well-reviewed bike in the overseas markets where it's available. In typical Honda fashion, it's a little porky for its segment but you can be sure it'll be solid as a rock and hey, rocks are heavy too.

The VFR1200F was kind of a flop largely because it didn't have a big enough gas tank to be a good sport tourer, and it's hopelessly outmatched in performance by the much lighter hypersports that it was thrown in with. That V4 looks pretty wimpy next to a ZX-14R, but next to a Super Tenere it's downright face-melting.

The Africa Twin is Honda's attempt to tackle the more dirt-oriented middleweight ADV market, that's the bike they're putting up against the F800GS, Tiger 800XC, and used KTM 990s. Now I personally think the new AT is a very disappointing swing-and-a-miss, but the VFR isn't pretending to be a giant dirt bike, it's a touring bike.

I'm psyched about it, it's probably going to be my next big bike.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

I think they are competing in the same class and its a competitive one. I think you would be surprised at what the European bikes can do. The Multistrada for instance is an absolute jack of all trades and can do all of those things you mentioned extremely well and if you want will embarrass some sport bikes and can do track days. Its a very comfortable bike to ride on all day two up if you wanted. With the electronic suspension its literally a swiss army knife with few compromises. Reliability has been a non issue as well in general for the multi, not just mine but the bike overall has a good rep for reliability. Mine has over 20k on the clock and has never been in for a break fix, just maint and tires. And the maint intervals are not really different than the honda calls for. 7.5k oil changes and 15k on the valves and belts. I have done plenty of long trips on mine and the chain has never been an issue. I adjust it but maybe once a year.

If i had to knock the multi in one place it would be range, its not as thirsty as the VFR1200 but its not great, the multi has a 5.4g tank and i think it could use another gallon. I can stretch 200 out of it but i would like more wiggle room. I dont think Honda addressed it enough on the X either, they only added like half a gallon to the tank over the vfr1200f, not sure if will make 200 miles on a tank. I guess we will wait and see..

I don't know what the maint intervals on the KTM or Beamer are but im sure they are similar.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

All these big azzed ADV bikes. Why can't Honda or Yamaha make a nice street legal CRF,YZF dual sport? If I wanted to take a top heavy pig into the dirt I've got a KLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Why [won't] Honda or Yamaha make a nice street legal CRF,YZF dual sport?

I agree. They really should get on it already.

I'll even settle for a 320 pound WR450R...
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    I think they are competing in the same class and its a competitive one. I think you would be surprised at what the European bikes can do. The Multistrada for instance is an absolute jack of all trades and can do all of those things you mentioned extremely well and if you want will embarrass some sport bikes and can do track days. Its a very comfortable bike to ride on all day two up if you wanted. With the electronic suspension its literally a swiss army knife with few compromises. Reliability has been a non issue as well in general for the multi, not just mine but the bike overall has a good rep for reliability. Mine has over 20k on the clock and has never been in for a break fix, just maint and tires. And the maint intervals are not really different than the honda calls for. 7.5k oil changes and 15k on the valves and belts. I have done plenty of long trips on mine and the chain has never been an issue. I adjust it but maybe once a year.

If i had to knock the multi in one place it would be range, its not as thirsty as the VFR1200 but its not great, the multi has a 5.4g tank and i think it could use another gallon. I can stretch 200 out of it but i would like more wiggle room. I dont think Honda addressed it enough on the X either, they only added like half a gallon to the tank over the vfr1200f, not sure if will make 200 miles on a tank. I guess we will wait and see..

I don't know what the maint intervals on the KTM or Beamer are but im sure they are similar.

I am a member over on the CB500X forum and most people report between 225 and 250 miles between fill ups. YMMV.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links