Late season ride on my CB500F--Hurricane Ridge, WA
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Late season ride on my CB500F--Hurricane Ridge, WA

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar

Late season ride on my CB500F--Hurricane Ridge, WA

I posted this on my CBR forum, but I thought you all might like it too since Port Angeles, WA is the U.S. starting point of Doc's TWWCCCA (=TW West Coast Clam Chowder Adventure). https://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...st-2016-a.html

Last Saturday I met up with a local riding buddy to try to salvage what's left of the riding season up here in the pacific northwest. We rendezvoused at the ferry dock in downtown Seattle to catch the 7:55am Bainbridge Island sailing. It was just getting light, with cool autumn air.

After a 35 minute crossing, we fired up the Hondas, me on my 500F, he on a 919. We met up with another friend in Poulsbo, riding his VFR 750, with plans on meeting up with a few more in Port Angeles. A late breakfast was found there, but not the riders we'd expected. As the weather looked to be turning for the worse, I guess their bravery faded.

Well, we had come this far with the day's ultimate goal of riding up to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park. As we began our ascent, the drops began to fall. The higher we climbed, the harder they fell. What a great, twisty road...too bad we couldn't take full advantage. The forecast was absent of rain, so I'm glad I at least wore my textile gear with liners. My friends however, did not.

At the top, soaking wet, we took in what we could see of the view. Inside the visitors center offered some dryness and warmth. Then, a curious circumstance...the longer we stayed, the better the weather became. Off in the distance, the sun was working its way through the cloud cover. The view, those images began getting clearer, as if life were turning a focus knob. The contrast became vibrant, with the mountain glaciers presenting their blues and greens along with the white snowcaps. The river valleys showed up crisply. Our misery turned to exuberance.

Riding through more fog and rain on the way back down, we pushed on. By the time we had reached the Hood Canal bridge, we were immersed in beams of warm golden rays. Before we were back in Poulsbo, we were dry again.

We won the day. We did not quit. We did not sit and watch television today. We got out there, and we were awesome.

Ebbanflood, Fred, Mel and 9 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

Nice Larry, you will have to go again when that road is dry. Have you done the Olympic Loop on your 500? If not, you should consider it, it's a beautiful ride and the best part is getting to see Randall (Plumbstraight) and Janie.

Very nice brother Larry!!
    Leisure Time Larry likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

We won the day. We did not quit. We did not sit and watch television today. We got out there, and we were awesome.

A few years ago, 35 to be exact, I remember riding my Yamaha RD400 in Rainier National Park. It was awesome. I would just love to ride the Olympic Peninsula one day...when it's sunny. I can just imagine how beautiful it can be. And for some reason I like the ferry rides. Don't know why. Once I rode the ferry from Point Defiance to Vashon Island and over to Southworth I think. It was fun.

Thanks for sharing.
    Leisure Time Larry and dette like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Kris, you and Lori (everyone else too) should plan at least a long weekend out this way next summer! There are so many of us, me, Doc, Plumb, Dette, DaveF, welder, etc. this way that we could have such a good little TW NW meet up and ride. You should really come out for the start of the TWWCCCA. You would get in your ferry crossing, and you'd see most of the Olympic Penninsula. We could go to Capitol State forest, which is quad friendly, and get in some off-roading. Perfect, right?!
    admiral, TWilight, dette and 1 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

I will strongly consider, at least the Capitol Forest part. Sounds like a fun place to ride.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by lrppcer View Post
    Kris, you and Lori (everyone else too) should plan at least a long weekend out this way next summer! There are so many of us, me, Doc, Plumb, Dette, DaveF, welder, etc. this way that we could have such a good little TW NW meet up and ride. You should really come out for the start of the TWWCCCA. You would get in your ferry crossing, and you'd see most of the Olympic Penninsula. We could go to Capitol State forest, which is quad friendly, and get in some off-roading. Perfect, right?!
    YES! I was talking to The Admiral last week about planning a ride up there next year, I was hoping that maybe - just maybe - I would have my full-fledged motorcycle license by then and will have mastered riding the little TW beast and we could come up and ride with some of ya’ll. Right now, the TW has a mind of its own and (sometimes) doesn’t like my commands and does its own thing..
    TWilight, Mel, Dryden-Tdub and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Admiral View Post
    YES! I was talking to The Admiral last week about planning a ride up there next year, I was hoping that maybe - just maybe - I would have my full-fledged motorcycle license by then and will have mastered riding the little TW beast and we could come up and ride with some of ya’ll. Right now, the TW has a mind of its own and (sometimes) doesn’t like my commands and does its own thing..
    Ours must be related!

Tom
    admiral and Mrs. Admiral like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Larry, if you ever want to head out to Cape Flattery on your 500cc, let me know because I would be happy to meet up with you on one of my other bikes......sorry guys, non TW talk

I actually rode all the way out there and the road is spectacular but, we didn't have time and weren't prepared to do a trek down what we were told was a steep incline. I have seen pics of Cape Flattery and it looks like it would be worth it to bring proper shoes and an inhaler (mild asthma sufferer here) to take in those views.
    TWilight likes this.

Thanks Dette, Neah Bay is on my list for sure. I'd like to do some further exploring on your island as well. I came through there once this summer.

@ Blue Fox Drive-In
    Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 10-30-2015 at 10:54 AM.
    admiral and dette like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links