TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

KLR 650 build.

4K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Borneo 
#1 ·
KLR650 build.

Reactions: sponge
#3 ·
Speaking of panniers Doc, have you seen these? The company used to build for Touractech, and the boxes are basically Zegas. The price is amazingly low. Almost half of many other purveyors. I have a set of the PRO's in the 38L size coming for the DRZ.

http://holan.pl/en/16-nomada-pro-panniers (the site is down for maintenance at the moment...check back, they're nice)

View attachment 24156

#4 ·
Wow, those look very nicely built.

#5 · (Edited)
They are incredibly well built, and about half the price of similar boxes. Amazing deal. And of course they will soon be as expensive as all the rest...but for now, great prices.

EDIT: actually, upon checking the Zega Pro II panniers, they are less than one third the price of those. About half the price of HT Tetons, and less than half of what a comparable set of SWmotech cans would cost.

#6 · (Edited)
The Holan site is back after maintenance. Like I said, if you've ever wanted a set of aluminum expedition panniers but balked at the price, check them out. They are basically Zegas. The difference is that a set of Zega Pro II panniers will run you around $1500 and a set of Nomada Pro II panniers will cost less than $400 (for two, in 38L). The Nomada panniers are incredibly well constructed, 2mm side wall and 4mm bottoms.

Here are the Nomadas at less than $400 a set:

View attachment 24170

And here are the Zegas at almost $1500 a set:

View attachment 24171

My understanding is they use the same latches and the lock sets are interchangeable. I don't imagine these prices will hold once Holan makes it's own entry into the market, as noted, they used to build the panniers for Touratech.

I actually deviated from my usual preference for bare aluminum and ordered the grey ones.

View attachment 24172

#7 ·
#8 ·
And here's the long term review that tipped me off to their existence. Interestingly Alexsandra referred to in the review is still there and she responded to all my inquiries in an incredibly prompt and efficient fashion. Even if she does call Monday "Mondat" :D Earth-Roamers : Holan Nomada panniers

Eventually I will get around to posting a thread on the extensive modifications that are happening to the DRZ, probably after I finally get a trip report cranked out on the James Bay trip....

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
Zega bags are good, BUT.......the beauty of Jesse bags are that they are built like a granite rock, and.....they are not designed to be pretty. They are designed to be a tool on the bike, to allow you to lay the bike over onto its' side, and do maintenance or repair if needed.

For a STREET ridden "adventure" bike, I would go with the Holans....as you said, same as Zegas, but 1/3rd the money.

But for Off-road "adventure" riding, I would have to stick with the Jesse bags.
Through hard personal experience I can certainly vouch for the durability of the Jesse panniers. I was doing around 65 kph when I highsided and did the smackdown on the Trans Lab back in 2011. Damage to the right pannier was minimal. I only wish my shoulder had faired as well.:( The pannier did get ripped from the bike and twisted pretty good but with some jumping and kicking by my buddy(similar to Borneo's youtube video) we were able to reinstall it. Once home a bit of hammering,tweaking,a skim of body fill and a coat of bedliner the pannier is as good as new. Those Primus bottles are pretty tough as well.:) And yes those are 6 leaf and 4 leaf clovers. Some might think they didn't bring me much luck but when I think of just how much worse the outcome could have been I think they did their job.:D
Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Tire Automotive wheel system
Baggage Bag Fashion accessory Luggage and bags
Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive exterior Motorcycle accessories

Highjack.....did someone say highjack???

#10 ·
Well, Doc, I have the Jessies on my KLR as noted, but the fit on the DRZ would have been crap city, and I would have had to fill the slots they come with in order to mount them. So, I nixed that. Currently the Tetons are on the DRZ, but those are going back on the TW and the new Holan Pro II Nomada panniers will go on the DRZ adventure build. I researched the heck out of them and I'm convinced they are very tough...arguably not as tough as the Jesse cans, simply because Jesse builds those complex angles in and they greatly increase rigidity. The KLR has already been down on the Jessies, and other than sliding them a bit on the mounts, and a minor scuff to the powder coat...no damage. Very tough indeed.

From what I've seen, the Holans are pretty darned crash worthy. We shall see once they arrive. They are supposed to be shipped from Poland on "Mondat."

I would still like to have a set of Metal Mules for the Triumph some day...but dayammm they are pricey. I have MM racks on it now. The Mules are way tough though, that's for sure.

Watch him lift the front of the tractor at around 4:45...

#12 ·
I am quite familiar with the Touratech products
Yeah, me too. :D Back when I rode GS's they were responsible for making my bikes more expensive than the truck I drove. Pricey stuff. Good gear, no question, but really, really, expensive. I moved past all that long ago, and now look for the most durable, functional and appropriate equipment I can get at a reasonable price. Stuff tends to go down when I ride it, so it just makes sense.

#13 ·
No lever guards...

#19 ·
I can vouch for the Happy Trail panniers as well...very sturdy. I've dropped the KLR more than once, and except for some scratches in the powder coat, they're still going strong.

We also ran into this rider after Weston Pass this summer. His pannier was almost completely ripped off in a crash on the pass. I was able to bend the box back into shape by standing on it. We got it mounted back up and it was holding pretty well. He needed to get a large fender washer to support the mounting hole in the pannier, and it would be fine.

What makes me nervous with the hard panniers is the risk of injury. More than once, I have gotten my leg caught in them...thankfully just enough to be a reminder "watch your technique", but it has never happened with the soft bags...so those are my preference for off road. The locking feature of the hard bags is hard to dismiss in certain circumstances, though. Its great being able to just lock them up and leave them on the bike overnight.

This post has been deleted
#20 ·
Yes, back in Rhode Island. Got in Saturday evening.

#21 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.