5 Tough Touring Bikes We Love...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 5 Tough Touring Bikes We Love...

5 Tough Touring Bikes We Love...

Jon62602 and Elvesus like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I like 'em!
    But I don't have even one of them.
    Two DR650's though
    littletommy likes this.
    James

Attitude =

The difference between

Ordeal and Adventure

I have an '08 KLR and really like the bike. It's cheap and simple. Very dependable too. The DR 650's are great bikes too JagLite. I ahve a few friends that ride them. I would have bout a DR but the KLR showed up on Craigslist with 1100 miles and the price was way right so I jumped on it. He bought it new and it was in showroom condition. Picked it up for $3,100 bucks cash. Half price for a new bike practically.
    littletommy, DaveF and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    Ride Safe.......You're the BUMPER!Hidden Content

2003 Yamaha TW200
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
    2005 BMW K1200S
    2009 Honda 420 Rancher 4x4
    Hill Billy Bags

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I know that Triumph Tiger XC is tough. I met up with a few guys in Nevada and we rode through the desert all day at some ridiculously high speeds. I was on my 1150 GS, another on a KTM another on a KLR and one of the guys was on the Triumph Tiger XC. He must have fallen a dozen times and all of them high speed get offs. At the end of the day the bike and rider each showed minimal damage. That guy and that bike can take a punch.

Have the V-Strom, but am seriously fed up with magazines always forgetting the DR650.
    littletommy likes this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Have the V-Strom, but am seriously fed up with magazines always forgetting the DR650.

I noticed after years of motorcycle magazine reading that getting older we know more than the writers. What I have read is the DR650 is perfect bike for economical Adventure riding. But finding that data for someone with less time reading magazines would be impossible because it's lost in the archives. I went on a motorcycle Adventure Rally a few years ago in Carson Valley NV with rides through the CA mountains. Out of all the bikes there of all price points I came away with the most respect for a customized DR400.

Sadly, writers these days rarely know all that much about what their topic. If they're assigned a story like this one, about all they do is go to each mfr's website and pick some models, and throw something together from that. And with no actual knowledge about a particular model, it's easy to overlook the DR650 (or even the DRZ400) because they don't look at all fancy or modern. Same would go for the Honda XR650L.

So what they don't get, that only those of us who own them will, is that these bikes are more like a blank canvas, ready to be customized by each owner, according to his specific needs. Like, I don't need the KLR650's fancy bodywork, and we usually change windscreens anyway, so why have one that just has to be replaced? That sort of thing.

The new Top Gear show, for example... I never watched the old one (I thought it was stupid), but the new one is gonna be even worse. The people hosting it DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CARS from what I've read. So again, we just have some idiots driving around in cars doing stupid stuff.

Sigh.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

New KLR's. Getting ATV tires mounted at the dealership, I wondered around and saw 2 new KLR's. At first glance I thought they were Sport Bikes. The fairing on the front looked more like a space ship than for a dual purpose motorcycle. They are bigger than I thought and seem/look different in person from what the photo's show. Guess they would be comfy on the highway but way too big for the places I ride. Aren't the older KLR's smaller? Maybe they look smaller with less body cover stuff.

Not related to the thread, but I also saw some nice big KTM EXC 500 Dual Sport Bikes. I think they were 16 hands tall. I'd need a step latter! But they looked cool!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    Great article about the U.P. I hope yous guys read it. MBW

Yeah the KLRs are huge. The old ones are almost as big. I think the frame is the same, but the bodywork is far less, and more like the DR650. The weight of the old ones is also much closer to the DR. The current KLRs are 440 at least. A friend weighed his 2009 KLR with a skid plate and crash bars and it came to 475 lbs. He prefers his DRZ400 to it (speaking of Chuck, the guy who's coming out to meet me a week early in Moab).

The KTM is an awesome bike but with a 37 or 39" seat height, it's nuts. Plus it's like $9500. No thanks.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links