Dr650
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Dr650

Dr650

Been reading about the DR650 on the ADVRIDER.COM forum. I've read alot of good things and alot of bad things. The worst bad trait I've read about so far is regarding 3rd gear failures. Granted , the overall thread consensus is this failure is approximately. 01%%---.001%??? , of said produced DR650's. Hence , nothing "really" to worry about. Speculation on the 3rd gear issue is a potential heat treat issue during production. The problem is , the failures have occurred in sporadic model years?. My take is this: With all the modifications done to the DR650 by some folks for additional power etc , they've over loaded a component of said tranny? .
    Has anyone on this forum who owns a DR650 has issue with this machine. Yes , I'm aware some folks could destroy a tank given time. Your thoughts . TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    .....consensus is this failure is approximately. 01%%---.001%??? , of said produced DR650's......
    That failure rate could apply to nearly any model of motorcycle....KLR doohicky, BMW final drive failure...and more.

No hint of a problem with my '07 DR.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

My 06 DR650 served me very well for 9 years. For 8 of those years it carried a Ural sidecar. I rode it hard and vigorously and never had clutch or tranny problems.
    Although air cooled it was not a problem even after I moved to Hawaii. They are powerful and dependable, but any bike can have problems if abused.
    I only sold it because with my leg disabilities it was getting difficult to ride properly.
    Phelonius

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

No one yet has built a perfect machine. My KLR is a good example. The problems are known and I've done things to correct them,but by the same token I've know people who have thousands of trouble free mile with no mods at all.If you like the DR then get one. Just maintain it and keep an eye on it and enjoy.
    BillPacific likes this.

Not too many DR's have had the 3rd gear go, so I wouldn't be worried about that. The nsu screws are the issue and are easy to fix, also the countershaft seal is known sometimes to come out, but was said the new models come with a cover to hold it in. Procycle also has the counter shaft seal cover, also a easy fix. Few other misc issues, like upper chain roller needs removed, head bearings not very well greased. The only issue I had with mine was the shifter seal came out, I put a new 1 in and put some nylon washers between the shifter and seal and haven't ever had a issue after that. Many..... of these bikes sold, gotta be a reason right
    Last edited by Gulfrider; 11-18-2015 at 04:40 PM.
    frog13 likes this.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

I had no issues at all with mine. It was a great bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Minicogs likes this.
    "Life Member NRA"

I never had a mechanical issue of any kind with my DR-650. If I had a complaint it would be that 1st gear is too tall but that is easily corrected with a sprocket change.

All reassuring responses. I'm aware that even the "finest" of bikes , cars or trucks etc have an issue or two. It probably is an issue of abuse ( riding the machine repeatedly beyond design limits.....as it were?). If I were to obtain a DR650, it would primarily be used on the road , gravel or an easy trail from time to time. Any real off road I'd use the TW!. Again thanks for the informed responses.
    jeepster09 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    All reassuring responses. I'm aware that even the "finest" of bikes , cars or trucks etc have an issue or two. It probably is an issue of abuse ( riding the machine repeatedly beyond design limits.....as it were?). If I were to obtain a DR650, it would primarily be used on the road , gravel or an easy trail from time to time. Any real off road I'd use the TW!. Again thanks for the informed responses.
    I went through the same analysis when I was looking at big thumpers. It came down to the DR or the KLR. Obviously I decided on the KLR, but the call was closer than you might think. What sold me really was I engaged in some serious introspection and realized I would be using the bike primarily on two lane paved roads, gravel roads and only occasionally in true off road situations. Overall, the New Edition's seat was better, the tank was far larger, and the fairing considerably improved road comfort and I'm well aware of what that means on long trips. So, the KLR won. But I still think the DR is a great machine.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I love my DR650 (what do you want me to say--I am selling it! $2500).
    My counter sprocket seal leaked (a more common issue) and I had it replaced together with a seal saver from Procycyle.
    This was my favorite dual sport bike until I got a Suzuki DRZ400S--easier in the dirt but not as long distance friendly.
    Tons of upgrades/new parts on mine.
    Simba

jtomelliott49 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links