I want another bike. Advice on the KLR please!
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: I want another bike. Advice on the KLR please!

I want another bike. Advice on the KLR please!

I want a bike to fill a void between a TW and a Ducati Scrambler. I want to be able to travel long distances comfortably, I want low cost and the ability to handle dirt and sand well which the Ducati definitely does not. My complaint with the TW is its lack of ability to top 50! I love it around town, off-road and as a commuter, just need an additional bike. I went to the local dealer (Mainland Cycle Center) today and they have a couple of nice used bikes. I found the one in the link below just now but have not seen it yet. I LOVE the accessories on that bike. Is the price good?

My biggest question for you guys is, being a fan of simple bikes like the Scrambler and Tw, are there any specific model years for the KLR that I should look for or avoid? I know there have been some changes through the years. What are the opinions of this bike by those who have spent time on it? Cheers! J

2014 Kawasaki KLR? 650 New Edition Stock: 77097 | Tejas Motorsports

are any of the 3 KLR's in this inventory worth considering?

http://www.mainlandcyclecenter.com/inventory/used
    Last edited by JasonTX; 12-11-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Some nice stuff on that. They just sit so high though. With that mileage and in that condition, it seems fair. You might look at a DR 650 also. Same power, sits lower. Or a Suzuki V Strom....
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Who on earth would buy a V Strom Tommy!?! I was on one today. Absolutely gorgeous bike. If I were looking for road only long distance touring that would be the ticket! I want to keep true dirt capabilities

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
    Who on earth would buy a V Strom Tommy!?! I was on one today. Absolutely gorgeous bike. If I were looking for road only long distance touring that would be the ticket! I want to keep true dirt capabilities
    I never understood why they would put the oil filter in a place where it's going to get whacked by road or trail debris.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

I won't be taking mine off road, but I bet down the road, it will have a nice sidecar on it....

I think 1000cc's of instant power and torque would be a bit much for me off road with that V Strom. It is a rocket ship!!
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

I've got a '95 KLR and really enjoy it on the back roads and it does good on the highway. Doing the speed limit is no problem. The 6 gallon tank is also a plus. I think 2007 is when they did the last makeover with a larger fairing, better suspension and an improved balancer chain tensioner. I don't remember if the brakes got upgraded or what else they did that year. It is a tall and heavy bike, which makes it a handful off road. If had mine on some tight woods trails but it is a major work out and a lot of clutch slipping, 1st gear is geared high. The engine is strong with the exception of the balancer chain tensioner. (The "doo-hickey" on the KLR Forums.) They have been making them for a lot of years so aftermarket upgrades are readily available.
    jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

The KLR is a nice bike. I love mine but as far as dirt riding goes, I'd stick to forest service roads & well maintained trails.
    Its tall, top heavy & tall geared for "Real dirt riding"..
    Top speed is 100 mph & around 220 mi before I'm on reserve . I put a Corbin saddle on it to lower the seat height .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLR650

This will show the updates over the years....
    Bobo413, JasonTX and TWilight like this.

I had a 2008 KLR and sold it to get the TW. It was a good bike for running around town on and riding on the highway but when I took it on the forest roads and some other spots on the dirt I found just how top heavy it is. I liked the 6 gallon tank and at 50mpg, I had a good range with it. Mine had progressive springs in the forks and a motech crash bars installed. Really had no complaints with it with the exception that it was a bit of a beast in the dirt. It doesn't do anything outstanding but it will do just about anything within reason. 2008 was the year of the last real upgrade and there are quite a number of complaints that they burn a bit of oil. I never had a problem with that. I think in 2014 the redesigned the seat other than that they are more or less the same from 2008. Good bike just didn't do,what I wanted it to do while puttering along dirt roads.

Thanks for the useful info guys. That link was quite helpful Tommy. Flieg, I hear what you're saying, but Im definitely not looking to replace the TW, just need something capable of highway speeds while keeping some offroad capabilities. The TW would smoke the KLR in the rocky and hilly terrain of central TX offroad as well as the beaches here on the coast. Here in TX we have long, very long highway rides to get to me to memorable places to ride. I need a compromise bike.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links