Because my legs still work... My eMTB T-Dub replacement
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Because my legs still work... My eMTB T-Dub replacement

Because my legs still work... My eMTB T-Dub replacement

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Finally replaced my T-Dub with an entry level eMTB a month or so ago. Thought I'd start with something reasonably priced and powerful enough to help push this 225+ pounder up the ocassional hill and against costal head winds. Ended up with a KHS 650B/27.5" hardtail MTB with a BaFang 8FUN BBS02 500W hot-rodded mid-drive system. This basic eMTB assists the rider while pedaling up to 28mph+ and has a thumb throttle assist too. It's built by BMEBikes in Northridge, CA and the KHS MTB is a Rancho Dominguez, CA company; both are local to SoCal. Here it is during its' first charge.

So far I've logged over 100 miles on her and added a pair of Ergon GP5 grips with bar ends and an ISM Adamo Typhoon no numbness saddle. Santa slide some RockShox TK 30 Gold Air Solo front forks under the tree, so those will be going on ASAP (NOTE: If you ever buy a MTB make sure it has a front fork "Lockout" on it and adjustments - those features are worth every penny extra you pay!)

The Santa Ana Riverbed Trail, San Gabriel Riverbed Trail and the Fullerton Loop have become good friends while testing this thing out. Great way to get back into shape exercising and out of the house. Even with the electric mid-drive motor assist you get a really good workout. Don't think a mid-drive eBike will do all the work. It's just enough assistance to make most any ride enjoyable.

So far my rides have been about 15-25 miles each. At level 5 (has 1-5), it really pushes you along and cruising at 22-24mph isn't that difficult. Road bikes are surprised when you push by them on a MTB with big knobby tires on the pavement. It has turned this mild mannered couch patato into the bionic man with the push of a button!

Can't wait to feel fit and trim again, hopefully by next summer. Gonna take a close look at the new 2016 Honda CB500X-ABS motorcycle next winter after they have been put through their paces for a few months and reports are in; plus a little yearend discounting never hurts.
    Last edited by Little Brute; 01-01-2016 at 10:46 AM.
    TW200 "Little Brute" is gone - Waiting to see what 2016 brings (WR250R/CRF250 RALLY/KTM390/Africa Twin or E-bicycle?)

So what does a bike like that run? If you don't care to say outright maybe a link? Nice write up.

Tom
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Very Nice, beats being pulled by a Great Dane ( my old trick).
    What is your e-bike's all-up weight? i.e. how much extra weight does the battery, drive motor , and controller add?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I don't mind saying, picked it up on Black Friday special for $1,599 on eBay shipped to my door; about a $100 discount.

Here's a link to pretty much the same 2016 bike:
    XL Performance Electric Mountain Bike M Drive 25 MPH U s Built KHS 650B | eBay

Saved $3,000 over the Hiabike SDURO AllMtn Plus that I was considering. I'll put that extra $$$ towards the CB500X. Maybe
    jtomelliott49 and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    TW200 "Little Brute" is gone - Waiting to see what 2016 brings (WR250R/CRF250 RALLY/KTM390/Africa Twin or E-bicycle?)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Very Nice, beats being pulled by a Great Dane ( my old trick).
    What is your e-bike's all-up weight? i.e. how much extra weight does the battery, drive motor , and controller add?
    I just weighed it with the new grips with bar ends and seat. It came in at 49lbs. That's about what was expected. The BaFang mid-drives are said to weigh 8.5lbs. and the battery on my mine off the bike weighs 6.2lbs. So you can add a similar BaFang 350W up to 1000W mid-drive system to any bike that has the proper crank mount bottom bracket and it will add about 15lbs. to your existing MTB.

The low-end KHS MTB I have has an alloy frame, not: steel, titanium or carbon fiber. This bike itself apparently weighs about 34.3lbs. I'm hoping the new front Solo Air forks with alloy stem will reduce the weight by 1-2lbs. We will see once installed...

Funny you should mention the Great Dane engine. My neighbor as a child had a Great Dane and he used to let me ride it like a horse when I was small. The dog didn't seem to mind at all. The kids on our block were also known to attach lawn mowers to our wagons and let them pull us around the neighborhood. Reminds me of the Little Rascals on TV back in my day. Ha, ha, ha...
    Last edited by Little Brute; 12-26-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Here is the newest October 2015 article that details the BaFang 750W mid-drive for those that might be interested (mine is a 500W and you will notice at the end they now have a 1000W too):
    https://www.electricbike.com/bafang-750w-bbs02/

Here is a previous August 2015 article as well:
    https://www.electricbike.com/bafang-...50w-mid-drive/

Very nice. Any sort of power meter? Would be a bogus to get way way out there
    and lose sufficient charge to get home! I've often contemplated mounting a small
    4 stroke (50cc) onto one of those cheap really fat tire bikes from Walmart . Be careful
    with aluminum frames an such. Aluminum work hardens easily then snaps. Exceeding max
    limits can make some excitement.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Yes, the BaFang's have a nice LED display that has a horizontal power bar. This bike is rated at 35+ miles range by the builder. I think his stats on that are more accurate than most. My first battery test set at the highest level (5) and using the throttle on and off when I hit hills and some throttle cruising went 20 miles before it started cutting out. It seems as the battery gets low the assist top speed level decreases; meaning it would assist up to 20 MPH, then 15mph and so forth until it died. That was on the very first charge.

The next test I did was at level 3 without using the throttle. After riding 24 miles it still had 3 of 6 bars on the power bar. That said, when riding it only showed 1-2 bars depending on the stress it was under. My guess is that it measures the load in realtime. I think it would do the 35 miles on level 3 and even more on 1 or 2. I will get around to testing that eventually, but i will have to plan the route so that when it dies I'm up wind or close to the car.

I find the throttle alone rather boring. It will push you along in complete silence, but not much excitement at speeds in the 20's. Where it does come in handy is when climbing a steep hill off road. If your cadence starts to drop, you can push the thumb throttle for a continued assist to get you over the top. Adding a second front spocket will make its off road ability much better. It came with a 46T front and my research indicates a good choice is 34T front for off road, but I like it the way it is for multipurpose use. Having both options would be even better.

Haven't taken the time to review all the display settings or change any of the setup BME puts in stock. It seems to work wonderfully as is. There is a large speed readout and mileage while riding, plus the battery level bar dispalyed in realtime. I think you can change the display for watts, amps and other readings, but not sure or even how to do it.

135 miles now after yesterdays ride. This thing is just plain fun to ride!

A couple weeks ago I rode with a group of three other non-electric MTB riders. I could just leave them in the weeds just about anytime I wanted. It climbs hills like a tank as long as you keep the cadence up. The one area the standard full suspension MTB's shine is on the down hills. A hardtail like mine is a bit more unpredictable when flying down a hill than something with rear suspension.

The other thing about full suspension is you'll bend/break less things when you have it.
    Esp as you get more and more daring. Most modern stuff "locks out" for efficiency.
    Real drag to bend a rim 10 miles from the road. I sure wait anxiously for a
    long range light weight off road E bike. An acquaintance of mine has one he set up
    (mo $ than I wish to spend) so he can ride on "motorbike prohibited" trails.....hard to
    hear an e bike. Many authorities are confounded when faced with an Ebike on MTB
    trails and don't cite him (or don't even notice him).
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

I know the Haibike SDURO AllMtn Plus with its' full suspension, 3" wide tires and Yamaha dual front sprocket electric mid-drive I'd like to have would be a Caddy off-road campared to this hardtail. After a year of riding this, I'm sure I'll trade up if/as I get into the sport more.

What the electric mid-drive eMTB's do for me is allow this aging guy to get back into the game. Luckily here in California a "Class 1" eBike is not considered a motorized vehicle and is legally ridable in any place a bicycle is legal to ride. A Class 1 is limited to pedal asist only (no throttle) up to 20mph with a maximum 750W electric motor. Most eMTB's are built this way in the USA. I ride with an LAPD officer my age. He took it for a spin on our last ride and was suprised how the mid-drive functioned. He said it wasn't anything like he thought it would be. It's nothing like a motorcycle. It just makes pedaling easier.

He didn't even know the rules or Class levels of the new California law. Technically my bike isn't a Class 1, but that's how I ride it off-road. No one is going to bother you if you aren't doing something supid or getting out of control and endangering others. Riding this with just the throttle off-road wouldn't be any fun at all. Pedaling actually keeps you involved at these low speeds and helps with balance.

An issue that may come up if eMTB's take off, is many now have different settings to make them a bicycle only, Class 1, Class 2, etc... It will be hard to determine what setting someone is using. It would be sad to see them block use of any bike that has the "ability" to be more than a Class 1. Any issues like that are probably many years away with this somewhat new technology.
    Last edited by Little Brute; 12-28-2015 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links