Do we have any members here who own a Suzuki DL1000 (V-Strom) ?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Do we have any members here who own a Suzuki DL1000 (V-Strom) ?

Question Do we have any members here who own a Suzuki DL1000 (V-Strom) ?

Looking for some info on tires for the 1000cc model. If you own one, post up please. Thanks!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I don't own a Strom but can i ask what you are looking for in a tire?

Without knowing and making an assumption that your Strom is a road bike i highly recommend the Michelin Pilot road 4. they make a "trail" model in your size. I currently run the PR4's on my Multi and i'm pretty impressed with them. They wear great, great grip and great in the rain, i currently have ~8k on mine now. The tires i ran before that were the factory scorpion trails and i went thru a set of those every 2-3k before the rear was corded. These Michelins like i said have 8k on them and still have a ton of life left. I don't feel i gave up anything in grip vs the scorpion trails and they are vastly superior to the scorpion trails in the rain.
    littletommy likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Tommy, from what you and I have discussed, it sounded like you had no real plans to take it on dirt, correct? If so, I think the best tire you can get is the Michelin Pilot Road 4. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it, from sport bikes to touring bikes to so on.
    littletommy and Hidebound like this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Another vote for the Pilot Road 4 here! I'm on my second set of Pilot Road 3's now and love them. I've never slipped on wet roads with them yet!
    littletommy likes this.

Thanks Guys. I was hoping we had a couple Vee owners, but I don't know, I might be the only one? The reason I was asking for 1000cc owners, was; I believe the difference between the Wee and the Vee is quite substantial. A Vee owner would know what I am talking about. They might have toned them down a bit now, but a 2005 stock Vee is a crazy, twitchy, suicidal bike that wants to kill you if you don't use a lot of finesse, all the time. So, I need the very best sticky, long wearing, load bearing, high speed tire I can find. I have looked at quite a few reviews of tires for the Vee, but honestly, I just don't know what is one of the best tires for it. I'm not in the financial position to just get a different pair if I don't like them. I will be stuck with what I choose. Also, I will be teaching my sister to ride a bike this year, so she will be spending a lot of time on the back of the Vee for a while while I attempt to teach her enough not to kill herself. I need a quality tire. Also, with my weight and her weight, (she's a tall big boned gal and weighs more than most women, but not overly fat like me) I believe we will be overdoing the load capacity of the bike a bit, so I need all the safety going for us that we can get. I don't plan on ever going off road with it, only street and highway.
    Thanks for the help, I need it!! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    PecosBill likes this.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    Given that your bike is a dual sport, of sorts, what kind of riding are you wanting to do. Street or Offroad ?

My BIL (brother in law) has a 1000 strom and he uses different sized tires than what they call for. He uses a 120/80-19 on front and a 160/70-17 on the back.
    I think those are slightly wider than the original tires.
    Nice to know. Stock for my year is 110's on the front and 150's on the rear. I would go bigger like that if they will fit my 2005. What year is his?
    PecosBill likes this.

I don't know the first thing about those bikes, but I'm still voting for TKC 80's.
    littletommy and Dubster like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

rbm
    LT, stick with the stock size and don't get a higher weight rated set, you won't need them.
    littletommy likes this.

Tommy,
    Here is a video that has more info for you on the PR4.

Like i said im pretty pleased with mine on my multi which like your strom is pretty crazy with the added bonus of 50 more horsepower and a fair bit more torque. The PR4's on mine grip well even with the traction control off. They get the job done.

PecosBill and littletommy like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I had a 07 wee strom for a few years and 22,000kms. Ran the stock trail wings just fine for the first 12,000kms and had no complaints. But decided to try metzler torance tires and was not a fan found the bike to be far more twitchy. I one of the rare ones to rly like the stock trail wings on that bike.

As for difference between the wee and vee. It rly isn't THAT big a difference. The Vee has more grunt but it oddly seems higher in the rev range. Below 4000rpm the wee strom seemed to work better. The Dl1000 also suffers a bit of throttle twitchyness that can be remedied with a tuner.
    Last edited by Tinybear; 01-18-2016 at 05:57 PM.
    littletommy likes this.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links